Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by markallen View Post
I also got the RS "Digital Stream" DTV converter and I like it. Basically plug and play. I now receive 3 public TV stations and also the local CBS and NBC affiliates. Apparently the ABC and Fox stations are not digital - yet. The difference in picture quality is remarkable.

Here is how I set it up so I can get both DTV and analog: using (triple - red, white, yellow) RCA-type cables, I plugged the converter into the VCR through one of VCR's AUX inputs (it has 2 AUX inputs; the DVD player already employs one of them) and then inserted a cable splitter so the "rabbit ears" can feed signal to both the VCR/TV and DTV converter. So now we can receive the analog ABC/Fox broadcasts, and also the DTV broadcasts for the aforementioned stations by switching to the AUX via the VCR. Works well, even if it is kind of a rat's nest of connections, components and remotes.
That's what we do with the 1982 Zenith. It is hooked to cable, we use the VCR/DVD combo as a cable tuner box and we put the DTV box into the RCA inputs on the back. That way, we switch the channel to "Line 1" and turn the box on and we get over the air HDTV. We get RTN over the air here in Pittsburgh so Mom and I like to watch the old shows like Knightrider, A-Team, Ironside, and so forth. I know RTN (Retro TV Network) is on cable but we have to pay extra for the digital cable system. Why pay extra if I can pluck it out of the air for free? Plus I like the extra two PBS channels we have, the HDTV one, the regular DTV one and a third DTV one that shows a lot of Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania history stuff. Anyhow, if we ever lose cable from weather or whatever happens, Mom will not have to fumble around for an antenna or switch the VCR/DVD or Zenith from CATV to VHF/UHF, she just needs to go to the DTV box and there ya go. Of course, we still have analogue TV but it will be a moot point after 2-17-2009 when we go all digital. So even though we have cable, sometimes we do go to over the air TV. WE have Line 2 as well, the front input jacks, but those are for my Playstation or videogames when I drag them out.

I do the same thing with my Commodore 1702 monitor in my bedroom. It has no tuner at all so I just plug my DTT900 box into the front RCA jacks (just two, yellow and white, it is mono so I use the left channel and set the box for mono, I did this with both) and I use that as an ATSC only TV. I just yank out the cords and plug in the Playstation when needed.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:53 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Data from the internet today...

Washington, D.C. (June 23, 2008) -- Consumer Reports Magazine has given top scores to four Digital TV converters capable of picture quality that comes close to a DVD: the Tivax STB-T9 ($50), the Lasonic LTA-260 ($55), the Sansonic FT300A ($60), and the Microgem MG2000 ($65).

The magazine gives Better ratings to six other DTV converters that according to them offer a picture better than most current analog broadcasts: the Philco TB100HH9 ($50), the Magnavox TB100MW9 ($50), the Artec T3A Pro ($55), the Insignia NS-DXA1 ($60), the Zenith DTT900 ($60), and the RCA DTA800B ($65).

Four converters were rated Acceptable meaning they offer a picture comparable to an analog broadcast but with some flaws: the Digital Stream DTX9900 ($60), the Digital Stream DSP7500T ($70), the GE 22730 ($70), and the GE 22729 ($80).
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Up to 11 Million

Dear Pete,

Ordered coupons for my sister today, 6/27/2008 .

Reference # 11,461,003 .

Mail Date : 7/18/2008 .

How many I wonder are left ?
Old 06-28-2008, 11:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

As regards the story attributed to Consumer Reports magazine and purporting to review the digital converter boxes. It may be authentic or it may not be. We subscribe to Consumer Reports magazine and these old eyes don't find it in the July 2008 issue. I have e-mailed Consumer Reports for authentification and I will post here any reply that I receive.

Roger
Old 06-30-2008, 04:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

As of today, no word from Consumer Reports to authenticate that story with the digital converter box ratings. We received the new August 2008 issue today and the story is not in it. I will post with any further developments.

Roger
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2008, 02:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Online Consumer Reports

Check their On-Line Report @ consumer reports.org
Old 07-01-2008, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks WA3WLJ for the verification. Indeed the online report is free at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...es-ratings.htm. I thought you had to pay extra to get this online info - but there it is. The report has almost all the detail one could hope for, but....BUT - You'll have to sort it out: The ranking by picture quality might be the least important factor - to each his own. As the report mentions, these are "minor picture flaws." For this collector, of mainly old B&W's, of course anything related to color adjustments are not relevant - unless I really do try one of those new-fangled digital Colordapter wheelie dealies (captions and crawls are screwed on the old roundies anyway). Very important to me is the layout and readability of the remote - almost a deal-breaker for me. I really appreciate that the RCA has some fairly good contrast - for high-mileage eyes - on their remote buttons. OTH, the RCA box has a universal remote volume control capability that would be great - but only works if your TV came with a remote. But, for my ancient B&W's, it's the DigitalStream that fills the bill. Its remote adjusts the volume right in the box itself - and an aspect ratio button right on the remote - niceties which RCA handled differently. The ability to add a channel (from a different direction) is also important to me. I'll be doing some more "box" shopping and I still have some homework to do. And, it's a bit of a moving target: my DigitalStream is newer than the one tested by Consumer Reports and does have pass through.

I will close with my thanks to anyone who posts their experiences on this topic and makes my future shopping a little more informed.

Roger

Last edited by dreyfoos; 07-01-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: signature
Old 07-25-2008, 03:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

I bought my first box yesterday. The new Digitalstream at radio shack. I took it to my parents and set it up with some rabbit ears retracted half way in a V. They live just outside of Escanaba michigan. Escanaba is on lake Michigan just north of Wisconsin. Well I picked up the Greenbay channel 3 rebroadcast in Escanaba. Then I picked up WCMV from lower Michigan. Kalkaska right next to Traverse City. That is by the crow flys 121 miles over the lake. That is pretty good DX! Must have been a fluke. Time will tell. Anyone else have any DX reports?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhallone View Post
I bought my first box yesterday. The new Digitalstream at radio shack. I took it to my parents and set it up with some rabbit ears retracted half way in a V. They live just outside of Escanaba michigan. Escanaba is on lake Michigan just north of Wisconsin. Well I picked up the Greenbay channel 3 rebroadcast in Escanaba. Then I picked up WCMV from lower Michigan. Kalkaska right next to Traverse City. That is by the crow flys 121 miles over the lake. That is pretty good DX! Must have been a fluke. Time will tell. Anyone else have any DX reports?
Well, there were times I can pull in WKBN-TV from Youngstown, Ohio on my DTT-900/901 Zenith boxes, that's a good 50 miles away and in the other direction, a station from Johnstown about 50 miles away or so. For HDTV, that's DXing. Sometimes I go around the dial to see if I can pick up others.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I sent the station a reception report. Hopefully they reply back. I did some looking to see if perhaps there was a translator nearby. But there is not. The local PBS station for me is supposed to be 13 out of Marquette AKA digital 33. I did not receive that but the digital channel 17 aka 27 from across the lake. I bought a Digistream for my house today but only received the one local digital channel. Once I get a tower up with a good antenna it will be fun to see what I can get.
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

My wife spotted this news release on one of the local stations websites:

http://www.wmdt.com/DTV/index.htm

They will be ending analog transmission early, in September instead of February. The main reason given is that they can't broadcast full power digital until they make the switch. Interesting. That explains why their current digital signal is pretty much worthless at my house.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

I had heard that the transition was going to occur early in some areas of the northeast in order to work out bugs. Be sure and note how well DTV works in bad weather. This is where I think it will be most likely to die-just when you need it most. I also think that the issue is not just signal strength-it is an inherant weakness in the DTV system(One that analog NTSC does not have).

If I am correct, possibly this will educate some people in time to change some things(i. e. leave some analog broadcasting in place as some other countries are doing). (I just noticed that a bill has just passed in the senate allowing analog NTSC broadcasting to continue for four more years withing 50 miles of the Mexican border)

I actually wish that the trial was in the midwest where the most severe thunderstorms occur.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

My ATSC STB Reception Ranking:

I live in suburban Kansas City, I use a $5
indoor VHF/UHF antenna (RCA ANT108)

1. Zenith DTT901/DTT900
3. Magnavox TB100MW9/TB100MG9
5. GE 22729
6. RCA DTA800
7. USDTV DB2010

There are picture problems with both my GE
my RCA STBs.

The GE seems to have an MPEG-2 video decoding
problem, the picture detail varies noticeably.

The RCA seems to have a downconversion video
problem, on the 1080i HDTV Tonight Show, the
picture shimmers when the camera moves up or
down a little.

Kirk Bayne
http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm
Old 09-08-2008, 09:04 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Unhappy IT starts today...

September 8, 2008 -- Wilmington, North Carolina will switch off its analog TV transmitters at noon today to test the scheduled transition to all-digital TV this February.

A poll conducted last month in Wilmington by the NAB found 23 percent of residents unable to name today as the transition date.

Many residents have already complained that the digital converters fail to pick up all local channels.

Pete
Old 09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I have 2 sets hooked up (exclusively) to the digital boxes; one Wal-Mart RCA cheapie to my Zenith 25EC58, and the other is a Samsung 1080 (non-coupon) box with our Sony 40" tube WEGA set. Both get more channels than NTSC with rabbit ears, even out here in the boondocks!!!! We get about 10 channels from Los Angeles, and 2 or 3 from Santa Barbara. Also, I think I caught one from either San Diego, or possibly Tijuana. I can't wait 'til I put up a roof-mounted UHF antenna

***Our daily watcher; Sony Profeel 19" in the kitchen, is on DirecTV. Kay watches stuff on the non-air channels, otherwise I'd get rid of the DirecTV right now.

Charles