Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-17-2002, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Ok, I know this isn't exactly what you meant by "Vintage" color sets but... found this little 1984 Sharp color set the other day at a Thrift Store. $7.50 no vertical sweep.

Turned out to be a shorted 470mf@16v cap across the vert hold control. .79c later the set works great!

The set uses an actual CRT and is only about 4" diagonal.
The power supply is that black thing on the back of the set and it detaches. It doesn't hold batterys but you can plug it into 12v DC with an adapter.

Anyone know what the smallest CRT based color set made was?

Eric
Old 09-17-2002, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Whoops, the Sharp actually measures 5" Diag.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have nearly the same set on my desk, was a freebie otherwise I would not have it. Works fine off AC, though the battery contacts are eaten up. I also scrapped another 5" color set that had cought fire(!) for the crt. I am not sure but I would be willing to bet that this is the smallest color crt made. Have you noticed looking close that it is not full resolution? I kept wanting the focus tighter, then noticed the size of the pixels. I guess they just couldn't make the phospor bars any smaller back then and keep the cost low. Today's computer crts have tighter pixal layout but of course with LCD tv's who would want to. Here is an up close and personal of that 5" color crt.
Marlin

Last edited by Marlin Mackley; 09-17-2002 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:01 PM
On Land

Eric,

I have a small color set like your Sharp in the kitchen. I think mine is a Hitachi. The crt is either 4 or 5 inch... not sure. Since I am onboard ship right now in Tampa, I can't go look! My set does not have electronic tuning. It play really great, reception is great, color is great. I believe my set even has A/V inputs on the side of it to use as a monitor. It is likely to be early 80's.

My grandmother picked this up for me at a garage sale last year for a dollar! She always keeps an eye open for this stuff for me! Only had one problem... needed a power cord. Of course that was no problem to remedy. This set also runs on 12vdc.

This is actually the ONLY color tv I have in the house! It is also the only solid state tv I have. With all the vintage sets, I really don't have room for a modern one. But of course, I always make room for a vintage set!

Dont have a pic here on the ship. Will have to wait till I get home in 3 weeks.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Hi Charlie, this one has the video in/out too. I thought it might be useful for video editing or something.

Eric
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2002, 05:07 PM
michael

Smallest color CRT set

Believe that would be Panasonic's CT-101, with an approx. 1" CRT. These were about the same size as their handheld b/w sets which were produced up until about 1985. I've a number of the b/w's but sure would like to get ahold of this color set, one of which was on eBay recently. Sharp made a 3" color set, #3LS36, which attaches to its power supply base like a pod but can be used on 12VDC with an optional cord. I think these came in black, red, white, pink and possibly other colors. Cute sets.
Nice find, by the way! I pick these up when I run across them, just because they're little and when you shrink the picture down on a 4-5" screen, these detail and color's great!
Michael
Old 09-26-2002, 05:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

tiny color sets

i have 2 of these sony mini color sets..dated from around mid to late 80's,uses a tiny CRT i think about 3.7" diag,they work great!
model "KV-4000",the only problem is they are so deep .. about 10-11"
both are in my bathrooms..

terry

Last edited by wiseguy; 09-26-2002 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2002, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I seem to recall in the early 80's that Sony was selling a micro Color TV in the shape of a cube or possibly it was a modular set with seperate tuner. Anyone remember anything like that.

May have been LCD ?
Old 09-27-2002, 01:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember a LCD TV in a cube, and thinking why the cube when the screen was flat? I donno if it was Sony or not.
Marlin
Old 09-27-2002, 07:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

PANASONIC CT-101 MINI COLOR

this is the smallest color CRT set ever made,panasonics CT-101.
1.5" uses a real tiny CRT.. hard to photgraph.. but totally cool..
i am not sure the date on the bottom is 1982 or 1987 on this set..
a real trip to watch..!!
terry
Audiokarma
Old 10-14-2002, 11:32 AM
On Land

Oops... made a mistake about my little color set. At first, I said it was a Hitachi. Now that I am home, I see that it is a Toshiba. Oh well... Hitachi... Toshiba... they all sound like the same name! This one is model number CA-045. Date of manufacture on the back says February 1982. Has a 5 inch screen, runs on AC and 12VDC, has input AND output RCA A/V jacks (I suppose it can be plugged into a larger monitor), and has a degaus button on the back. Heck.... I just noticed that button today! The picture and color is much better than this photo shows. Hard to get a good shot of the picture. Oh well... it was just Martha Stewart anyway!

Old 10-14-2002, 11:52 AM
On Land

Small TV prices

I just found my J&R Music World catalog from 1983 and looked up these TV sets. It is amazing what they charged for them! I found some very similiar to the ones we have posted here.

There are 4 different Panasonic 5 inch color models ranging from 300 to 400 bucks.

The JVC TMP3U 3 inch color went for 270.00

The Sharp 5G11 5 inch color went for 320.00

Man! Just think! Today we can get a full size color TV for half of those prices!

Old 10-17-2002, 08:48 PM
AK Member

I really like the little ones.
Maybe someone can help me. A few days ago I picked up a JVC CX500, 4.5" color, AM/FM, cassette, ac/dc, built-in recharge, etc. Nice thing. 3 bucks, missing power cord, so what, I got a dozen of those. Everything works, beautiful picture and built like a tank.
What I would like is the front trim, this is the metal piece that has the control labeling on, I also need the screen shield. Hey, the full set of original cords, external antenna, microphone,manual and box would be nice. This unit was used in a motorhome and everything disappeared when the R.V.was sold.Sad.
Anyways,thanks.
Old 10-25-2002, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

PANASONIC CT-101 MINI COLOR

there is one on e-bay,i didnt pay that much for mine though,they are neat,i rebuilt the rechargeable batt pack and used lithiums,it runs for almost 4 hrs now..i paid $300.00 and it came with the original ac adapter and magnifier..those little panasonic sets are at a age now where the mini elect caps will need to be replaced,the one i got has 7 high ESR ones,i ordered them,but it still plays fine with low audio for the first 3-4 mins.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=728180330
terry

Last edited by wiseguy; 10-25-2002 at 04:13 PM.