Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 PM
roundie not so n00b

wouldn't a TBC shred shitvision to pieces and output a clean signal? On some DVDs that have the Shitvision "intro/promo" thing (it has their logo zooming in with the sound of some music in the background) I copy it to Betamax just so i can laugh that beta isn't affected...

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 10-12-2007, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pics of the old (1986) m-word scrubber. Sorry for the blur.

The "Breathing" (slow rise and fall) of brightness is one of m-word's symptoms. This thing was marketed to cure it.

As I recall, the ad said it wasn't illegal to use it for improving your viewing pleasure. But that was 20 years ago. It wasn't illegal to drive without seat belts then either.

I tried it out on the Admiral Roundie From Hell and it took all the jitters and lines out and gave me a rock. The pics of my Zenith color roundie were also taken with it in play. It's a good tool for us technodorks and our hobby. I stand by using mine for its intended purpose. If it's easy to abuse, then the crime is in the abusing -- not the using. My 2 cents. I'm definitely NOT a lawyer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macro-Scrubber-Box.JPG (20.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Macro-Scrubber-PCB.JPG (36.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Bob, regarding the kit, what do you get if you order one?
Does it come with all the components so you just have to put it together?
The 5v supply is extra?

BTW I was also going to comment on the stunning picture on your 9!
Does it have the 21CYP22 tube?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

There are a couple of other ways to get around Macrovision on DVDs.

A copy of a DVD made on a PC the copy will play without Macrovision. I find it quite amusing that the act of copying defeats a system intended to prevent copying in the first place.

Macrovision can be disabled on many cheap off brand DVD players either by entering a code to change a "hidden" setting or by installing modified firmware. The modified firmware usually has additional benefits of being region free and allowing you to skip warnings and ads that are normally unskippable.

On some DVD players Macrovision is not present on the RGB output (those that don't take sync for the RGB output from the composite video output). Feed the RGB output into an NTSC/PAL encoder (such as the Jrok video board) and you composite video without Macrovision.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:12 AM
slave to 3 equines

Sadly, my nice Kenwood DVD player cannot be hacked or updated... apparently, this player's OS is stored on a ROM chip and cannot be modified...
Audiokarma
Old 10-13-2007, 04:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwick View Post
Sadly, my nice Kenwood DVD player cannot be hacked or updated... apparently, this player's OS is stored on a ROM chip and cannot be modified...
It's unfortunate, but it always seems that the better quality DVD players are often the least flexible. I have a Loewe and a Pioneer player that I rarely use anymore. They are both much nicer than the cheap flimsy chinese players and have outlasted several of them, but they are not user friendly at all.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:52 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
That's not the 'm word'. It's those large positive square pulses that start just after the center line on the scope screen. ....
The pseudo-sync is.
Thus the UVB is the only solution (as far as I know) to watch m-word protected DVDs etc. on vintage equipment
without eliminating the m-word.

Last edited by oldeurope; 10-13-2007 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Text added
Old 10-13-2007, 08:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Fuji has the old way to beat this. You can always copy to an old Betamax and play that. Betamax strips off incoming sync and replaces it with it's own new sync on recording. Loop-through does not work though.

No Betamax tapes? You can use Betacam oxide tapes. Not SP. Same shell.

Most DVD players set themselves to the region being played after a few plays and are tough to change after that.

Dave A
Old 10-13-2007, 08:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
Bob, regarding the kit, what do you get if you order one?
Does it come with all the components so you just have to put it together?
The 5v supply is extra?

BTW I was also going to comment on the stunning picture on your 9!
Does it have the 21CYP22 tube?
Ordering the kit will get you the UVB (Universal Video Board) and all of the hardware needed for that board. The 5 volt DC power supply is not included. I took an LM7805 along with a couple of caps, and an old 6 volt plug in style power transformer and made a regulated 5 volt DC supply.

Yes, the tube in my CTC-9 is a 21CYP22. For a tube that's almost 50 years old, it's capable of producing a beautiful picture.

Bob.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 PM
AK Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampico-kid View Post
Hi;
Thought I'd pass on some information regarding Macrovision and Vertical Retrace lines.

Several months ago I decided to do some research and find the best way of dealing with these EXTREMELY annoying problems that plague most older TV's both color and black and white. Initially I was enticed into buying a "video stabilizer" for about $30.00 that claimed to "fix it all". To my disappointment I found that it really didn't do a very good job of removing the lines and dots, and it also caused the color to shift and the luminance levels to vary. Since it created as many problems as it supposedly "fixed", it was NOT my idea of a cure all.

I read several posts here on AK and discovered in one of them a link to a web site of a German fellow by the name of Darius K. Mottaghian. On that web site Darius posted information about a Universal Video Board (UVB) that he designed and built that can remove both Vertical Retrace Lines and the Macrovision Dots and Dashes. After several e-mails (and many questions) I decided to purchase one of the UVB kits from Darius . It arrived here in NJ in about a week. It took several months before I had the time to actually sit down and assemble the kit. It does requires a 5 volt dc regulated power supply, and in my case, since I wanted to process signal from both my VCR and my DVD player, I needed an RF Modulator as well. All together, I probably spent about $60 to $70.

The results speak for themselves. I now have an absolutely flawless color picture with NO retrace or Macrovision lines and no color shifting. The results for the black and white TV set is just as impressive. I've attached some before and after pictures for you to see. There's also a photograph of the UVB kit module that I constructed. The UVB board is small, as are many of the components that go on the board, so a good eye and a very small tip on your soldering pencil are essential. Darius was very patient, courteous, and forthcoming with information before, during and after my purchase from him.

The TV's I used for the attached pictures are an RCA CTC 9 color set, and a 1958 Philco Predicta Barber Pole set.

I have no affiliation with Darius or his UVB kit other than being a very satisfied customer, but I think when you find a good product and a good person behind it...it deserves some friendly good publicity.

Here's a link to the web site:
[url]http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/archiv/TV/uvb/uvb_e.htm

I would highly recommend the unit for anyone wanting to get rid of those horrible vertical retrace lines and macrovision dots and dashes.

Bob
Hi Bob,
thank you very much for your reply.
Very nice pics . You make me very happy.

Kind regards,
Darius
Old 10-13-2007, 03:41 PM
<-- "Byron"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujifrontier View Post
wouldn't a TBC shred shitvision to pieces and output a clean signal? On some DVDs that have the Shitvision "intro/promo" thing (it has their logo zooming in with the sound of some music in the background) I copy it to Betamax just so i can laugh that beta isn't affected...
TBC re-inserts sync pulses only, and will cure picture tearing & jitters.
The nifty item I used to use was a Tektronix VITS200 inserter.
Unit allows you to block, pass, or insert test signals on any line in the VBI.
Also has TBC & ghost cancellation.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

A bit off topic in a way ..but re DVD ....the fight over HD or Blu Ray in the hidef dvd format wars leaves me cheering for HD DVD ...no anti consumer region coding to deal with ...as for the rest of the DRM stuff ....well my comments are unprintable!!
Old 10-14-2007, 02:04 PM
roundie not so n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marinello View Post
The nifty item I used to use was a Tektronix VITS200 inserter.
Unit allows you to block, pass, or insert test signals on any line in the VBI.
Also has TBC & ghost cancellation.
Tell me more about what kind of signals you can block in a PM :d

Another idea.....instead of expensive anti-psychotic drugs, let's provide schizophrenics with dummy bluetooth headsets. They'll easily blend into the crowd, although I suspect their "conversations" would be far more rational than those of the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

Ron
Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

This kit looks like the answer to alot of playback problems we have when using vintage tv's and i look forward to purchasing one soon. One question i have though since it hasnt been asked so far...does one of these help with playback when using a VCR also? Just curious as some of us have some vintage tv shows on vhs and of course using a VCR at least for me hasnt been the best experience when playing it on a vintage tv. As far as the m-word i could care less as i never had the interest to duplicate tapes or dvd's anyway, i just want a decent picture when i fire up my roundie whether its old tv shows or a new movie.
-Tony
Audiokarma