Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Yeah, that would probably help. Unfortunately, I have no components other than what I can get out of parts chassis. I'd be reluctant to use those crappy yellow caps in a sweep circuit of a TV. I've heard of people having problems with them. If I was going to really restore a set, I'd be using Sprague Orange Drops.
There's a lot of misinformation floating around regarding capacitor brand loyalty, but unless you're using NOS Sprague, any new ones are coming from the far east, so likely from the same manufactures as the pretty yellow ones.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:31 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Yeah, that would probably help. Unfortunately, I have no components other than what I can get out of parts chassis. I'd be reluctant to use those crappy yellow caps in a sweep circuit of a TV. I've heard of people having problems with them. If I was going to really restore a set, I'd be using Sprague Orange Drops.
The yellow caps are fine I've used them exclusively (ignoring being too broke or away from sources of new parts) till the last year in my radio and TV restos, and have never had a problem with them. I think I've only heard of others finding 1-2 bad ones in all my time. I've found other types cheaper in bulk last year online (finally started buying parts online then) so I've been mixing other new stock in.

Just gotta be careful not to melt the case on the yellow ones with the soldering iron...Too deep and you ruin them that way.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-26-2017, 05:23 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
There's a lot of misinformation floating around regarding capacitor brand loyalty, but unless you're using NOS Sprague, any new ones are coming from the far east, so likely from the same manufactures as the pretty yellow ones.
So Sprague is making capacitors in China now, huh. Well now I'm thoroughly disgusted.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:45 PM
Workin' Late Again

Quote:
So Sprague is making capacitors in China now, huh. Well now I'm thoroughly disgusted.
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/...95708&start=20
Old 03-27-2017, 10:38 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Did dynamic convergence for about two hours this morning. Got it as good as I possibly could.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0286.jpg (81.0 KB, 55 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
In another century North America will likely be a real-life nation of Panem.