Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-22-2022, 12:17 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you only like 1 Nintendo game you have not spent enough time with the NES and N64!
I doubt I ever played as many as 20 different ones on my Nintendo machine, but I do still have the 10-15 that I did buy. I even have the cartridge-slot replacement piece that I bought from MCM years ago, one day I will install it. Plus a Game Genie, but I was disappointed that it did not have a setting to allow me to shoot the dog in "Duck Hunt".

That list of bad games has lots of movie and TV-based ones on it, not surprising since most of those games were always lousy on any system. (Yes, I bought the "E.T." cartridge the day it came out, for something like $30 in 1982 dollars.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-22-2022, 01:07 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I doubt I ever played as many as 20 different ones on my Nintendo machine, but I do still have the 10-15 that I did buy. I even have the cartridge-slot replacement piece that I bought from MCM years ago, one day I will install it. Plus a Game Genie, but I was disappointed that it did not have a setting to allow me to shoot the dog in "Duck Hunt".

That list of bad games has lots of movie and TV-based ones on it, not surprising since most of those games were always lousy on any system. (Yes, I bought the "E.T." cartridge the day it came out, for something like $30 in 1982 dollars.)
There should be bonus points for the dog.

That ET game is almost a decade older than me but I did end up with a copy a few years ago...I keep it for the oddity/as an example of how to not make a game.
The 2600 was an interesting system in that it had so many bad games it literally crashed the video game market, yet had plenty of good fun titles mixed into the garbage, and somehow it survived long enough that I was alive the last year of it's run.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-19-2023, 02:00 PM
creepingnet

LOL, Seanbaby.com - I remember that guy's site. Used to frequent there in the late 1990's a whole bunch. I probably played a bunch of these BECAUSE of his site, lol, out of morbid curiosity.

Here's what I've played

ATHENA - I found this on an old ROM Dump of a 150 in 1 multicart, and yeah, it's pretty rubbish. Terrible controls, it almost seems to me, as someone who never encountered this until it was considered "Vintage" that the sole appeal was "cute anime girl" and that's about it.

BIBLE ADVENTURES
- once upon a time, I actually used to collect these out of humor. I lived in East Alabama and of course I'm sure the Bible stores made a killing on these in my area with all the well-meaning religious parents buying their kids games based around stories in the "good book". This one was not that bad, actually, Noah's Ark was actually a pretty fun game, and the bass-only soundtrack added an air of comedy to it I was not expecting.

SUPER PITFALL - I played this on a NES ROM out of curiosity that it lived up to the Atari 2600 originals I grew up with and loved. Total disappointment. Terrible controls, does not even feel like Pitfall. It feels almost like they were trying to Re-brand Pitfall to Compete with Super Mario. Looking back, it seems more like a bad clone of "Mountain King" or "Zeliard".

CHUBBY CHERUB - To me, this seems less of a bad game and more of a case of a game made for a Japanese culture market where they liked games that were a lot harder. Take the Super Mario Bros. 2 scenario for example. We got re-branded and eased-up Doki Doki Panic, and they got something similiar to the first game.

WHERE'S WALDO - Not a bad game in the classic sense, just boring and on a console that's not particularly good at displaying tiny, detailed objects. Which is all Where's Waldo's books really were - huge, fancy, actually quite funny and awesome pictures of various scenarios where you had to find some bespectacled man dressed like a barber pole with a cane.

MUPPET ADVENTURE - I never played the NES version, but I have some version of this for PC where the Muppets go to the Carnival, and it Suuuuuuuucks. Bumper cars looks like a programming exercise to make sprites bump into each other on screen. And it needs an 8088 based PC to work right, otherwise it runs too fast.

GILLIGAN'S ISLAND - I never played this but the "Let's Play" for this with Armake21 is still to this day one of my FAVORITE YouTube Let's Plays EVER. There's a part where he loses Gilligan in the quicksand, and roams around half the game looking for him, only to walk back to the quicksand and the cadence of his reaction was comic gold "(veers off on a tangent some random unrelated stuff....then gilligan's sprite walks up in the quicksand we were last at about 20 minutes ago).............GILLIGAN! What the f*** are you doing in the f***ing quicksand! What brain where you born with!?!?"

Honestly, what's so funny/messed up, is the 1990's was full of internet humor around old video games that have created some seriously terrible urban legends and bogus myths. I never found Atari 2600 E.T. or Pac-Man all that atrocious or terrible for example - just misunderstood. But people talk about it like you just dropped a turd on their brand new sofa if you liked those games. It got to a point that everyone was doing it, and this was before AVGN, who was kind of a result of that kind of humor. Now a lot of those "terrible" games turn out to not be so terrible after all, just misunderstood by random guys my age who played them without reading the manual.
Old 01-01-2024, 02:03 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Ill try and find those and see if they are any good........