Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Output. "Sound multiplex

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
Ya, that would be me. Theres a guy in singapore I have been ordering my VFDs from for projects, but some of the VFDs you have posted are cool.

Its not hard to drive them, just kind of have to understand the technology.
FOR MI is nightmare
Code:
to coding and program controllers;app:no:
and wiring is all so tough ...AND I HAVE A DREAM- TO FIND UNIVERSAL EVALUATING BOARD FOR ALL TYPES VFD`S

Last edited by Visual; 01-26-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

you got all kinds of neat VFD pics there.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Output. "Sound multiplex

Lightbulb

i have a dream-to complete similar mod,but with ftd-original from vcr
Old 07-06-2011, 11:08 PM
DTV blows

That is so cool!!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 PM
M is for Memory

Well if you live in a bad neighborhood at least you can sleep at nght knowing that what ever happens they won't steal your computer, though if their dumb enough to steal your VCR your kinda screwed......

Tom C.
Audiokarma
Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ha-one of the neatest things I've seen in a while!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Output. "Sound multiplex

http://www.google.bg/imgres?q=Vacuum...PSE7YIE&zoom=1
Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ya, I seen that display on ebay. I didnt buy one yet. I like VFD displays that have VU or spec analyzer bars on it. or bars in general. I am a audio-visual type of guy that likes VU meters, spec ans, winamp visual plugins, etc...

I do however, REALLY like that VFD you have in your sig. My next project if i ever get around to finishing it is building a small scale MP3 player with an application specific VFD display, kinda like the one in your sig. Except the one I am going to use is the NEC FIP11AMW8 for this project, which can be had cheap at a few places.

So with the NEC FIP11AMW8, I have already mapped out the pins, segment tables, etc... just have to finish up the code to drive it, and its going to interface to another CPU that does the MP3 Decoding and SD card access. the CPU that will run the VFD display will also fetch IR codes from my apple remote, along with doing VU meter calculations off of the analog return from the MP3 decoder IC. Might be alot of overhead for a single CPU, but its just for I/O. the MP3 decoder is a separate CPU because of timing critical operations, dont want a buffer underrun = choppy playback, so the less things it has to do outside of playing the mp3, the better. Outside of buffering MP3 data, it also has a command interpreter to be able to talk to the I/O CPU. going to use RS232, or maybe SPI between the two CPUs, and of course the DOS/SD file system handler.

the I/O CPU's display scan routine will run off an internal timer which will output a square wave from the PWM pin to drive a power amplifier circuit that will not only supply the anode voltage/current, but also the filament supply. Basically a discrete replacement for the LM9022 which no longer exists. Why do i wanna use scan derived PWM signal? so you dont get beat artifacts on the display :-)

and the most fun of it all, itll be written in BASIC. because I cant code in C, and besides my BASIC skills are a close match to what C can do. Hell, I wrote BASIC code for a small crypto unit that would cypher a digital bitstream going in, in 512-byte block cyphers. Mainly used for secure RF.

What its intended purpose for the time was sending secure transmissions over CB. (dont ask me why, just something to do, and it worked). an MP3 decoder/encoder IC VS1053 would be used as an encoder as a 64kbps mono MP3 which gives you ALOT of time before you have to rebuffer, plus it was convenient for the 115.2kbps RS232 port on the AVR. So i would buffer 512bytes, scramble it, and re-transmit it as pilot toned ASK over CB (which worked horribly, required a strong signal but at least it worked).

the receiver would detect the pilot tone to signal the decoder to kick in. Once it kicked in, it would decode the ASK into a bit stream which the AVR would decode back into 512byte blocks, decrypt them, and send them to the MP3 decoder IC at the other end. it worked as a test of concept but it was REALLY buggy, mainly do to the method i sent the signal over the RF line, ASK. I coulda used like manchester or some other means of modulating the digital signal, but i didnt know how, and i still dont to an extent.

Last edited by mbates14; 01-17-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:26 PM
I love old stuff

V.F.D. is something sacred for me! I have such display at my 1986-1987 V.C.R. and at my 1978-1980 radio (both machines are made by "Panasonic")
Old 01-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Output. "Sound multiplex

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
Ya, I seen that display on ebay. I didnt buy one yet. I like VFD displays that have VU or spec analyzer bars on it. or bars in general. I am a audio-visual type of guy that likes VU meters, spec ans, winamp visual plugins, etc...

I do however, REALLY like that VFD you have in your sig. My next project if i ever get around to finishing it is building a small scale MP3 player with an application specific VFD display, kinda like the one in your sig. Except the one I am going to use is the NEC FIP11AMW8 for this project, which can be had cheap at a few places.

So with the NEC FIP11AMW8, I have already mapped out the pins, segment tables, etc... just have to finish up the code to drive it, and its going to interface to another CPU that does the MP3 Decoding and SD card access. the CPU that will run the VFD display will also fetch IR codes from my apple remote, along with doing VU meter calculations off of the analog return from the MP3 decoder IC. Might be alot of overhead for a single CPU, but its just for I/O. the MP3 decoder is a separate CPU because of timing critical operations, dont want a buffer underrun = choppy playback, so the less things it has to do outside of playing the mp3, the better. Outside of buffering MP3 data, it also has a command interpreter to be able to talk to the I/O CPU. going to use RS232, or maybe SPI between the two CPUs, and of course the DOS/SD file system handler.

the I/O CPU's display scan routine will run off an internal timer which will output a square wave from the PWM pin to drive a power amplifier circuit that will not only supply the anode voltage/current, but also the filament supply. Basically a discrete replacement for the LM9022 which no longer exists. Why do i wanna use scan derived PWM signal? so you dont get beat artifacts on the display :-)

and the most fun of it all, itll be written in BASIC. because I cant code in C, and besides my BASIC skills are a close match to what C can do. Hell, I wrote BASIC code for a small crypto unit that would cypher a digital bitstream going in, in 512-byte block cyphers. Mainly used for secure RF.

What its intended purpose for the time was sending secure transmissions over CB. (dont ask me why, just something to do, and it worked). an MP3 decoder/encoder IC VS1053 would be used as an encoder as a 64kbps mono MP3 which gives you ALOT of time before you have to rebuffer, plus it was convenient for the 115.2kbps RS232 port on the AVR. So i would buffer 512bytes, scramble it, and re-transmit it as pilot toned ASK over CB (which worked horribly, required a strong signal but at least it worked).

the receiver would detect the pilot tone to signal the decoder to kick in. Once it kicked in, it would decode the ASK into a bit stream which the AVR would decode back into 512byte blocks, decrypt them, and send them to the MP3 decoder IC at the other end. it worked as a test of concept but it was REALLY buggy, mainly do to the method i sent the signal over the RF line, ASK. I coulda used like manchester or some other means of modulating the digital signal, but i didnt know how, and i still dont to an extent.
Give me picture on FIP11AMW8 please or pdf
I HAVE NEC FIP 11GM6 NO 421-421
i search MOST SOPHISTICATED VFD display on vcr;hi-fi;air-cond,etc..still tune for it
http://7113.fc2web.com/rc-x90.html

Last edited by Visual; 01-28-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Somewhere in my parts pile, I have a rather large VFD from an old satellite receiver (I think), it's about 8" long and has roughly 10 or 12 grids of pixels (10 x 15 each or something like that) that can be used to spell out letters, numbers etc. Sort of like a small marquee sign, but it's VFD instead of LED / LCD. I bet you'd have fun with it! Make me a good offer and it's yours......
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have a bookshelf stereo system (1999 model Aiwa CX-NA888) with what I believe is a VFD display for functions, AM-FM digital tuner, etc. The characters, however, seem to be formed by individual dot-matrix display units; they also can display the on-off states of certain functions by scrolling across the width of the display until manually turned off. The display resembles the "Futaba" VFD (which appears to be scrolling as the one on my stereo does) mentioned in another post; the Futaba display also looks like mine when all functions are displayed at once, e. g. after a power outage. Mine will also show a built-in game which Aiwa calls "Demo" when power is restored after an outage, and the clock will flash 12:00 until reset -- not unlike most VCRs with VFD clock displays.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-02-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 PM
i <3 my Denon

I don't work on VFDs that often, because Gottleib was the only pinball company that used them. Their system1 and system80 games used a seven-segment VFD with 6 digits (possibly seven). These things often start going dim, and we found if left on for a few hours...it brightens up. One tech suggested applying a tiny bit of voltage higher than the normal filament voltage...just enough the glow redish-orange. A few seconds of this usually livens these VFDs up if they haven't gassed. I don't know why exactly this works when so many other VFDs start going dead and never work again.

However, I love a good VFD to a point. My EQ has a nice bluish spectrum analyzer bar display on it. After 30 years it still looks outstanding. No dimming...no issues. I get what looks like ghosting...like if one bar is maxed out...ill see a faint glow from another bar...its either some kind of weird reflection or something because I've done everything but look at the voltages driving the VFD with a scope. My Onkyo cassette deck has a VFD on it that was causing a harmonicy buzzing when it was turned on..when I changed the belt and took the cassette transport out it stopped doing that.

But, yeah, I've always liked the physical look of a good vfd meter...seems faster and sharper than most LED implmentations.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I dont have a datasheet on the NEC FIP11AMW8, I just hand figured all the pins and configurations.

Also it seems the only site that carried them are now gone. :-(
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Output. "Sound multiplex

Lightbulb

Usehttp://wayback.archive.org/web/