Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
now I kinda want one....
This is a good time to get 'em. They can be found in abundance on eBay, they usually are cheap, and they usually work. They are unusual in design, which IMHO, makes them collectible.

Betcha you can't collect just one!

jr
Old 09-11-2012, 06:39 PM
M is for Memory

I've got three. Two silver FD-40As:Both work one is in great shape with carrying case, but needs to have it's yoke rotated a few degrees, the other is beat to heck but is electronically fine(go figure).

I also have a blue FD-20A which has static audio, but NO raster...If i knew more about SS stuff I might have bothered to pop it open, but I'm worried that it will become one of my "Dixie cup" projects if I try to fix it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Like my poor little Panasonic TR-1010 I had since like 1984 or so... She now rests in peace (pieces) in a metal mooncakes tin

At least I'm waiting on a TR-1020 with a broken antenna and missing it's magnifier and wall wart. I can easily use the 1010's corpse to fill in those gaps...so it isn't ALL lost (always wanted a 1020 with the FM).
Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Will the magnifier fit? I know that a1010 and 1030 magnifier are slightly different, I have never had a 1020.

jr
Old 09-12-2012, 02:14 PM
"micro" and quirky

Dunno that....but since I do have a 1030 (and it's magnifier) and it's a completely different case, I'm going to (likely wrongly) assume the 1010 and 1020 are the same item. These two cabinets do look the same.....and I got the 1020 in "unknown" hence REAL cheap condition. I may still end up looking for a battery cover for the 1020. It has the little black rechargeable pack...and I have the 1010's cover, but the 1020's cover appears to be a different orientation. LOOKS the same...but very unlikely.

I sorta just bid on the 1020 and ended up winning it for like ten bucks. I think the description and pics showing the missing antenna and battery cover scared most off....and the fact it has no (proprietary) wall wart and was untested. I have all the parts to at least replace the obvious missing items....even if it ends up just taking the EMPTY space on the shelf where the 1010 was. I don't like sets that DON'T work up on the "display" shelves if I can help it. It dilutes the effect of hitting a single X10 remote control switch and seeing them ALL come on at once :-P

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-12-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 PM
"micro" and quirky

Okay....GOT the little Panasonic 1020 I was waiting for.

Antenna...same as 1010
"Wall wart"...same as all three of the little b/w "10xx" sets

Magnifier....NO. 1010's CRT is to the extreme left, 1020 is to the left but is maybe 1/4" further from the left side. The magnifier will slide on, and look fine, but does not center. The 1030's magnifier is black....and 1030's CRT is front and center. So all those magnifiers ARE different.

Battery covers on all three 10xx sets....are different, even though 1010 and 1020 use the same shape battery pack.

The little 1020 I got for just over ten bucks does run and look perfectly though. It just sorta has to stay on a shelf without it's battery cover, and it can't show with the magnifier since it will not really do it's job. I'll hafta still find either a dead 1020 with a decent battery cover and magnifier....or a working 1010 that may be missing some cabinet parts. DOES have a nice bright clear little picture...so the hard part is done. I guess I should at some point get my CT101 back down to San Diego from LA so I have all the little Panny micros together.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Mark

I've always wanted a CT-101 (and 100) Anyways they are always too expensive. It would be great to find one at a rummage sale or estate sale. Good luck on getting your Micro-Panny collection together, sounds like it's coming along
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 09-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have 2 CT-101s, they work well, one I've owned from new. When I ordered it from the local hardware store, I got Fish-Eyes big time-"For THAT amount of money, we could gitchoo a REAL TV-19" at least"...Biggest problem w/'em is the cheap-shyte cabinets-To save weight-And MONEY-they were VERY flimsy, & would break under even moderate wear & tear.They have at least 2X the amount of "Guts" as one of their B/W brothers do, you can almost make the color go in & out by pressing too hard on certain points, or "Torquing" it slightly.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 AM
"micro" and quirky

Yup Sandy...My 101 is like that. I did indeed find it at a swap meet maybe ten years ago. They didn't even know it was color...and I got it for like 20 bucks just thinking it would be something fun to play with....and put next to my little 1010 I'd had since new.

I had no "collection" to speak of really....and since you COULD still watch OTA stuff at the time, everyone just called these "old"....not "vintage" or collectable.

101's chassis is just WAY too sensitive....and this one is a great example of big gaps and stuff. Mine, the sound will go out if you squeeze it.....and I've always been afraid to go inside of this one. It's up in LA sitting next to a Sony "Mega" watchman I want to get back down to San Diego with the rest of my TV stuff I had at my dad's.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The good thing about the "Teeny,Tiny" Panasonics is that most of 'em WORK, even if the cosmetics aren't great. I'd imagine a lot of 'em never saw much use, they're really too small to watch for any extended period of time. Broken antennas, broken batt box slide covers seem to be usual problems w/'em...
Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 PM
"micro" and quirky

Found a black Sony 42A at the swap meet today. The guy only wanted five bucks for it because he was honest and said he remembered it one day just had no picture at all. I brought it home and it's pretty clean as far as the cabinet.....does come on...tuning and sound, but appears to have no HV. Couldn't even get any excitement from JAMMING a finger on the PC board under the little silver HV module (which woulda been quite festive if there WAS any HV).

Figured it was worth the five bucks just for fun....or the perfect antenna, or what is likely a perfect little 4" paddle CRT.

Also scored a little color 5" Magnavox thing for SIX bucks with no wall wart. This is the little Maggie with the built in handle and the torqoise blue power button. Cute little chassis, but nothing exciting really. This one turned out to come on and look flawless, so now have one of those. I have one of these that I could never bring to life...so THAT one is in a shoebox. I got this one to maybe put one together that was working if it needed a CRT or something. Turns out it works perfectly and looks great already...even it's A/V inputs.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Magnavox RD0510 that used to work, but will not power up at all - can't figure out what is wrong with it. Is this the same model number as your dead unit?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM
"micro" and quirky

Yup...RD0510 with a build date of June 1992

The one that is dead (was an ebay thing "for parts"...that I gambled on just for fun)...is also an RD0510 with a build of April of '93

I was just looking at the junked one...and looks like at some point I stole it's speaker and antenna to likely rescue something else. I don't have a CRT checker...so I can only assume it's CRT is likely still fine.

Also.....I was about to PULL the little HV module off that Sony 42A.....and suddenly noticed a crack in the board just under it. Jumped two traces and that little $5 Sony is up and running again :-)

The RD0510 that does not come up makes a very faint horizontal output squeel for about a half second when you first bring it up......but I have no schematics for it. I just looked for some very obvious things like weird looking caps and breaks, then I set it aside since it was "cute"...but not really that exciting. I kept it around just in case something else was gonna need a 5" Samsung 15CAC66X color tube (like maybe my JVC CX-500 someday)

Now since I have one of these that runs....I don't really think it's gonna be in my "display"..but rather just a color set I can use to fix a VCR,DVD player or something. It does have A/V rca inputs. Iit's QUITE portable...but does not have a battery box. Does seem to have a respectable picture though that can handle a good B/W I Love Lucy episode without any real tinting.

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

I checked every component on my RD0510 - nothing looks or tests bad, but this thing just will not come to life. I do have some voltages on the boards, but no schematic available.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have one of those little 5" Maggie color sets-Somewhere along the line, mine got a NASTY scratch across the screen...Grrrrr...I live about 35 miles away from Greeneville, where their plant & factory store are. IIRC, I got it there for little or nothin'.