Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

JVC HR-3330 with tracking problem

Hi,

I almost totally recaped this old VCR which wouldn't play any VHS. Other than elan caps, the rest looked really done with corroded pins. I changed almost every cap (all boards except one I couldn't remove, located vertically right to the cassette deck. The servo board is fully recaped and I made sure to use bipolar when necessary. After putting everything back together, I tried a good working VHS. A nice color picture showed up for about half a second, which immediately turned B&W for another half second and then I got static. The tracking knob on the front side does't help but seems to work. It looks like there is a tracking problem and I wanted to know how I can fix that. Is there a good documentation about how to test and eventually align ? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Look at the boards on the capstan and head cylinder motors. These have capacitors that can cause many problems. On some of them the corrosion is so bad they were not repairable. The head motor usually causes the picture to look out od horizontal sync when it fails. The problem you describe sounds like capstan motor.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Avionics Technician

Finally! Someone who knows the golden rule on old equipment: "Recap before touching adjustments". Now it looks like you need the service manual to perform a complete alignment. Most of the online PDF manual sources are pretty good, but there is one site that's a scam. I forgot the site, but get the heck out of there if you see "file granted" in the web address box. I fell for this one, and $60 of my money ended up somewhere in Moscow. Had to cancel my credit card and have the bank get my money back. Wow - I just admitted to having a good experience with Bank of America. I'll have to watch that....

You did recap the power supply board also? This is the one most likely to cause trouble since those caps are under the most strain and are usually the first to fail.