Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

annoy telemarketer/bill collectors

I recently went to a website that deals with anti telemarketer and bill collector calls. I really enjoy spending my off hours chasing after my phone to find its a bill collector automated call or a telemarketer.
So i started to fight back, by simply putting a SIT on my answering machine then recording a Special Instruction Tone that disconnects the computer that dialed me, they have to reprogram it to annoy me again, it shuts them up for about a week.
Now bill collectors are tougher, so I say Hello.....hello.. on my answering machine OGM it signals the harassing bill collector staff to pick up the phone thinking it is really me, then they get this message:
"Welcome to AT&T Pay by Credit Card.... please enter your 4 digit card number followed by the expiration date, or enter your calling card number now... for rates and fees please stay on the line...Please deposit... Nine hundred trillion, nine hundred ninety nine billion, nine hundred ninety nine Million Dollars and seven cents... to avoid these charges please hang up now.... to apply these charges to your phone bill.....just stay on the line." they haven't called back since

Last edited by Kalamazoo-DJ; 10-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

My phone is patched into the Gates Stereo Producer in the rumpus room. If telemarketer or bill collector calls, I play my standard cart disclaimer "All calls to this line may be recorded and even broadcast on air" If they get annoying, I let them listen to test tones or the EAS decoder, if they really get bad, I play them some Mrs. Miller! If perverse, they get to hear one of my Muzak reels or some Slim Whitman!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Mrs. Miller <g> - if a location is snide to me while fixing their internet jukebox, I've been known to leave them with the entire Mrs. Miller album cued to play.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
My phone is patched into the Gates Stereo Producer in the rumpus room. If telemarketer or bill collector calls, I play my standard cart disclaimer "All calls to this line may be recorded and even broadcast on air" If they get annoying, I let them listen to test tones or the EAS decoder, if they really get bad, I play them some Mrs. Miller! If perverse, they get to hear one of my Muzak reels or some Slim Whitman!
UGHH I can take fax machines, SIT's even TDD's but man, Slim Whitman would do in even the most obnoxious telemarketer or bill collector! I have to believe it would prevent all future calls.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Check out what Tom Mabe does to telemarketers on you tube
Audiokarma
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM
sampson159

mrs miller!i remember her annihilating music back in the 60s.irratating and she would make our dog run and hide when we played her.its been years since i heard anyone mention her.anyone remember "down came the rain"by mr murray?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
mrs miller!i remember her annihilating music back in the 60s.irratating and she would make our dog run and hide when we played her.its been years since i heard anyone mention her.anyone remember "down came the rain"by mr murray?
HAH I just listened to her on you tube wow that's really somethin eeeks
Old 12-05-2016, 04:19 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB
Check out what Tom Mabe does to telemarketers on you tube
Yes its quite funny!!!

HEY THEY GET WHAT THEY DESERVE.. MAKING STUPID/UNWANTED CALLS TO PEOPLE!!!!!

Over and over...............
Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I have the "Number changed or disconnected" SIT for my outgoing message. That works pretty well. And I set up NoMoRobo about 6 months ago which has pretty much eliminated all telemarketing soliciting political etc calls, from several a day to maybe 1 or 2 a week. And those rarely ever call back once they get intercepted by NoMoRobo. If one slips by NoMoRobo then they get the three tones changed or disconnected recording.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

The FCC should put out a total ban on these calls but with free trade would put it to a stop because they have their rights to do it.I just shut the ringer off and told friends and relatives to just email or call me on my cellphone if they need me.
Audiokarma
Old 12-06-2016, 11:27 AM
M is for Memory

There are do not call lists you can sign up to that are illegal for telemarketers to call....Granted foreign ID theft fishers, wrong numbers, pollsters, and businesses directed to use that line to communicate with the line's previous owner will still call you if already doing so.

I don't know of any phone service that does NOT support caller ID so I'd recommend having one. On my home and cell I don't pick up any calls that are not local or from a known number...The answering machines get those, and if the caller does not leave a message with sufficient info for me to believe the call is relevant to me/worthy of response I then I simply ignore it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post

I don't know of any phone service that does NOT support caller ID so I'd recommend having one. On my home and cell I don't pick up any calls that are not local or from a known number...The answering machines get those, and if the caller does not leave a message with sufficient info for me to believe the call is relevant to me/worthy of response I then I simply ignore it.
+1 - Same countermeasures here. Although with OOMA phone service ($120 phone appliance, never any charges after that), I can block spam/telemarketers by adding the phone number to blocked callers list - they get a constant ring. I could also choose a prerecorded message, but screw them - they can get the constant ring.

EDIT- I have OOMA premier, and call block is not available on the basic service...things have changed since I signed up...
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I had a telemarketer call me at the RIGHT TIME once, once he finished his presentation, he asked me if i would be interested in a subscription?

I replied "Wait, let me ask my butt" And proceeded to cut a loud fart in the phone and then responded "Sorry, he said no" and hung up...

I only hope my call was being recorded for quality assurance..

SR
Old 12-08-2016, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
I had a telemarketer call me at the RIGHT TIME once, once he finished his presentation, he asked me if i would be interested in a subscription?

I replied "Wait, let me ask my butt" And proceeded to cut a loud fart in the phone and then responded "Sorry, he said no" and hung up...

SR
Hahahahahahahha.LOL. That was funny.To bad there is not smell 'a'phone. LOL.................
Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post

SR
You won't be silent but you will be deadly!
Audiokarma