Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Wayne from next door has put petrol (gasoline) in his new Lexus instead of diesel, of course it has now conked out & he's not a happy chappy... I have never wanted a diesel as I just know I'd forget & put petrol in it by mistake, I'm a bit daft like that...
I'm surprised to hear that his employer purchased and issued a diesel car for him. I had understood that diesel vehicles had some kind of a tax or other issue, that made them a little less desirable in GRT Britain.
It looks like the repairs are on his dime.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

There are still quite a lot of new diesels being sold over here, especially for those who travel long distances like Wayne does as he travels all over the country... Cops are always putting gasoline in their diesel cars & vans, it's a big joke in the media as there are always cop cars & vans off the road awaiting repairs after wrong fuel fill ups..
Old 02-26-2019, 01:18 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Bright Boy here had a 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham, w/a 350 V-8. It was the most popular car in America 1975-77, they must have sold 3 gazillion of 'em. Anyhow, 1975-79 were my College years, I live in Tennessee, but went to school in Richmond, Virginia, roughly 400 miles away. Was tootlin' back to school after Spring Break, '77, needed some gas & a "Hit the Head" break, so I pulled off I-81 in Roanoke, Virginia, stuck the nozzle in the tank,went & did my business, came back to pay the gas station guy, he sez, you owe me $15... I sez, No, I used that Cheap Gas... He sez, "Well, son, you just put 7 gallons of #2 Diesel in yer car. Gulp. Now, there are times when even the meanest baddest dude alive wants his Mama, & THIS was one of them times for Moi. Will it hurt my car ? I squeaked .. Well, Shit-Fer-Brains, it won't hurt it, but it'll beat & bang, smoke, run rough, but it shouldn't hurt it...Well, here I go, on to Richmond. I went 70, prayed there weren't any cops-Virginia took "55 MPH" VERY Seriously, 'specially for out of state "Furriners"...I had the A/C on "Deep Freeze" had the radio as loud as I could stand, ANYTHING to run that Weasel juice outta my car. And yeah, it beat, banged, run rough, smoked like a freight train, the whole 9 yards. I'd stop every 25 miles or so & would top off w/"High Test' gas, as we had disconnected all the fed BS anti-pollution junk, I could run any gas I wanted. I finally got back to school, I shut 'er off, it just set there, kept running, & shook like a Baptist preacher at a Tent Revival. Well, I guess you'll eventually quit, I said to myself. Richmond was a small school, they claimed 5K students, but that was with all the law school, grad students, etc. At the part I was in there were about 1500 guys-Richmond College- and 1000gals-Westhampton College. Most good gossip took a day or so to make the rounds, I think my ordeal took about 15 minutes. People I didn't even know were coming up to me, pointing & laughing-YOU'RE the Arsewhole who put Diesel in his Gas car, aren't you ?!? What an Eediot ! Ahahahahaha...!! I paid dearly. And my dear, loving, trustworthy Fraternity brothers-Shit, they rode me worse of all... Long term, both me & my Oldsmobubble survived. You CAN put diesel in a gas car, & it WILL run, but I really CAN'T recommend doing it. Going the OTHER way around-Gas in a diesel-I don't think THAT would work at all.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:22 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have been telling that story for nigh on for 50 years-Gulp- now, & have gotten LOTS of laughs & grins over the years... So, even if I might have suffered a bit from it, the enjoyment it has brought others-And ME- has been way more than worth what ever trouble I suffered...
Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 AM
Procrastination Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Put gasoline into a Diesel engine's tank and the usual end result is the engine gets damaged by the more volatile fuel , I wouldn't be surprised if the next you hear from your neighbor is how the new Lexus now needs a new engine
It depends on how much diesel vs. gas is in the tank. Mostly gas on an older diesel (like my 91 Benz)? No big deal... the car would just stop running. But if it was closer to 50/50 the engine might still run... and you'd likely burn through the prechambers or pistons. If you had just a little gas it wouldn't hurt anything - in fact in the 70s MB suggested mixing some gas into the fuel tank to help prevent fuel gelling at very cold temps. The inline fuel pump is lubricated with engine oil and is rather robust.

https://imgur.com/gallery/1THlMRp

On a newer diesel, like our prior '12 Passat TDI, the fuel is what lubricates the 28,000 PSI high pressure pump. Adding a little gas destroys the lubricity of the fuel, and the pump will self destruct and fill the whole fuel system with metal shavings

-J
Audiokarma
Old 02-28-2019, 09:49 AM
M is for Memory

I've read that some owners of low compression leadded gas cars will intentionally add ~1 gallon of diesel to a full tank of gas to try to keep the unleaded from damaging the valves...Twas on the interwebs so it might a been skuttlebutt.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-12-2020, 09:02 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
There is plenty of EXCELLENT cars to be had inexpensively...Especially if one keeps a careful watch of the used market.

For what a new Suburban costs I could get several used Escalades that would collectively outlast and outclass it...I could also get ~5 nice classic cars that fit my tastes for that money.

The only reason to spend the max money possible on a nice car is to show off wealth (or to obtain rarity). I rather have fun trying to get the most satisfaction/value for my money.

What does an Escalade do which makes it more durable than the same year Suburban? Answer, Nothing. If anything, the extra luxury junk on one will cause it to fail sooner. Escalade= Tahoe or Suburban. aka GMC Yukon or Yukon XL. High trim versions of either pretty darned close to the Escalade for less money. Why not get several, nice but well equipped Chevy or GMC and maybe have enough left over for a third? P.S. they haven't made real Cadillacs since 1967, newer ones mainly tarted up cheaper GM cars of like era.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Wayne from next door has put petrol (gasoline) in his new Lexus instead of diesel, of course it has now conked out & he's not a happy chappy... I have never wanted a diesel as I just know I'd forget & put petrol in it by mistake, I'm a bit daft like that...
Just an update.... Wayne now has a Jaguar as his company car, (I'm not jealous at all, no I'm not, but you know different) it's petrol (gas) so he shouldn't mis-fuel it. The Lexus survived but was given to someone else in his company & Wayne had an old'ish (17 reg) petrol Toyota Avensis, I presume as punishment for the diesel/petrol fiasco...

My Hyundai i10 will be 3 years old in March & will need an MOT test, (a roadworthy test) I'm hoping it passes OK...
Old 01-12-2020, 02:17 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
What does an Escalade do which makes it more durable than the same year Suburban? Answer, Nothing. If anything, the extra luxury junk on one will cause it to fail sooner. Escalade= Tahoe or Suburban. aka GMC Yukon or Yukon XL. High trim versions of either pretty darned close to the Escalade for less money. Why not get several, nice but well equipped Chevy or GMC and maybe have enough left over for a third? P.S. they haven't made real Cadillacs since 1967, newer ones mainly tarted up cheaper GM cars of like era.
You missed the words SEVERAL and COLLECTIVELY in the post you quoted. I'm fully aware an Escalade is an up trim Suburban....A new suburban costs around 60k. For that money I could get atleast 3 decent used Escalades (possibly as many as 8) and 3 used Escalades would collectively out last 1 new suburban...the same way 3 Suburbans will outlast one if you only have one of them in service in a given season and the rest stored.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Just an update.... Wayne now has a Jaguar as his company car, (I'm not jealous at all, no I'm not, but you know different) it's petrol (gas) so he shouldn't mis-fuel it. The Lexus survived but was given to someone else in his company & Wayne had an old'ish (17 reg) petrol Toyota Avensis, I presume as punishment for the diesel/petrol fiasco...

My Hyundai i10 will be 3 years old in March & will need an MOT test, (a roadworthy test) I'm hoping it passes OK...
Even if he does manage to put diesel in it, it won't do much harm. It won't work and some poor SOB will have to get all the diesel out, but it'd be ok afterwards. In the states diesel pump nozzles are much bigger than gas/petrol nozzles, and you physically can't put one in a gas car's filler. Is it the same across the pond? There's a sort of irony to that, isn't there? You can put gas in a diesel car and it might blow the engine, but you can't put diesel in a gas car - wherein wouldn't do much harm. Hmm.

GL with the MOT test. A 3 year old car shouldn't have any issues... right?
Audiokarma
Old 01-12-2020, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You missed the words SEVERAL and COLLECTIVELY in the post you quoted. I'm fully aware an Escalade is an up trim Suburban....A new suburban costs around 60k. For that money I could get atleast 3 decent used Escalades (possibly as many as 8) and 3 used Escalades would collectively out last 1 new suburban...the same way 3 Suburbans will outlast one if you only have one of them in service in a given season and the rest stored.
Every time I see a new Cadillac or a Escalade, I think about P.T. Barnum!
There is one born every second!
Then they make a glorified Chevy pickup with the Cadillac badging that has to be registered as a truck.
I don't think that you can buy a Cadillac passenger car that has a V-8 engine.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Even if he does manage to put diesel in it, it won't do much harm. It won't work and some poor SOB will have to get all the diesel out, but it'd be ok afterwards. In the states diesel pump nozzles are much bigger than gas/petrol nozzles, and you physically can't put one in a gas car's filler. Is it the same across the pond? There's a sort of irony to that, isn't there? You can put gas in a diesel car and it might blow the engine, but you can't put diesel in a gas car - wherein wouldn't do much harm. Hmm.

GL with the MOT test. A 3 year old car shouldn't have any issues... right?
Yes the diesel pumps do have a bigger nozzle so shouldn't mis-fuel..... Yes it should pass it's MOT. They've made the test tougher just lately. When I took my other 7 years old car for it's MOT it passed but I got several advisories: for a 'tyre near tread limit, front brake discs nearly worn out & will need replacing before next MOT & back wiper blade split.'
Old 01-13-2020, 08:03 AM
Procrastination Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
What does an Escalade do which makes it more durable than the same year Suburban? Answer, Nothing. ... P.S. they haven't made real Cadillacs since 1967, newer ones mainly tarted up cheaper GM cars of like era.
I thought the same thing, then I rode in a few of them, and in some Tahoes while the Tesla was in for service. The Cadillac was much quieter, and had a smoother, more controlled ride (even though it had bigger wheels). The difference was quite noticeable.

You can get the CT6 with a V8 - and a V8 with twin turbos

Of course, I might be biased since my daily driver is an ELR...

-J
Old 01-13-2020, 08:54 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Every time I see a new Cadillac or a Escalade, I think about P.T. Barnum!
There is one born every second!
Then they make a glorified Chevy pickup with the Cadillac badging that has to be registered as a truck.
I don't think that you can buy a Cadillac passenger car that has a V-8 engine.
They do sell V8 sedans yet....the station wagon version of one actually can out accelerate a Ferarri!...A friend has one and says at lights on roads with 50mph speed limits he can get it up to the speed limit before he has crossed the intersection.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

My father-in-law has a Dodge Ram Cummins; about 5 years ago my mother-in-law called me out of the blue, frantic. Seems she'd pumped quite a bit of gas in the tank before she realized what she was doing. She enlisted my help. The truck would run but was very down on power; I nursed it into a local truck shop and in a day or so it was good as new. In that case I don't think they had to do anything more than drain the tank and change the filter.

I have seen, through my job, several later model diesel cars (and some gasoline models) that had the old switcheroo and didn't fare as well. Most recently was a BMW that ended up with a repair bill over $10k. No, it didn't need an engine, just a whole lot of other stuff!