Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

'79 12" Sanyo B&W

OK, this must be my week for B&W TV's from '79. First, I obtained a GE from '79. Then, my flea market friend brought me this Sanyo from January, '79. It's missing the UHF knobs, needs a bath, and had the usual dirty tuner and controls. The CRT is a Sanyo branded tube with an EIA number of 1240, which still test strong. BTW, isn't 1240 the number for Clinton? The TV was made in Taiwan and, I could be confused; but, the chassis looks like something I've seen in a Sharp brand TV. Anyway, this set has a good picture and it's another one for my 9"/12" B&W TV collection. BTW, I think this is the first Sanyo brand B&W TV that I've owned. I've had several Sears sets that were made by Sanyo; but, not a Sanyo badged set. 20 years ago, when I first started fixing TV's, these 12" B&W sets were an easy $25-$35.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh boy, that chassis is a genuine Sanyo alright. I had this same set briefly. Me and a close friend went to a tv/radio shop that was shutting its doors in ~2006. He reluctantly agreed to let us take a peek in the basement, where he claims he hadn't even been in some 15 years. Tons of crap, and I mean crap. Partially flooded, mildew/mold (I live in a coastal town and the shop was less than 1 block from the mighty Atlantic) but luckily most of the stuff was on shelves. Anyway, I took home this set, a 12" b/w Panasonic in green, a sorry looking RCA CTC-109 tabletop, and a National panasonic tube radio.

Long story short, this was one of the survivors of the group...gave it to my grandmother on my father's side for use in the kitchen. After the DTV transition she put it in the garage in Staten Island where it now sits, beside a 90's KTV and some other dtv-soured sets.

It's a keeper.