Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:53 AM
zenith mad

I got it! I got it!

Hi everybody! I finally got a genuine Zenith roundie!
It seems it has been modified to receive the Pal standard (the small unit just at the left of the chassis). I really can't wait to pick it up! From the pictures I seem to read it has a 24MC32 chassis. Is there everyone out there who can give advices and informations about this set? I would really get the best from it !!!
All the best
Marco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65da_3.JPG (83.5 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg 56dc_3.JPG (68.1 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 5e76_12.JPG (39.8 KB, 199 views)
Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Marco-Is the cabinet sheet metal, or real wood? If it's metal, it looks to be a "double-1st cousin" to my roundie...Mine also has legs that screw into the bottom of the cabinet. It doesn't currently work, but one of these days, it'll get a trip to go see Dr. DeWick...Mine's a '65, was the 1st color set in my family...My grandad had it in his office, we'd watch the Thanksgiving Day & New Year's Day parades on it..That was REALLY somethin', to a boy of 7, 8...I hope you get yours runnin' & can enjoy it soon...Congrats on yr "new" TV...-Sandy
Old 06-15-2007, 10:38 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Let me add my congratulations too. That is a sheet metal cabinet. I've always liked the metal ones although some consider them plain. As one who just restored a Zenith roundie of similar vintage, I can tell you if it is done right, the picture will amaze you. Zenith color sets always have warm rich color tones and the roundies are no exception. Keep us posted with pics of your progress and feel free to ask any questions you may have. We're here to help and I can assure you the results will be worth it. The only thing better than a Zenith is two Zeniths
Old 06-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Mine's sheet metal, but very heavy sheet metal, & covered w/a vinyl woodgrain covering that is good enuff to fool you to think it really IS wood... No cataract, & this TV was stored for awhile in a damp basement..On inspection, the 1VP2 (?) tube was broken, & its socket crumbled in my hand, so I know at least THAT much is wrong w/mine. Looked like it had been way too hot several times.. Anyhow, I WAS impressed w/the general level of construction on this TV-Zenith stuff NEVER was "Cheap 'n' shoddy"-not at least while they were in Chicago.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:24 PM
zenith mad

metal cabinet

Hello Sandy and Compucat! Thank you for your kind replies! The Zenith has a very dark reddish cabinet, quite unusual for a television. It's all metal and everything seems to be made to last for decades.Unfortunately I will not be able to put my hands on it until July. I hope there will not be too many things to fix up. According to what the seller said to me, it belonged to an old man who died several years ago leaving it unused for ages. It was found in the attic when relatives sold the house. I ever dreamed about finding an attic full of Zenith stuff!!! Compucat, you're absolutely right! Two Zeniths are better than one and three even better but this one has been very difficult to find here (I had to offer 500 euro for it...) and I don't think I will soon find another! Do you know if this kind of set does work with vcrs and dvd players? Could it be retrofitted with a space command module?
Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2007, 03:44 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritwi View Post
Compucat, you're absolutely right! Two Zeniths are better than one and three even better but this one has been very difficult to find here (I had to offer 500 euro for it...) and I don't think I will soon find another! Do you know if this kind of set does work with vcrs and dvd players?

I have my Zenith connected to a combination VCR-DVD Recorder-ATSC Digital tuner. The only issues I have are that I get retrace lines from Macrovision copy protected DVDs but this will show up on most vintage TVs. Digital TV looks great on it and DVDs look even better. My set is not a remote model so I don't know about adding Space Command. The tuner I have hooked to my set has a remote so I only have to get up to adjust the volume and turn the set on and off.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:52 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Mine's sheet metal, but very heavy sheet metal, & covered w/a vinyl woodgrain covering that is good enuff to fool you to think it really IS wood... No cataract, & this TV was stored for awhile in a damp basement..On inspection, the 1VP2 (?) tube was broken, & its socket crumbled in my hand, so I know at least THAT much is wrong w/mine. Looked like it had been way too hot several times.. Anyhow, I WAS impressed w/the general level of construction on this TV-Zenith stuff NEVER was "Cheap 'n' shoddy"-not at least while they were in Chicago.
Are you referring to the 1V2 focus rectifier tube? If so, I don't think that tube gets very hot. I'm surprised you would have a crumbling socket on that one. Are you planning to get the set going? I would love to follow the restoration progress on this forum.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Congradulations on an excellent find! It must feel great to find your first roundie, especially a zenith in Italy! A 24MC32 chassis is a 1965 model. Thats interesting that they had a pal converter. Since the TV was for pal, I bet the chassis number is slightly different as it was not for the US market.
As for the 1V2 socket crumbling, it does happen. Its not from heat, its from corona arc. The 5KV at the pin of the 1V2 tends to arc to ground. This results in carbon build and breakdown of the bakelite socket. On my 26KC20, I lost focus because the carbon almost completely grounded the 5KV. Ive seen this breakdown on two zenith roundies.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Old 06-19-2007, 06:07 AM
slave to 3 equines

I bet the chassis of this Zenith was assembled in Italy (or heavily modified here anyway)... because apart from the PAL color system, the set has to work with our 50 hz mains and our 625/50 system

if i'm right, there are probably Italian glass-encased capacitors in place of black beauties and wax caps under the chassis.

Francesco
Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 AM
slave to 3 equines

I think the flyback and the CRT's yoke (and of course the V and H oscillators) need to be different to work with our 15,625 hz horizontal and 50 hz vertical 625 line system.

Francesco
Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think that the set except for the voltage and of course for the NTSC (3.58 MHz) to PAL(4.43 MHz) does not need to be modified a lot. 30 x 525=15750 versus 25 x 625=15625. The line frequency is very similar. The vertical oscillator has enough range to go down to 25 instead of 30. I have a few roundies in NTSC and the only problem I have is the magnetic field out of the transformer at 50 hertz influencing the 30 pics of the american system. It can make the picture a bit wobely. Just moving the step down transformer away from the set usually cures the problem. This will be ok since we have 25 pics/sec. Sound here is at 5.5 MHz away from picture. If I remember well, An old B/W set will work easily only by retuning the sound and adjusting the picture size without changing any components.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:17 PM
slave to 3 equines

Hmm... i don't see a PAL delay line in there... mid 60s PAL delay lines were really bulky so you should be able to see it somewhere near the PAL converter chassis...

If I'm right, this is a "simple PAL" set

Francesco
Audiokarma