Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

HP 202C Low Frequency Oscillator

As a long time employee of HP, I have a passing interest in some of the old HP lab/test equipment. Yesterday while wandering through my favorite electronics store (Vetco), I found an old HP 202C Low Frequency Oscillator priced at $14.99. Needless to say, I brought it home. Here is a link to the HP 202C/CR manual.

The unit is in pretty rough shape, as you might imagine, but it appears to be restorable. I'll post pictures later.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just checked my 400D and it seems to be spot on. My 200CDs work and so does my 410B and 606A and 201B. Having said that, for daily use they are clumsy. I should sell all this stuff and go modern for the bench. The Ballantine 300 also works, although I had to do a lot to it to make that happen.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here are the pictures:

Old 11-13-2014, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

HP Signal Generator

Hi
You mention you got the HP at Vetco that must mean you live in the Seattle area.

I agree large generators like that are kind of clunky and I had an opportunity to buy one of these HP's once .I'm now sorry I passed on it.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Gents, I also have a 202C, and it has the problem of turning on and warming up just fine, but after about five minutes the signal fades slowly into nothing. Wondering if you have had a similar experience. It has been re-capped, and all resistor values and voltages are within tolerance.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Kevin
Audiokarma
Old 11-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Followin' the Rules...

The 1uf coupling caps can get leaky, cutting off the output tubes, and reducing the output. I changed quite a few as a cal tech in the Navy, 200cd, 202's, lots of em. The Navy used them as audio oscillators to test airborne intercom systems and some sonar equipment.

Make sure the Wien oscillator "bulb" has continuity. it's socket will oxidize and cause troubles. I seem to recall them being 7w 120v candelabra based bulbs, and we're made by GE for HP. if you go probing, use a high impedance probe, else you can kill the oscillator action with probe loading. I'd start at the grids of the outputs, and if it dies there, you can rule out the output tubes and attenuators section.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!

Last edited by Findm-Keepm; 11-17-2014 at 09:07 PM.