Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:03 AM
AK Member

The Spartan

I recently got hands on a Spartan tv console ,but being an audio guy am more interested in the amp and changer in it. The end of the crt has a tube socket that plugs into the back of the crt.Anyways ,the back looks snapped off and I am wondering if the tube is good or not or should I cannibalize it for the transformers and tubes and chassis. It's the very back,after the metal cage/halo, whatever you call it. I know zero about TV's and wonder if it's worth a repair or not.Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the pic in the tube amp forum.http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/att...1&d=1240214050

Last edited by barebones; 06-18-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pic is kinda tiny. If the crt is still holding its vacuum, it may still have life. Check the getter on the neck of the crt. If it has turned white, then it is a goner. If a getter is new to you, they are in just about every tube-they are that blob of silvering you see inside the glass. When it turns into white chalk, the tube has air in it and it is very dead.

Okay, back to the picture tube. Your pic is tiny, but it looks like the entire tube socket got ripped off of the tube. This is fixable. As long as there are some remnants of the wires sticking out of the glass of the tube, you can solder it all back together. Believe it or not, this is kind of a common repair in old sets. The back of the picture tube sticks out of the set a bit, so it has a tendency to get slammed around. Good luck. Give us some more pictures!

Edit: I just saw your post on this page:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...=219274&page=2
If your tv is working well enough to get you that horizontal line, then it has plenty of life in it. In fact, this would be an excellent candidate for a restore. You'll make a lot of old tv guys sad if you part it out, although your back will thank you for never having to drag it around again.

Last edited by leadlike; 04-20-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 AM
AK Member

I actually have 2 sets .The spartan 2133? and an admiral with a 19D2y chassis. The admiral works. The sparton has the broken off tube thing, after the cage. Sorry i don't know the technical tv lingo.Sorry about the small pic.I guess you can't put the same pic in two different forums.
If there are any tv guys in Vancouver, Canada that may be interested. I would certainly see if it's worth keeping intact ,or not. The tube and cabinet at least would be useful, if not the whole she-bang. There is still time....

Last edited by barebones; 04-21-2009 at 04:33 AM.