Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mitsubishi TriniScope Color TV

Good day Gentlemen,

Saw this unusual TV on Yahoo! Japan.

It's a TriniScCope color TV, i.e. it use three 9" B&W CRTs with dichroic filters to superpose the 3 elementary colors to build a color picture.

Raw Japanese page:
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w45217570

with Google Japanese --> English translation:
http://translate.google.fr/translate...on%2Fw45217570

No links to this sale of course,

Best regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

John Folsom recently got one of these:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/mitsu...trinitron.html

I'd love to bid on this one, but I have no clue how to go about it without knowing Japanese.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Mark

Wow, that's a neat and complicated looking set! Very cool.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

see this old thread for more:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...ght=triniscope
the pictures from the New York World's Fair are still on audiokarma at:
http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/me...2867&protype=1

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 11-20-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I bet you could make a TV dinner in it too!
Audiokarma
Old 11-21-2009, 08:51 AM
TubeType Sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalphen View Post
Good day Gentlemen,

Saw this unusual TV on Yahoo! Japan.

It's a TriniScCope color TV, i.e. it use three 9" B&W CRTs with dichroic filters to superpose the 3 elementary colors to build a color picture.

Raw Japanese page:
http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w45217570

with Google Japanese --> English translation:
http://translate.google.fr/translate...on%2Fw45217570

No links to this sale of course,

Best regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Hello Jerome,

Thanks for the heads-up regarding this wonderful Japanese set. I missed this one. It sold for 9,750„ or $109.58.

Best wishes,

Caretaker: RCA CT-100
Terry's Tube-Type Sets
Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The obvious question is "Why ?"...I'd think by the time this bad boy came along, color CRT mfging was not a mystery...And looks like the complicated optics necessary would negate any cost benefits. I'm just kinda thinkin' out loud here, but this would seem to be an answer to a question that nobody asked...Or am I fulla beans as usual ?!?
Old 11-21-2009, 10:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The obvious question is "Why ?"...I'd think by the time this bad boy came along, color CRT mfging was not a mystery...And looks like the complicated optics necessary would negate any cost benefits. I'm just kinda thinkin' out loud here, but this would seem to be an answer to a question that nobody asked...Or am I fulla beans as usual ?!?
Well, if you are full of beans, so am I... I just don't get it! However, it is a very cool set, and I would love to have one*.

*Another cool set would be one built around a liquid crystal color shutter.

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 11-21-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 AM
<-- "Byron"

Wow, three 9" CRTs = 6" picture. I hope the end result was bright as hell.

Last edited by John Marinello; 11-21-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Oh, yeah, I'd give my eyeteeth for it, too..But still..."Why ?!?"
Old 11-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Bob Galanter

John, It's bright like daylight!

John Folsom and I spend a few days working on his set when I was down in Florida a couple weeks back. It has an excellent picture. Very bright and I bet you could watch it outside in daylight because the image is sheltered inside the viewing cabinet.

John said he has it all back together now and is having trouble getting good screen shots of the image. Must have something to do with trying to photograph through the dichroic mirrors.

But seeing in person, the picture this little set will put out, will knock your socks off.

Think about it for a minute, no shadow mask soaking up the emissions from the electron guns, the entire face of the crt is one homogeneous coating of phospur with no wasted blank area between the round dots, and you have 3 times the lumens per square inch because the power of the 3 tubes is additive when superimposed. You probably lose some brilliance when the light passes through the dichroic mirrors but it still produces a SUPER bright picture.

The thing that impressed me the most was that to achieve good covergence, all 3 images need to have the exact horizontal and vertical linearity, height and width. That is no small accomplishment, but the convergence is dam near spot on all over the entire screen. There are a bunch of little magnets positioned around the back of the crt that help achieve this, but without any instructions on what each magnet does, we left those alone. And of course there are seperate height width and linearity controls for each crt.

Bob

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does the convergence change with viewing angle?

jr
Old 11-21-2009, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

HI VKers.

Its all true. While Bob was down visiting a couple of weeks back, we did some restoration work on the Mitsubishi trinescope TV.

First job was for Bob gave me an excellent course in can re-stuffing, which I had not done before. These were clamp mount type cans, with a lug on the top for each section and an additional lug for the common ground. After unsoldering and unmounting the cans, the can was cut around the body where the cut would be hidden by the clamp when it was remounted. Placing the can in a vice, a heat gun was used to soften the pitch which surrounds the capacitor elements. Then pliers are used to pull the guts out of the can. A little cleanup with mineral sprits, and the empty can is ready fro re-stuffing. A small hole is drilled beside each lug in the top of the can to allow the wires from the new capacitors to feed up and attach to the lugs. For the two can which had four sections, there was not enough height to install the four capacitors needed. Fortunately, we had a little head room above the cans, and could take advantage of the clamp mount to extend the height of the can just enough so the cut would still be hidden by the clamp. A donor twist-loc can of he same diameter was sacrificed, cutting off the required amount of its bottom (the end without lugs) to extend and complete the original can. Once all four of the single sections electrolytics were wired in and soldered to the lugs, the new bottom of the can was held in place with clear tape while the reassembled can was remounted into the clamp and the wires from the TV soldered back to the lugs. The two cans which only had a single section were a bit easier, as they did not have to be made taller, but the process was the same.

Next, with two people working at it, replacing all the original caps with yellow-wrap mylar types was pretty quick work.

Then we powered it up on the variac, noting the nominal 100VAC operating point of the TV AC input. The set came up and work well right from the start. We spent some time tweaking up the electrical height, v. linearity, and v and H centering for the 3 CRTs. Blue is used as the reference image, and red and green are converged to align with it. When completed, we had a very good looking picture.

The Japanese channel assignments are a bit different. Here are the pairings we were able to make; US/Japan channel assignments 13/11, 2/12, 12/10, 11/9, 10/8,9/7, 8/6, 7/5. Channels 4,3,2, and 1 on the trinescope could be tuned to receive a signal from the cable, but these were cable channels which did not line up with the standard US 2-13 assignments.

I wish to thank Bob Galanter very much for his help in restoring this fascinating little set. The color pictures are extremely bright, crisp and beautiful. When the red CRT is viewed directly, it appears to be very orange in color. The dichroic mirror filters out most of the yellow and green to produce a respectable red. There is some notable spotting on the mirrors, but it is not too objectionable, and trying to find replacement dichroic mirrors is probably difficult and expensive. First one would have to characterize the mirrors in the set, as there is no published data on them that I am aware of.

If I can find a reasonable way, I will bring it to the next ETF convention.

The first two photos show the main chassis after the recap, and the second is a tube layout drawing I made as the set had no tube layout chart. About 2/3 of the tubes appeared to be original Mitusbishi branded, with 1964 date codes. The last two photos do NOT do the TVs performance justice. The perceived color and sharpness is much better than these photos would indicate. This probably says a lot about my photographic talents.

I had posted some additional photos to the ETF website:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/mitsu...trinitron.html

My set is a model 6CT-333, while the set which Jerome showed above is the very similar 6CT-338. The schematic which came with my set is for the 6CT-338, and does have some minor electrical differences from my set. But the main difference is in the styling of the two models. Both sets use the same 6" red, blue and green cRTs.

Coming soon.... restoration of the 15" Admiral Color TV. Stay tuned to VK!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LAYOUT.jpg (131.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 6CT-338 TUBE LAYOUT.JPG (69.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg OP 1.jpg (69.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg OP 4.jpg (113.4 KB, 104 views)
Old 11-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Does the convergence change with viewing angle?

jr
NO!... because of the very narrow viewing angle, the viewer has to sort of look down a "tunnel" to view the image. As a result the convergence pretty much stays spot on.

And John is correct when he says the photos he took aren't nearly as nice as seeing it in person. You won't believe how great a picture this little set has!

Bob

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 11-25-2009, 12:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Off to see the wizard, indeed!! Nice set!!!
Audiokarma