Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/antenna.aspx?color=Blue

Yellow is the easiest get, Green next. Blue would require a good antenna.

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Dynaco convert

That information is pretty much dead-on that you posted as far as distance.

There ARE tall trees and hills between me and the towers, I also have very tall trees in the back yard. The good news is there is a 10 acre field behind my row of trees that is empty. I have a sony SXRD dlp that is a year old. When I lived in madison, i was able to pick up several high def channels with NO antenna even connected to the tv.

I would prefer an attic mount setup, its not a very tall attic so storage-wise its useless. It would also allow me to get my big antenna off the roof (looks like crap IMO).

I am primarily concerned with digital broadcasts. Honestly, there is a chance it will see little use unless cable goes on the fritz. I want to have broadcast TV in the event of severe weather if I ever go to direct TV as well.

Evan
Old 06-27-2008, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx4u View Post
There ARE tall trees and hills between me and the towers
Our property has a perimeter of tall evergreens in the direction where all the area transmitters are situated. The stations are located from 13 to 37 miles away.

The homebrew antenna that I made receives very well, and it is just sitting on a table on a first-floor room, not upstairs or in the attic. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Now if they would just broadcast something worth watching on those stations :-)

Phil Nelson
Old 06-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Charleston, SC

You could attic mount just about anything since you are that close to the towers....... the trees will be in the way regardless of if its on the roof or not. All the towers are in the same direction as well. You do have one VHF Hi, but its on the upper spectrum of VHF Hi....which is good for our purposes....a uhf antenna should have an easier time with it.

Here are my recommendations for an attic install.

AntennasDirect DB2, Channel Master 4220, or even a Channel Master 4221....with Channel Master Titan 7777 amplifier and Quad Shield Copper on Steel RG6 cabling. You can leave these inside the box if you wanted, and use them like that inside the attic. I like the DB2 best out of that bunch....its smaller and lighter and packs a mean punch with its 4mm aluminum whiskers.

Other options...

RS DA-5200 outside or attic
Winegard SS-2000 or Terk HDTVs which is a SS-2000 clone outside or attic....bit pricey but you can find them on ebay for less.
Winegard MS-2000 outside or attic

All of these have their own amplifiers....not too sure about the MS-2000, though.

You could try a home build Quad Bow Tie. I recommend using thick 10 or 12 gauge bare solid copper(or aluminum) wire, and larger 9 1/2" bows with 9 1/2" spacing center to center of the Bow Ties.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Dynaco convert

Thanks for the information and insight guys. I may try the home built bowtie setup, I have a bunch of 12 ga. romex left over from a microwave installation.

Evan
Audiokarma
Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Throw something like this together.
Using a sheet of cardboard about 2 feet by 1.5 feet. Worked for me, in an apartment that has lots of impulse noise that made reception hard with a non-directional antenna. Any bits of wire for the elements will do.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

There is a Youtube video about how to build a DTV UHF antenna from wire coathangars and a strip of moulding. A fella I work with did it and liked the result. We both live in the Seattle area as well. He is in Auburn / Federal Way area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

The video is entertaining too. In case the link does not work search on "coat hanger DTV antenna".
Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Charleston, SC

There are dozens of Radio Shack 15-1880 antennas up on ebay New in Box. These are excellent indoor television antennas, especially on UHF.

I dont know if these are legit, but it worth a look see.

Good Luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Near and Far Horizons

With the leaves on the trees, we have pretty much lost all of our major network broadcast TV stations (even with antenna and signal amp that I built over the winter). We only get one strong signal informercial network with the antenna in the attic and I have tried numerous positions and angles for the antenna.

The FCC seriously mis-calculated the transition to this "superior" technology. I must say that I'm not very happy about this (we live more than 30 miles from any of the major network broadcasters ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX).

With analog TV we ALWAYS received signals with bunny-ears (and through most any weather and season) from our state's CBS & ABC affiliates. During the winter we could sometimes get NBC, PBS and Fox.

"...As worrying is interest paid on trouble, long before it's due..." - Steve Hackett - "Serpentine Song"

Last edited by wajobu; 06-22-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well, I love all the ingenuity that the do-it-yourselfers have demonstrated, but this is what I had hooked up earlier this evening to check my local HD reception... and it worked like a charm.

But of course, I expected that, because it's **atomic**.

-Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My Indoor HD antenna small vers.jpg (66.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Joel Cairo; 06-24-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Audiokarma