Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Motorola Minion

Angry Stop appliance genocide

I can no longer remain silent about this heinous baloney.
Our classic 50's refrigerators are being slandered in a most despicable way.
First it was the compact fluorescent lamps, now its refrigerators. The misinformation campaigns by these silly energy consulting-marketers is more than I can take!!!!!

The Kelvinator was made by NASH in DETROIT and uses LESS than a new one does!

Here are my experiences measuring actual energy consumption of FOUR refrigerators using a kilowatt-hour meter at my premises.
Both classic fridges are in a garage and summer kitchen and opened regularly over 2 months of blistering heat last summer.

Westinghouse 1947 - inside freezer box - 0.6 kilowatthours/day
Kelvinator 1953? - top freezer - 1.3 kilowatthours/day

GE 18cf 1985-top freezer - 2.3 kilowatthours/day (basement- AC)
Whirlpool 18cf 1997-top freezer - 2.4 kilowatthours/day (kitchen- AC)

PPL oldest fridge promo.pdfKelvinator (1).jpg

Kelvinator.jpgNash-Kelvinator.jpg
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM
"Book em Dano!"

If they told you the older ones use less energy, they wouldn't sell too many new ones. My sony LCD uses 300 watts of power about the same as a roundie color set. Not much savings there. The Sony is always consuming energy while plugged in and the old sets do not. People will believe almost anything they're told.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

AND THEY STILL LIVE...Imagine an appliance mfger building a fridge today to postwar standards...They'd be bankrupt in a year...
Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

i agree totaly alot of the older appliances run better use less power last longer ,unlike there modern counter part .there is also another fact that they fail to mention the older stuff when it is turned off is off the newer computerized appliances never turn off totaly there is always a ghost load to keep memory , other stuff just looks off its still almost fully on .for the last 5 yrs i have been adpt. solar panels to my house my way not to share with my local power comp. that will not pay if the meter is turning backwards they say they will only give a credit.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Procrastination Expert

How dare you use data do show what is actually green!

-J
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I posted before, the local electric co-op ran a contest a year or so ago to find the oldest refrigerator still in use locally. The winner got a brand new unit to replace her 60 year old Philco. I wonder if her electric bill went up?

The real energy hogs, of course, are the old NO-FROST units. That's the part that gets ignored all the time.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I posted before, the local electric co-op ran a contest a year or so ago to find the oldest refrigerator still in use locally. The winner got a brand new unit to replace her 60 year old Philco. I wonder if her electric bill went up?

The real energy hogs, of course, are the old NO-FROST units. That's the part that gets ignored all the time.
The side-by-sides are the ones that use the most power. Every person that bought one said, "never again".
Old 05-23-2012, 04:53 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I think the WHOLE "Green" thing is about 90% crapola anyway. Now we got lite bubs that are gonna cost $10.95 a piece, showers that put out less pressure than an arthritic mouse on a flat rock, & commodes that you gotta flush at least 2X to get Yr Business Done-How is any of THAT "Saving" the planet ? Horse hockey...
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

the green thing, is green in the pockets of the state, local, & fed .just a new way to charge more for everything . we could be useing are own oil ,gas ,coal ,exct.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
AND THEY STILL LIVE...Imagine an appliance mfger building a fridge today to postwar standards...They'd be bankrupt in a year...
Nobody could deliver them either, they're heavy bastards.
Audiokarma
Old 05-23-2012, 07:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

The older fridges from the thirties and forties, with their little inside freezer compartments, really used very little juice and were very quiet. But you had to defrost them manually, which is a real pain to do. The newer ones are bigger and no frost: to get the latter feature they have to have internal fans to circulate air over the cooling coils, and then heaters to defrost those coils daily. All that takes juice. I like the old fridges but for the size, large freezer section, convenience of no frost, I gladly pay an extra KWH or two at 8 cents each, per day.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Buddy of mine & his college roomate had a unique way of defrosting THEIR fridge....Taking a soldering iron, making holes in the ice, then stuffing a Bottle Rocket in the holes, & setting it off...BLAMMO ! But it worked...Both these guys were pretty smart & had WAY too much time on their hands...Which is always DANGEROUS...(grin)
Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Motorola Minion

Every 2 months, the old Westinghouse gets like an igloo so bad the "icebox" door won't close, just put a big tray under the coil to catch the melt and let it air out for a day. Its sure a pain if its your kitchen fridge.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
If they told you the older ones use less energy, they wouldn't sell too many new ones. My sony LCD uses 300 watts of power ...
Mine only uses 90-95 Watts. A 40" Sony 40V4100.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

As far as refrigerators, my old Sears Coldspot I think it was, a late '70s model 17-18 cu ft avocado green color, separate freezer on top, pulled just over 4 Amps when it ran. The '97 Whirlpool 22 cu ft freezer on the bottom black monolith pulls less than an Amp, about 100 Watts actually, when it runs. So there was a significant difference between those two.
Audiokarma