Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:00 PM
M is for Memory

A file can't be physically too large. It can have too course or too fine of cutting surface.
Your best bet is to get one 1/2"-1" wide by 6-10" long rectangular file with cutting grooves shallower and closer spaced than mechanical pencil lead on down.

Bring a penny or some small piece of metal and ask to try it out. You should get a feel for what you need based on how fast it grinds the sample metal down, how smooth it feels, and how smooth the metal is afterwards....If you have done business with the seller before perhaps you could borrow it from him.

As for how much to remove use the old knob shaft as a guide...Once you have removed almost enough gently try to fit the knob, if too snug remove a bit more, check fit, and repeat till you have it. It is hard to screw up if you pay attention.
All of this should not be hard for you to figure out.
Also make sure you know which way it's going to be installed, and at what position on the shaft's rotation the flat needs to be (so the knob pointer lines up)...That should not be hard for you to figure out.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-22-2015, 06:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
A file can't be physically too large. It can have too course or too fine of cutting surface.
Your best bet is to get one 1/2"-1" wide by 6-10" long rectangular file with cutting grooves shallower and closer spaced than mechanical pencil lead on down.

Bring a penny or some small piece of metal and ask to try it out. You should get a feel for what you need based on how fast it grinds the sample metal down, how smooth it feels, and how smooth the metal is afterwards....If you have done business with the seller before perhaps you could borrow it from him.

As for how much to remove use the old knob shaft as a guide...Once you have removed almost enough gently try to fit the knob, if too snug remove a bit more, check fit, and repeat till you have it. It is hard to screw up if you pay attention.
All of this should not be hard for you to figure out.
Also make sure you know which way it's going to be installed, and at what position on the shaft's rotation the flat needs to be (so the knob pointer lines up)...That should not be hard for you to figure out.
OK, I'll keep that in mind when I go back there again (I'm currently working on an old Silvertone stereo suitcase record player for the owner of the flea market in question) and no I haven't done any business with the booth owner before and I've never actually seen him there before so I don't know if I would be able to borrow a file from him or not.

I did get an offer from someone on audio karma where they said that they had the guts from a similar console that they could get me the parts from so hopefully I could just get the control from him and maybe the knob from the turntable as well from him. Although the only problem is that I had sent him a private message on there, like he told me to, and I haven't heard back from him yet and this was on tuesday of this past week, so I don't know if he was maybe just too busy or something.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
one of the flea markets I go to (which is where one of my customers that I repair some record players for him works and owns the shop) has a booth with nothing but tools in it and has hundreds of files in his booth for sale and I thought about buying a few files from him, but I wasn't sure what sizes I should get because I didn't want to get any files that were going to be too big or too small for what they would be used for. Plus I think he was a little overpriced, because he had a single file that was used and in kind of rough condition for $15...
When I go to estate sales, I always look at the tools in the garage or workshop. Many times, there is a box of old files or other items, but because I've a 50 year accumulation of those items, I seldom buy them.
For an estate, garage or yard sale, the first items most men look at are tools and it promotes attendance.
Someone stated: when advertising for a sale, always mention TOOLS, even if all you have is a rusty shovel.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
When I go to estate sales, I always look at the tools in the garage or workshop. Many times, there is a box of old files or other items, but because I've a 50 year accumulation of those items, I seldom buy them.
For an estate, garage or yard sale, the first items most men look at are tools and it promotes attendance.
Someone stated: when advertising for a sale, always mention TOOLS, even if all you have is a rusty shovel.
That would make sense but of course I don't get a newspaper at my place so I can't easily look for estate sales near me and when I would go out garage saling most of the garage sales I would go to usually just have kids toys or clothes or adult clothing or random knicknacks I have yet to go to a garage sale that had a decent selection of decent hand tools for sale.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:37 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
That would make sense but of course I don't get a newspaper at my place so I can't easily look for estate sales near me and when I would go out garage saling most of the garage sales I would go to usually just have kids toys or clothes or adult clothing or random knicknacks I have yet to go to a garage sale that had a decent selection of decent hand tools for sale.
estatesales.net I believe is the site some here use.

Audiokarma
Old 11-26-2015, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I don't get a newspaper at my place, either.
I look up the newspaper online and look at the "for sale" ads. There they have the estate sales and garage sales listed. There's also "Craigs List".
I look at the Community newspapers, that come free in the mail.
As you said, most garage sales are dissapointing. I, a lot of times, just drive by when all I see are clothes racks and bric-a-brac.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't get a newspaper at my place, either.
I look up the newspaper online and look at the "for sale" ads. There they have the estate sales and garage sales listed. There's also "Craigs List".
I look at the Community newspapers, that come free in the mail.
As you said, most garage sales are dissapointing. I, a lot of times, just drive by when all I see are clothes racks and bric-a-brac.
That's basically ALL there is at most of the garage sales in my area (most of the neighborhoods near me are neighborhoods that were built within the past 20 years) so there aren't much in the way of antiques like old radios or TVs.
My neighborhood that I live in is the oldest neighborhood in the area with my house being the oldest, dating back to the 1930s, whereas the rest of the houses in my neighborhood date back to the 1950s-1970s with one doublewide from the 1980s, then there's an old brick farmhouse from presumeably the 1850s that's just up the road from me that's mostly all original yet with some mortar patchwork done to one side of the house and a stickbuilt addition off the back that sits completely out of place amongst a whole "neighborhood" of 1950s-1970s vintage houses.
I believe that the surrounding land that all of those 1950s-1970s houses were built on around the 19th century farm house was all land that at one time was farmland that belonged to that old farmhouse originally but then the original family that owned that farm parceled off their land to some local buyers who then decided to build some homes around there but then left the old brick house up for history sake because it was probably a historical land mark by that time.
So in otherwords what I'm saying is that there's usually nothing of any value electronics wise or tools wise near me mostly just clothes or bric-a-brac and that's it, not even the goodwill or salvation army carries anything of any value anymore electronics or tools wise.

There were only 4 exceptions to that rule and that was when I had bought my old Magnavox console from goodwill for $6, and then I saw a trashed 1930s Trutone radio that goodwill wanted way too much for condsidering its trashed condition, and then I had found a pair of extremely rare Utah 3-way speakers at the Salvation Army near me for $3 which are a part of my Pioneer SX-1000TD receiver setup in my room and they definitely sound really nice considering they are 1960s vintage speakers (I got them because my Pioneer is from the 1960s as well so I figured why not have a pair of 1960s vintage speakers to go with it?) I had also found a pair of Bose made Interaudio speakers at another local thriftstore in the area for $10 which needed the woofer surrounds redone which I was able to redo myself but then the old CTS made phoenolic tweeters went bad due to the cones on them being pushed in (by the way CTS is based out of my hometown of Elkhart, Indiana and have been around for over 80 years in fact they also made the volume control pot in my 1932 vintage U.S. Gloritone Cathedral Radio that I'm currently in the middle of restoring which that radio was made down in Marion, indiana which is about 2 hours south of me, which is why they sourced CTS Parts because it was closer to source parts from some place in indiana than having to source parts from someplace like New York or Chicago.)

Also I heard back from the guy on Audio Karma and the Magnavox units he had were too new for what I needed, the ones he had were from an early 1960s Magnavox Console and what I need are parts from a late 1950s magnavox Console (from about 1956-1959 approximately.)

Last edited by Captainclock; 11-26-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:55 AM
M is for Memory

I just picked this up at a thrift. Got it home in the trunk of my '78 Lincoln...I was almost able to fully close the trunk lid with it in there. Man I love BIG classic American cars!

Unless someone here wants to offer me north of $40 for the whole console, I plan to part it out. When I do part it I'd consider offering you a phono knob and maybe other phono parts (looks like a match). The bass control in mine is a pot, not a switch like yours, so unless the three position speaker switch would work I can't help your quest for a switch.

Amp and turntable in mine are stereo, but the tuner and tape system are mono with no stereo provisions....

Last edited by Electronic M; 11-28-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am interested in your maggie call me today 3178692819 tank you Timothy
Old 11-28-2015, 11:05 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I had a non radio version of this 58 super magnasonic console... My dad wanted to get rid of it when i was 13, so i gutted it. It DID make a great stand alone amp for my system back then. Still have it after all this time. Turntable needs to be overhauled... Kinda froze up from hardening of the grease....

SR
Audiokarma
Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I just picked this up at a thrift. Got it home in the trunk of my '78 Lincoln...I was almost able to fully close the trunk lid with it in there. Man I love BIG classic American cars!

Unless someone here wants to offer me north of $40 for the whole console, I plan to part it out. When I do part it I'd consider offering you a phono knob and maybe other phono parts (looks like a match). The bass control in mine is a pot, not a switch like yours, so unless the three position speaker switch would work I can't help your quest for a switch.

Amp and turntable in mine are stereo, but the tuner and tape system are mono with no stereo provisions....
Yeah the record player is exactly the same, but I'm surprised that the bass control on yours is an actual pot instead of a switch... was the treble control a switch or was it a pot as well?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:55 PM
M is for Memory

The controls on mine are all pots except for the band switch, power switch, and speaker switch.

It has been removed from the cabinet so if you want the knob, and or think you could use the 3 position speaker switch contact me.