Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last of the lower-end record changers.

I ran into three later model record changers, where the turn tables wouldn't rotate.
What kind of grease did they use. I could see the BSR's seize up because they probably used fish oil grease, but GE's.
I tried using liquid wrench on the BSR's, but it softened the plastic turntable and almost ruined it. Finally, I used my torch and heated the center post. The same thing with the GE. The GE, you have to remove the retaining nut, that holds the spindle and turntable bearing.
Patience is a virtue in this case.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Motorola Minion

I just patiently worked on three early-70s low-end changers; a GE-made stereo one with dust cover and two Emerson portables with identical BSR changers, 16-ohm 3x5 speakers and wimpy IC audio amps. I want to sell them at a community yard sale in a few days.

While none were siezed and turned at proper speed, I lubed and cleaned them anyway, but there are still issues.
The GE tracks at 12 grams, double what is specified for the cartridge. It will also keep repeat playing a record and won't shut off. Only a spring with three hook-tabs is used to set tracking force, so i'll look for a stronger one.
Both Emerson/BSRs track right at 6g, The mono one cycles and runs as designed. The stereo one has no automatic action yet nothing is obviously mechanically different from the one that does work.
The grease in these BSRs looked like amber pine-tree sap. I used 3 in 1 oil to re-lube.

All three got replacement stylus' for $5.50 each and they will play records, which should be clean. If I get $15-20 a piece, great. I have a dozen other much older and better changers that need work... and money.

BTW-I read a maintenance bulletin at work that recommends brake fluid and trans fluid mix as the ultimate nut-buster.
Of course, it should be dispensed with a syringe as brake fluid would wreck plastic and just about anything else.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I use a product called Seafoam Deep Creep for working on seized automotive parts. It hasn't failed me yet, and I have had some seriously rusty stuff (no turntable is going to be rusty like 40+ year old exhaust manifold bolts!)
Old 06-13-2014, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I use a product called Seafoam Deep Creep for working on seized automotive parts. It hasn't failed me yet, and I have had some seriously rusty stuff (no turntable is going to be rusty like 40+ year old exhaust manifold bolts!)
I'll keep that in mind! Seafoam products are usually very good.
BTW, I reassembled the GE and discovered the stylus is bad. It's a really cheezy looking thing, in a Varco cartridge.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
BTW, I reassembled the GE and discovered the stylus is bad. It's a really cheezy looking thing, in a Varco cartridge.
The key to penetrating oil working is time... With automotive stuff sometimes that means reapplying it every day for a week, and giving it a small tap with a light hammer once in a while. I have had it work in situations where a cutting torch seemed like the only reasonable option.

Would like to see the GE when you are done, I am always impressed by their ability to "value engineer" products right down the the absolute minimum manufacturing cost. It's a shame that even the most
Bare bones cuts cutting eventually couldn't keep pace with the advantages of foreign labour
Audiokarma
Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Very common, Thevoiceofmusic.com is pretty reasonable for those cheap items.

What does the tracking force spring look like on yours?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Very common, Thevoiceofmusic.com is pretty reasonable for those cheap items.

What does the tracking force spring look like on yours?
I noticed there's several notches, for tension adjustment of the spring.
I have to do something about the picture issue.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Motorola Minion

Thanks, so does the GE i'm working on. The spring needs to be stronger, Im on the third tab.
It has a smaller cartridge than the Varco, GE marked C650, tracks at 6 grams