Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

21FJP22 Glows Purple

Well... I don't know if the tube was bad to begin with or if I screwed it up, but would like your thoughts. I was working on the CTC-15 with no pix. I thought I could hear the high-voltage come up, so decided to test a few tubes. Video output was fine. Tested the high-voltage tubes and noticed the 6JE6 tested bad. Swapped it out to see what would happen, and I noticed the neck of the 21FJ was purple. Turned the set off, got out my B&K tester, and the tube neck glows purple when I go to the set cut-off. The heater leakage light comes on as well. I didn't try to rejuvinate because I didn't want to screw up the tester. (haven't used it in years and am unfamiliar with it now) Anyway... is tube shot now? I didn't notice the neck glowing purple when I turned it on the first time. If it wasn't bad before, what could have happened? And go figure... it's a 1970 RCA Colorama tube with NO cataracts.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

well.. that must be it. I've never seen a gassy tube before. I didn't crack the tube, and it appears under vacuum, but maybe that's what went bad to begin with. Figures, as I like the style of this TV (very minimal) and altho chasssis seems heavily used, it has a newer flyback and many recent repairs.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Yes... It's gassy. It usually is a hairline crack, but it can also be a bad seal at the base where the wires go through the glass.

Charles
Old 02-14-2008, 07:27 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

This is the same thing that happened to my Zenith. CRT tested fine on all guns with my tester but would glow purple at the neck and deliver no picture. Turned out the tube was gassy. I sent it to Hawkeye for rebuilding and now I have a working set with a new CRT. The set in my avatar is the one I refer to. As you can see, it works good now. Have the tube in your set rebuilt. It's worth it.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Bob Galanter

A little off topic, but seeing as you mentioned Hawkeye, I thought I would step in and spill the beans.

I just returned from a pilgrimage to DeMoines where I spent a little over 2 days with Scotty and watched the process of tube rebuilding first hand. I took over 4 hours of raw video and will be producing a video over the next several months to show how the process is accomplished.

I hope to premier the video at the ETF convention, however there is major emphasis onthe phrase "hope to" as the editing process will take weeks of my time and I don't know if I will be able to finish the project before convention.

I must say, it was a most enlightening experience to watch Scotty work his magic. Scotty has a very nice facility and has 30 years of tube building experience. There are many highly specialized pieces of equipment that you need to be proficient in using in order to rebuild a tube. Scotty puts in a very long day which starts at 3:30AM every morning and ends at about 4:00 in the afternoon. He rebuilds 3 tubes per day. It's a lot of work and the process has many steps.

I had a 21fp4c rebuilt for my Stromberg Carlson Chineese set. I also was present as Scotty did a rebuild for John Folsom's ULTRA-RARE 19" CBS tri-color crt.

OK... now that I have all of you salavating about getting to see the video, I will sign off and won't say another word about it, until the production is complete.

Till later,
Bob

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Thank you in advance for doing that!!!! I will look forward to seeing that footage. The rebuilding process is something that nobody really talks, or knows anything, about. Where is Hawkeye located? I would like to stop in and see the place, if I get a chance.

Charles
Old 02-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Bob Galanter

Hawkeye is located in DesMoines Iowa. Just south of the capitol building by about 1 mile.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 02-17-2008, 12:38 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Next time I go that way on a road trip, maybe this summer, I'll make an appt to see the place... Maybe even leave a couple of tubes, and pick up on return trip .

Charles