Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phototone View Post
DLP is certainly not obsolete technology, although its use in rear screen sets is now made obsolete by Flat Screen tv's. DLP is as current as any technology for video projection. I can understand that a high-end rear projection DLP could deliver as good a picture as many LCD.
Do the DLPs in RPTVs and large projectors have life issues?
A few years ago, I bought a small Pico projector that uses DLP technology and LED lighting... within a year, many pixels had failed... today, the picture looks as if the scene was shot in a blizzard. The projector ran quite warm (even on low brightness setting) so I'm guessing that the failure was temperature related. A larger unit also failed. Expensive little short-lived toys!

jr

Add: link to old post on Pico Projector(s)
http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...76&postcount=2

Last edited by jr_tech; 04-18-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: add link
Old 04-18-2015, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a full 1080p Optima DLP projector I have mounted on my ceiling. It has performed flawlessly for 1.5 years so far, on the original bulb, no failing pixels, and the image looks good, like a true film on my white screen. DLP is current technology that is constantly improving. In a previous comment, someone said that movie theaters now use DLP instead of 8mm and 16mm film....well theaters NEVER used 8mm, and only a few venues ever used 16mm. 99% of theaters used 35mm film, and big venues used 70mm film with 6 track magnetic sound. DLP is just about as good (in theaters) as film, and is often better because there is no way for an untrained popcorn jockey to set something (on a film) up wrong. I think people just got tired of the depth of rear projector sets, and changing a bulb for a relatively high price once in a while. There were built (and the Mitsubishi under discussion may be one of them) DLP rear-projection TV's that could display 1080i (if not 1080p), and in fact I have a Mitsubishi rear-projection CRT projector that has HDMI input and easily displays 1080i, so rear projection is not so obsolete for viewing current TV standards.