Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quasar Great Time Machine VCR

Picked up a tape for this machine today and brought it in the house to test it, hard to believe but it works perfectly!
Both machine and tape have been sitting in a dry but non climate controlled California barn for at least the last ten years, the good thing is they were both wrapped in plastic bags which kept them clean.

I hooked it up to a Sony monitor, pressed play and away it went, the tape is a little messed up, possibly been near a magnet at some time or just from sitting for years in one spot, it has lines of static that repeat at regular intervals but the color and clarity is remarkable, it would probably be better than VHS if the tape wasn't damaged.

Posted a short video on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyaRs...ature=youtu.be

It appears to be the Soap Opera Edge of Night from the early 80's based on the characters names, it gets switched to a Basketball game partway through. It has the commercials intact as well, all appear to be early 80's, I was hoping for something from the 70's pre-beta era but it doesn't appear to be so, I haven't played the whole thing yet though.

the last picture is the cartridge next to a VHS cartridge for a size perspective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QuasarGTM-1.jpg (23.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg QuasarGTM-2.jpg (17.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg QuasarGTM-3.jpg (34.8 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Administrator

After I make a copy of the tape, probably to Digital 8mm to save the contents for posterity, I will try recording a DVD or Laserdisc with it and see how it looks, hopefully a fresh recording will eliminate the issues with the tape that it currently has. I don't think it's physically damaged, just degaussed a little bit I hope.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Administrator

I uploaded a short clip from the tape that came with this machine. Content was recorded in the early 1980's.
On other parts of the tape there is news with L.A. channel 7 News Anchor Jerry Dunphy, and an ad for KFI Radio comedy duo Lohman & Barkely.

http://youtu.be/DFmitFLeTj4

YouTube seems to have hosed the sound synchronization, hopefully it'll clear up after it's done processing.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like the speed is off..
Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Wasn't this one of the "Other" VCR formats that surfaced back in the late Seventies ?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Wasn't this one of the "Other" VCR formats that surfaced back in the late Seventies ?
Yes, it's the "VX" format.

"VX was a short-lived and unsuccessful consumer analog recording videocassette format developed by Panasonic and launched in 1975 in Japan"

The video quality seems like it would be slightly better than VHS if the tape wasn't so messed up. There are parts of it that play fine so I'll have to upload a clip of that.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Just think... Our little Merrie Band of Outlaws MIGHT be the last ones to EVER use these...Anybody have a V-Cord, or V-Cord 2 ?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

WOW! I had one of those machines once

Still have the tape and a few parts lying around somewhere...

SR
Old 02-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
WOW! I had one of those machines once

Still have the tape and a few parts lying around somewhere...

SR
Do you know what's on the tape?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Why YES I DOOOoooo

Me and one of my former girlfriends having "ahem" fun......

Recorded in classic black&white hehehehe

SR
Audiokarma
Old 02-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Oookay then, I was going to ask if you wanted it dubbed but never mind.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:13 PM

LOL AWwwwww come on Eric, be a SPORT!! hahahaha

Its NOT a consistent 2 hrs of fun, there just might be a part in the tape where you MAY have to shut off the monitor and/or leave the room for a little bit

My intent was to get a unit, dupe it, then record over and re-purpose the tape...
Just havent seen a unit since 1989. It was a deck i messed with in the 80s and i am curious whats on the tape, Its circa 86-89> Thats when me and that gal dated..

I dig the videohead in this unit, Its held in by one nut on a half moon shaft, it only has one pickup on the drum and was removable (not hard wired).. A neat machine, as i recall...

If ya ever wanna gamble, let me know, i offer up the tape when its done duped to disc.. If ya REALLY wanna gamble, i have a U-Matic tape i aquired with some stuff years ago NEVER had a deck.. Have NO CLUE whats on the tape...

SR
Old 02-21-2014, 10:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a cool VTR!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 PM

Yeah i had the exact machine back in the 80s... You have to slide that lever in front to unloop the tape, then push it down and the door pops up, Same to load: Insert tape, push down door, slide the lever to the right to load tape, press play... Its a cool machine...

On the back or side there should be a panel that holds a modulator of some sort, open door, grasp handle and the module pops out...Interesting unit... and HEAVY...

SR
Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

eric steve from ontario you bought 2 tvs from me crosley needing refinish but working the other ? but i digress do you want a collection of vtr great time technicolor r to r etc also numerous formats of tape r to r and cassette great for someone getting into this sort of thing if interested call me at 909 984 2881 thanx steve
Audiokarma