Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

On second thought, I really love the flatscreen craze...

...Because everyone is giving me their better quality CRT sets.

Just the other day, my cousin called to say that they had bought new flatscreens because "that's what they are forcing everyone to get" and said she had a perfectly good 32" RCA and a 19" set that I could have if I wanted them. I have not gotten them yet; but, she said they would bring them over soon. I know the 32" is a CTC203 because I resoldered a coil in the horizontal driver circuit 2 or 3 years ago.

Yesterday, someone called to ask if I wanted a 35" RCA that had stopped working and, rather than have it repaired, they bought a new flatscreen. That one turned out to be a 35" CTC187 from '97 and all it needed was a coil that was in the 200V B+ line to the video output stage. After pulling a quality used part off of a junk board and sticking it in my set, it works as it should.

Then, there was that '88 Sears that someone gave me all because they didn't want to fool with a converter box.

My friend, who sells at the flea market, is always finding good TV's at yard sales for $10 or less. He said he found a good 32" set at a yard sale for $10 and the only reason he didn't get it was because he couldn't load it by his self and the owner was unwilling to help load it. Here lately, he's been getting $15-$25 for 13" sets and $25-$35 for 19" sets. People are not fighting over them and it may take a few weeks to move one; but, it makes it worth the effort when you can get a good TV for a few dollars and make $15-$25 profit on it.

Granted, these later BPC sets don't bring much on the used market; but, they bring enough to buy parts to fix older stuff. And, I've always loved getting sets from people who did not bother to take them to a shop before buying a new TV. Those usually wind up being the "easy fixes" and I don't mind that one bit. A lot of the "shop throwaways" were often tough dogs; but, I didn't mind spending a week on one when the TV would bring a fat price when repaired. Now, I rarely spend more than an hour on a BPC TV.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

So people just accept the fact they are forced to get a flatscreen? Shouldnt there be a revolt or something.
Millions of Prius driving 'green' freaks are the first to fill the land fills with toxic tv waste in exchange for a hip new flat screen.
80% of tv users are casual and dont need a high definition anything to watch commercials and their favorite clap track programs.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Procrastination Expert

Most Prius owner's don't actually think about the process of being green.

It always amazes me when people think something is obsolete just because it is older. Like people who have given me older laser printers... 600dpi is 600dpi, even if it takes a couple extra seconds to produce.

At least we can benefit from other's ignorance.

-J
Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Convergence freak!

Nobody is about the value anymore, it's all about the hottest trends. It's sad, but I see people give away or trash thier sets for a flatscreen. I cannot get too down about the people giving away thier CRT sets, at least they are giving for a cause. Someone less fortunate now recieves a television. But to throw away perfectly useable sets amazes me.

I have gotten on the flatscreen repair craze. Found out I cannot sell them for split. So now Im thinking of donating one or two to a couple families up here that I know that cannot afford a new TV.

I dont throow out anything that I know someone else could use unless I deem it unreliable.

Last edited by freakaftr8; 12-08-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got a '96 27" JVC from a guy who upgraded to an LCD. The JVC works fine and, to me, looks better than the LCD that took it's place. I think I'm going to put the JVC in place of the RCA CTC169, which has a CRT that's getting weak, in the living room.

I was talking to another friend and he admitted that the old 25" CRT sanyo in his bedroom looked better than the 42" Insignia LCD TV in his living room.
Audiokarma