Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:12 AM
AK Member

My Latest Project

Over the weekend I became the proud owner of a Silvertone model 6230 radio, manufactured in July of 1939. What caught my eye was the J. Ingraham-designed cabinet, with its simple, elegant contours -- and this one is in pretty good shape. Also included are the original, conical wood knobs, with the “legends” (Volume, Tuning, Tone, etc.) engraved on them.

The tuner on the 6230 not only covers the standard AM broadcast band, but also the shortwave band from roughly 6 to 18 megacycles (Silvertone calls it “Foreign”). To aid the user in tuning stations, this radio also includes one of those marvelous “tuning eye” tubes, and five station preselect buttons!

I’ve been itching to get my hands on one of these older classics for some time, but the high prices have always kept me away. So, how did I manage to get my grubby mitts on this beautiful radio? Simple -- I got it at a “fire sale” price! This radio actually had a fire inside it at one time!

If you look in the second picture below, at the right side of the loudspeaker’s field coil, you can see a black discoloration. My guess is that a short occurred in the field coil, causing a small insulation fire, as well as corresponding damage to the output transformer, and various components and wiring beneath the chassis in the area of the ballast and rectifier tubes. The fire caused substantial charring of the inside of the cabinet as well, directly above where the loudspeaker is sitting. Also, there is a large area on the outside of the cabinet where the lacquer finish was damaged from the heat (visible in the first pic). Fortunately, the veneer itself does not seem to have been hurt.

Well, it looks like I’ve got my work cut out for me on this one. I’m considering calling in a more experienced restorer to deal with the barbecued electricals, but the balance of the restoration should be a lot of fun! I’ll be sure to keep you all updated on the progress.

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 07-03-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:34 AM
lynnm

What a pretty little radio!

I love those old wooden table toppers !

Thank you for rescuing that little charmer !
Old 05-24-2004, 06:08 AM
wrongsideofthetracks

Sweet find Paula!

Is that a "45" output tube in that radio???
Ron
Old 05-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Audiophool

I don't see a power transformer, this has the early series tubes... 25L6, 25Z6, 6xx, etc. The big ST tube is probably the ballast, which soaks up the remaining line voltage (the tube filaments add up to 74 volts).

I looked it up the 6230 on Nostalgia Air and found a battery set... but the right one is there if you scroll down to the 4th page...here
Old 05-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Nice set, Paula ! Doesn't look all THAT bad from the angle you showed us- the cabinet should re-finish up nicely, too. Good luck-Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2004, 02:39 PM
AK Member

Update on the Silvertone 6230

I've come to the conclusion that the damage to the chassis of this radio falls somewhat beyond the limits of my technical expertise. I'm planning to send it to a place in Connecticut called "Antique Radio Restoration & Repair". If it was a simple re-cap, I would probably attempt it, but the field coil shorting seems to have caused fairly extensive damage, and I don't trust my limited skills to be able to do a first-rate repair job.

Here's a view of the chassis showing the worst of the damage:

And here's what the inside of the cabinet looks like, directly above where the field speaker's field coil shorted out:

I'm hoping that the discoloration visible on the outside of the cabinet, directly above the field coil, is only in the finish, and that it will not be visible after refinishing. I guess we'll see. I still think that this radio has great potential, and will keep you informed of the progress of the restoration.

Paula

Last edited by Paula; 07-03-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Up and Coming Bottlehead

Location: Lakeland, smack-dab in the middle between Tampa and Orlando, Florida!
Glad to know this Silvertone will be kept alive for yet another 60+ years. I'm sure once you get it back it'll be like new again. Looking forward to seeing your woodworking abilities.