Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Any 1966 Batman Fans Here?

The 1966 Batman series is finally coming out on DVD/BlueRay!

Amazon Pre-Order
Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

That show was so awful, it was BRILLIANT... You wonder how many times Burt Ward flubbed his lines, & blurted out, "Holy Shit, Batman..." The last bastion of square, tight-arsed, 1950's America, before the Swingin' Sixties overwhelmed things.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

The show is great when I was a kid.How much more they can enhance video and sound of a old TV show for Blueray.

I watch some of the old Honeymooners episodes on YouTube as the uploaders ruined them as they stretched the crap out of the pix to make it wide screen and some shows they monkey around with the sound to simulate stereo.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

julie Newmar, cat women. was my fav villain.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:43 PM
Administrator

I have the Blu ray version on pre-order with Amazon, been waiting years for this, some thought it would never get released because of all the copyrights entanglements, guess if you throw enough money around anything can get sorted out.

It's an expensive set but there are three seasons and 120 episodes so it's actually cheaper than buying them on HD streaming.

It was shot on 35mm film so it should look spectacular in HD. The 1966 Batman movie has been available for years and it looks amazing even on regular DVD, the brilliant 1960's colors just pop off the screen!
Audiokarma
Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Don't the same suits have control over the Green Hornet series? If so, I wonder if there are any plans to release that. The following is much smaller of course, but loyal nevertheless. The Green Hornet and Kato did do a window cameo at one point where each team acknowledged the other as crimefighters, but a few episodes later, in "Batman's Satisfaction", they were at each other's throats as Batman and Robin thought the Hornet and Kato were criminals, go figure.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:36 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
That show was so awful, it was BRILLIANT...
When I was a child, I always thought comic books were silly, therefore the Batman TV series is the only comic-book adaptation I ever thought was "perfect". Now, of course, we have dozens if not hundreds of comic-book-based movies, and every one of them is made "seriously", and I just do not get them, at all. (Superman was the exception to me. I saw the TV show first, and none of the comic books, so the movies were pretty good too.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-01-2014, 02:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
When I was a child, I always thought comic books were silly, therefore the Batman TV series is the only comic-book adaptation I ever thought was "perfect". Now, of course, we have dozens if not hundreds of comic-book-based movies, and every one of them is made "seriously", and I just do not get them, at all. (Superman was the exception to me. I saw the TV show first, and none of the comic books, so the movies were pretty good too.)
Comic books and the whole caped Super Hero thing were silly. How could a buff guy run around in tights and a cape and not be campy?

I can't believe how many times I've encountered haters of the 1966 Batman series blame it for ruining the whole angst ridden slash Dark Knight thing that Batman had been, and turning it into campy comedy. I have two words for those who say 1966 Batman was a departure from the "serious content" that Batman had been:

Bat Mite...

First appearance May, 1959

Old 08-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_90 View Post
I can't believe how many times I've encountered haters of the 1966 Batman series blame it for ruining the whole angst ridden slash Dark Knight thing that Batman had been, and turning it into campy comedy.
That campy comedy is what makes it watchable for me.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Vintage TV and Radio Nut

When I was a kid back in the 60's, I used to play Batman. Cape and everything. Of course when you're 8, you didn't get the campiness.

Once the Green Hornet came out, I gave up on Batman.....I was fascinated by that car. Only when they did the Green Hornet movie a couple of years ago did I learn it was a 1966 Imperial, and I've wanted one ever since.
Audiokarma
Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
That campy comedy is what makes it watchable for me.
Yes, that's where the charm lies. And some of the double-entendres! They went right over my head back then.

Although I had no idea why I found Julie and Eartha so fascinating back then, I certainly understand now. I saw Eartha in concert just before she passed. Orson Welles called her the "most exciting woman in the world" and even at 80 I could see why.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Bob Kane creator of batman said that he thought the 66 tv version was close to his batman , also batman was supposed to be a great detective , the 66 one does do detective work , the movie batman's not so much really if at all .
Yes the blu ray will be stunning , you can do a lot with 35mm even from the 20's , there will be that much more detail and colors like you never saw before , seen this with other blu ray shows , trek , the prisoner , space 1999 , even bw shows like twilight zone and dick van dyke, it is true the dvds will be nice too but the blu the best.
disappointed the 10 minute batgirl pilot presentation is not included, also the lava soap cast commercials and some other odds and ends.
Lost in Space is next.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:55 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_volt View Post
Once the Green Hornet came out, I gave up on Batman.....I was fascinated by that car. Only when they did the Green Hornet movie a couple of years ago did I learn it was a 1966 Imperial, and I've wanted one ever since.
Dean Jeffries was to create the Batmobile as well, but dropped the project when the deadline was pushed up. It was to be made from a '59 Cadillac. He was later hired to create The Black Beauty, meant to compete with the Batmobile but be more realistic in comparison.