Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:57 PM
altman

Mystery solved * I'm the one who bought the RCA 21-CT-8787

Hi folks:

MYSTERY SOLVED!

I'm the guy who won the RCA 21-CT-8787 n Ebay. It was not sold to a prop company as suggested in another thread. My ID on ebay is cineproducts and I mainly sell 16mm camera equipment and sci-fi models.

I have always had an interest in early color tv and owned a restored roudie in the 70's, but sold it soon after I got it when I had to move. I was very impressed when I saw a restored CT-100 at the opening exhibit of the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria (Queens), New York in the 80's and it has always stayed in my mind.

Just couldn't resist to pick this mint looking one up and it's currently residing in a warehouse in good old Omaha, NE. As most of you know, the original hanging tag and brochures (in mint condition) came along.

OK.. the big question that all of you experts get. Should I turn it on or wait and recap first. There's a fellow up in Buffalo NY that's supposed to be an expert in recapping etc.... thinking about sending it to him, unless, you folks have some other suggestions. If I do decide turn it on myself, should I replace all the tubes first? I know a nice outside doesn't mean much with a vintage TV, but this looks so so very clean. I would really appreciate speaking to anyone who cares to respond. All of your feedback will be appreciated. I will also entertain any offers as I may decide to sell it unrestored. Thanks. Links to pics below my name.

Regards,
Larry Altman
http://i14.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/57/ec/79_12_sb.JPG
http://i3.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/5e/9b/76_12_sb.JPG
http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/5f/0b/44_12_sb.JPG
http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/4d/99/20_12_sb.JPG
http://i23.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/5f/0b/44_12_sb.JPG
Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altman
Should I turn it on or wait and recap first.
I don't know how long this set was standing without switched on. Perhaps the electrolytic caps are bad and have to be formatted. Take a variac. Remove the horizontal and vertical output tube (6CB5A and 6AQ5), connect the power cord with the variac. Put a volt meter at B+ and read the d.c. voltage. Turn the variac, beginning with 5 volt, in 5 volt steps upward and read the B+ voltage (+385 V. supply). After some steps you read the first increase of voltage. Watch the meter and wait until you notice no more increasing of voltage. Then do the next 5 voltage step. Wait until B+ is constant, then do the next step and so on. I usually need some hours for this procedure. Watch the set, taste the smell of it. If you notice something unusual, stop! Touch the electrolytics. Are they cool? Or warm? If so, the leak current is too high. They have to be recapped. If everything is OK, put the removed tubes into the set and switch it on. Watch the 5U4s and 6CB5A. Listen to the line frequency. Do you get a raster? Do you hear unusual noise?
For myself, I think, you should recap all the paper capacitors as soon as possible.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM
<--1956 300B

Anybody have any thoughts on taking the yoke off the CRT before shipping?

polaraman
Old 07-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Huh?

Whew! The entire membership is breathing a sigh of relief that the set went to someone who will appreciate it!
As for the recapping, well, if I can do it, anyone can. No, literally--ANYONE.
Others will chime in with the proper way to "soft start" it. I never had to go that route myself, so can't offer any advice.
Sure is a sweet set. Welcome to the club!
veg
Old 07-09-2005, 12:10 AM

Now that's great news.. Enjoy it!

John
Audiokarma
Old 07-09-2005, 12:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I second that one! As with the others, i too took a sigh of relief to hear the good news that the tv didnt go to a prop company and get destroyed. We appreciate you letting us know the good news. Since the tv has set for awhile, i would recommend soft starting it with a variac or not plugging it in until its recapped. Trying to run a vintage tv on its possibly original capacitors runs a risk for shorts that could take out parts of the tv that might not be available anymore. The gang on here will help lead you to the proper channels to get your tv in tip top shape electronically again. It sure is a beautiful set and am happy its now in good hands! Good luck!
-Tony
Old 07-09-2005, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would definitely remove the yoke. Phil
Old 07-10-2005, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferman
I would definitely remove the yoke. Phil
Won't that ruin the convergence? Remember that the TV had to be shipped from the factory to the dealer and then to a customer's house. So it should survive shipping again.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's not too hard at least I have found to set up convergence on a delta gun set if the yokes and other stuff has been removed, if it's going back on the same crt...just mark with a marker on the tube neck a little mark where the deflection yoke, convergence yoke, and blue lateral and purity units go. You will probably have to re-degauss and re do the purity anyway if the set gets moved.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Won't that ruin the convergence? Remember that the TV had to be shipped from the factory to the dealer and then to a customer's house. So it should survive shipping again.
Well, some early RCA sets were shipped with the kinescope in a separate crate, face down. I think that was either the CT100 or the 21ct55. It's in a book around here somewhere. It was supposed to be put together in the customer's house anyway. They might have shipped sets like this one whole, but I kind of doubt it.

It probably will ruin the convergence, but so will hauling the set across town, or putting it in a different position in the room or... I think you just have to set them up where they're going to run.

The 21axp22 has a glass neck bonded to a metal cone, right? If it was mine I wouldnt want a bunch of weight attached to it while it gets bounced around. In fact, I think I would want the tube face down.

John
Audiokarma