Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Identify this TV?

Hi all.

I've been watching eBay over the years for a copy of my family's childhood TV. Haven't seen one yet. I was particularly inspired by fellow AK'er Bill Cahill's story on the B-W forum, who recently found his set after a long search, and how excited he's been during the process of obtaining it. Very cool. I was reading the recent Color TV posts and saw the roundie that 3GunColor used to fix an outage, and had a warm flashback -- his set is as close as I've seen in a long time (although still not exactly it -- his has different legs and no curved supporting brace between the front two). Two photos attached, shot around 1966, show my family's set. Although both shots obscure the right side of the front, to my memory, it's identical to the one in the 3GunColor post -- same lower-right metal door that opens up to 8 colored knobs, with the legend for each knob printed on the inside face of the metal door. Combination VHF and UHF channel knob up high, combination on-off pull switch and volume control under that. I think it was already a few years old in the photos, so maybe it was a 1963 or 1964(?). The brat shooting a toy gun would be me. I thought I'd ask the experts here to positively ID the TV, and maybe even see if anybody knows of one still out there. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

- Kirk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv1.jpg (87.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg tv2.jpg (109.4 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-13-2006, 01:17 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

It looks alot like a zenith. Most of their color sets had the door at the bottom right that usually had 6 to eight knobs.

anyone else? I haven't seen any RCAs that lok like that.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:27 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I second Jpdylon's opinion... It's a Zenith, circa 1962-64.

Charles
Old 07-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Banned

It's a Zenith and you will find one!

I am the same way! I found one of my parents sets I hope to buy. Drh4683 has a big collection with my parents '69 Zenith but he may not want to sell it to me for one reason or another. I'll say my prayers!
I hope your parents are doing well but it sounds like you have not been able to find out from them what brand/model it is. I guess it is '64. It looks like it has the UHF tuner below the on/off volume control. That control panel set-up was used on many cabinet styles and I bet drh4683 has one of those. I'll look and transfer a pic if I can do that. If you can afford it I recommend you buy a set with the exact control panel/chassis while you can and look for the cabinet as time goes by. Then you have spare parts and can sell the left over cabinet, etc. Maybe you'll get lucky and find the exact cabinet first but I haven't seen that one yet and if you wait to find the exact cabinet you may loose the chance to get a set with a working chassis.
I bet you had a great family and childhood. The photos are neat to see. I love the '50's & '60's so much and everybody who will share memories from then.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd say it could be a Zenith. If it is a Zenith the top knob would be for VHF the below it would be UHF with the volume in its center the volume would also be push pull power.

I would also vote for getting a set from the time period then working on getting the correct cabinet. I think these sets are starting to get rare and hard to find in good shape.
Audiokarma
Old 07-13-2006, 01:53 AM
Banned

I found it!

'65
I bet drh4683 will let you buy it.
You are very lucky as it looks to be in perfect condition!
It is clearly the exact set!
I would buy a second one if you can to insure you have parts to keep it running as long as you need it.
In your photo you look plenty old enough to remember '65. Have you tried to remember seeing it being delivered ? How long did they have it? What became of it? Did neighbors come to watch it? I heard that in '65 or earlier it was still a big deal to have a color set. Can you remember watching a Christmas special on it in '66?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '65 Zenith.jpg (22.3 KB, 103 views)

Last edited by Bobby Brady; 07-13-2006 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep thats definitly the one. I still have mine and its one of the ones in my collection. The only sets Im selling right now are listed in the other tread. I love the zeniths for being the very best TV ever made and being built right here in chicago, so for those reasons, I am hanging onto to just about all of my zenith sets.

The one pictured is a 1965 model. I found that set at an estate sale in lombard back in september of 2003 if I remember correctly. I remember it only cost $5.00. Didnt have any focus, the focus lead simply had to be resolderd to the crt socket. You might find the story somewhere on the forum for that set.

Here's a better pic of the set
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65zenLOM.JPG (71.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

64-65 model

That model is late 64 or 65 model the crt bezel changed from the rounded frame to the frame seen on this model
Old 07-16-2006, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Everyone,

First off, thanks for the quick replies. I thought maybe I might see another set someday, didn't expect to see a photo of a restored mint example a day or two later. I'm still very new to this forum, but I remain amazed at the collection of talent and resources around here. Good job, all.

Yes, I should have put in my original post that I knew it was definitely a Zenith. The "ZENITH" in bold raised-letter gold on the front of the set was hard to miss, for 15 or 20 straight years. The set was in my parents' house from my earliest memory 'til I was a teenager driving my own car and rebelling a bit. As I recall, the color lost its red gun (or driving circuitry) and green-screened itself, which was impetus for my mom to get a new Sony Trinitron (with a remote control!). I suspect the Zenith went to the curbside pickup shortly thereafter, but I really don't remember it leaving the room. More interested in girls and Hot Rods at the time I guess. One day it was just gone. I have a few pretty clear memories of Christmas '64. I believe the set was there at that time. Like I said, I don't remember it NOT being there, before that, so I don't know when it was origanlly purchased.

Now that my memory is jogged, yes, the UHF was in combo with the on-off switch, not with the VHF tuner (as I reported above). I remember it being something like a small king's crown, sideways (At least that's how me-as-a-kid saw it), that when you spun it you got fine-tuning for a half a turn or so, then coarse tuning (another ring with UHF channel numbers engaged, behind it). The VHF tuner had a black translucent center with the VHF channel number rear-projected onto it, or "uhf", when in UHF mode. drh4683's photo seems to be pretty much the exact TV in question. The metal speaker grille might be more textured, with coarser holes, or it might just be the photo, or my faded memory. It's nice to know one still exists, and yes, it you do decide at some point to sell it, talk to me first, thanks!

Kaye-Halbert and/or any other pro shops out there, likewise, if you run across one... let me know. Thanks too.

- Kirk
Old 07-16-2006, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

p.s. I'm surprised nobody mentioned the decapitated Santa Claus head in the 2nd photo. It strikes me as a little creepy, now, but I in fact do remember it being a Christmas candle, only because I put my fingers in the pretty colors and learned the lesson about hot wax. I do remember watching all the Christmas specials on the TV, 1966-ish and thereafter. And I remember for some time our family being the only one in the neighborhood to have "color", and neighbors coming over to watch, for that reason, quite often.

I have huge memories as a kid of driving through Chicago (maybe twice a year), and the big event was seeing the colossal ZENITH sign made out of a million light bulbs. Like the old TV set, I don't remember it ever going away, but I drove the same route only 3 weeks ago, and didn't see it (Although the Dan Ryan was an apocalyptic disaster due to road construction... maybe I just missed it?). Now that I think about it, seems like I haven't seen it in a few years, and it was always something you couldn't miss. In the '60s, it was one of the seven OTHER wonders of the world. How many of y'all have seen it? I can see why drh4863, being a Chicago local, would love Zeniths. If only for that reason...
Audiokarma
Old 07-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

My mom had one of that same Santa's head from Philadelphia.

Thanks for the details!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:43 PM
<--1956 300B

You are lucky to have a picture of your family set. I have pictures all over the room except for the place where the TV was. It was a Motorola color roundie set. I have been searching Ebay for Motorola literature. I may find a picture of it yet.

polaraman
Old 07-16-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Captainmoody has that exact Zenith set. I know, because it came from me. It works perfectly, and I bet he'd sell it
Old 07-17-2006, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Polaraman, I know the feeling. We're still looking for a photo of my grandparents set (a Zenith also, mentioned in a B-W post of mine earlier). The family TV is not normally (for some reason) in most photos. The two photos I posted were the only two (out of a LOT) that showed the TV, and in both cases I cropped and zoomed the TV from an insignificant corner of the photo, of a different main subject.

I'm feeling pretty sure I found the right place, here, to find the old Zenith. If not from drh4683, then maybe from Captainmoody, or if not then maybe elsewhere, now that the word's out to the right group of people.

Captain? Yours for sale?

- Kirk
Old 07-17-2006, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do you mean this sign? Its the distribution center in Northlake off I-294. Its made up off all flood lamps and was the coolest sign back when it lit up at night. Havn't seen it on since 1998 but the sign is still there. The pic does it no justice. the sign is huge. I took this photo back in around october of 2003. I plan on getting better photos one of these days as it will probably be taken down soon. Im surprized its still up to begin with.
Just to note, I dont believe captianmoody has this set. I was up at his place back in may to deliver the frech provincial rca roundie combo. I didnt see this set within his collection.
This is nice set and is one of the pride peices in my zenith collection. There's more to it than just being a chicago set. they're out there, they just need to be found. The only reason I find these old sets every so often is because I go to estate sales almost every saterday. I plan my route on friday evening then go to it first thing saterday. Sometimes I find some great sets, otherwise, most of the time, I come home with nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zp19.JPG (40.4 KB, 31 views)
Audiokarma