Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Checking the Proquest database (which *does* carry the Chicago Tribune, as well as the NY Times, Wash Post, LA Times, Atlanta Journal-Chronicle, Chicago Defender...) absolutely nothing on any related keywords about color televisions exploding. Closest thing: January 27, 1970 Chicago Tribune: "122 Color Television Models Criticized in Safety Report," attached. Though it uses the term "explosion" it actually is just talking about sets catching fire, which I think we all can agree is possible. All the other articles with these keywords were either irrelevant or were talking about the explosion in color television (which in Chicago seemed to be happening every few years...)

Jeff Martin
Chicago, IL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf colortv.pdf (63.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Newton

Eric, thanks for your offer.

I think the early 60s color GE model set I am looking for information on is the one (s) that uses convergence coils instead of permanent magnets.
I don't know just which GE color model that is.

It is thought by some, that these coils were the source of the "problem" with the GE color TVs.

It is not just the coils themselves or the connected devices to the coils, but the arrangement of those coils that were / are, thought to be critical to the nature of the "problem"

It is this coil arrangement, yoke arrangement, CRT and the connected devices that I have an interest in.

I hope some one knows which model(s) this is and could let me know.

Regards,

Newton
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Hmm, that 1970 article does list GE sets as more prone to catch fire than many other popular brands. (No data was submitted on Japanese manufacturers)
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton View Post
Eric, thanks for your offer.

I think the early 60s color GE model set I am looking for information on is the one (s) that uses convergence coils instead of permanent magnets.

Newton
All early 60's sets used convergence coils - you are seeking a distinction that doesn't exist. Really, there is no possibility of this event ever having happened; my advice is to either give up or be prepared for many years of a fruitless hobby chasing this urban legend.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM
sampson159

maybe "twilight zone" or "outer limits". dont think this really happened. make a good episode though. glad i didnt buy that ge roundie. potential atomic device,disguised as a television set. clever,very clever!
Audiokarma
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
Hmm, that 1970 article does list GE sets as more prone to catch fire than many other popular brands. (No data was submitted on Japanese manufacturers)
Note: only certain models.

Also note that the reporting of TV set "fires" is historically extremely sloppy. It undoubtedly includes some cases of smoke but no fire due to operation of a circuit breaker or fuse, and some cases where the fire started in some other way, but the TV set was blamed because it was convenient. Still, the engineering evaluation of materials present to support combustion is valid, and I believe these kinds of things were addressed by UL with stricter criteria for materials and tests. I personally can recall upgrades of PC board materials and wire insulation temperature ratings, although the details are lost to memory since I did not work in product engineering.

All that said, I do not leave my 1967 Magnavox plugged in when not in use.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-o-matic View Post
Well, I checked our historical newspaper indexes, and while I couldn't find anything to support this story (no Chicago papers), I did come across a couple of interesting articles from the time period.

veg
I was digging around myself tonight and came across a blurb from a trade magazine from about '66 mentioning the same thing as one of these, about a simpler color crt from GE. This article was a little later and had the details: they were talking about the portacolor crt, which was simpler by virtue of using the inline gun.

I can play along with all this to a point. Okay...convergence boards varied somewhat from model to model. I would start comparing Sams for RCA sets and their GE counterparts and see what the differences were, and look at the convergence boards and see if they differed significantly. I am not a conspiracy theorist-I would say I am a skeptic. I see no harm, in this case, with helping out those who want to play with it. I have a pile of old paperwork and it's enjoyable to leaf through it anyway, so if I can find something why not share it. I was contacted by someone else privately regarding this whole thing and have offered them some suggestions.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

There were GE sets (and come to think of it..other brands too) I would like to have seen explode. Then I wouldn't have had to fix 'em.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Y'all got my nerves tore up. Now I'm thinkin maybe I'll leave this vintage TV collectin' thing alone and go back to the safety of my day job at the dynomite factory
Old 02-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Hillbilly DeLuxe

I'm not even a TV guy, but I had to read the whole thing.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:40 AM
I like....big sparks!!

All I know is, when I was a kid, I could put my bare feet on the screen of our RCA roundie and see the bones in my toes.

Excuse me...I think I got something in my third eye. Need some eyedrops. Gotta wax my scales, too.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 PM

Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello Newton, I have a guess on how a imploding crt could generate magnetic fields way above the usual levels associated with normal tv operation. Of course my theory is about as scientific as discussions of the star ship Enterprize's warp drive. In a article of Popular Mechanics magazine Sept 2001 issue. They discussed how a Electro Magnetic Pulse EMP weapon would work. It requires a collapsing magnetic field, usually you have a coil of superconducting wire, that is energized, and then you have a small explosion which forces a copper tube to progressively short out the length of the coil which causes a induced pulse to emerge from the other end. It sounds far fetched but their illustration kinda looks like a long deflection coil. I know a deflection coil isn't a superconductor but maybe it was struck by lightning at the moment it happened. Just my 2 cents, Logan
Old 02-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Chasin roundies since '79

Ball lightning, that's the ticket! It purportedly does stuff like this. I remember an article about it, maybe in Popular Science, or the tongue-in-cheek Uncle Tom's Corner in Electronics Illustrated.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:25 PM
AK member

What does a slam on Heath Ledger have to do with jerking us all around for five pages of postings on what is obviously a huge jerk off tale? But the person who put up the frame from the movie with a light hearted joke about TVs blowing up gets high marks from me for disarming what otherwise could have been a positively explosive degeneration into homophobia.
The Vulcan aphorism applies here: "Wanting a thing to be so does not make it so." T'Pal's admonition to Archer referred to time travel; we might as well have been comparing notes on our recent trips to the week of the big bang for all the veracity this thing held from the get-go. Or as William Shatner told a shocked SNL viewing audience: Get A Life. --Tom H
Audiokarma