Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 PM
The Resident Brony

(See what I mean about the 'BBL' term being a colloquialism?)
Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

New sol-vac came in. Woo, I have high idle again!

Also did a parts inventory and it turns out that the heater core bypass I salvaged is not actually needed on my car. It's only needed on models with Air Conditioning and it's a VERY common failure point.
So it was a surprise when I found people pretty much throwing parts at me in exchange for the thing, simply because the diaphgram held a vacuum, so it's been refurbished.

Also had the front hub actuator tested when the car was in for seals. They confirmed that it operates with relatively little vacuum, however the transfer case actuator still will not pull it into or out of 4WD. They were not being billed to service the 4WD so it looks like I'll be spending more time underneath testing all the vacuum lines for a leak.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's cool that you got fast idle back

Does this car have a dana 30/35 with a vacuum actuated center axle disconnect? I'm just curious.....
Old 04-04-2019, 01:21 AM
The Resident Brony

I hate those heater valves. Most of them are plastic nowadays, but even the old metal ones, all they EVER do is leak coolant. One of our customers is a limo company, I swear their one stretch limo must've gone through 20 of those damn things. On one of their party buses, it got to the point where we just bypassed the fucker in winter, and then blocked the hoses in summer.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

It cooled off this week and I got fed up with the crap cabin heating so I spent today swearing in the rain as I drained the system, replaced all the hoses, flushed it several times because jesus christ it was pretty filthy and then reloaded it with 10L of new coolant.

The system must of really badly needed a flush because the heater core works a hell of a lot better now and both the upper and lower radiator hoses were about to fail. I also located a leak in the radiator. The bottom of the upper radiator hose port has a hairline crack that needs to be brazed shut.

Also I'm STILL finding oil in the air cleaner. It's not the PCV. The contamination is staying isolated to the cavity between the filter and the carb inlet.

Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2019, 12:02 AM
The Resident Brony

It looks like the carb is just coughing it out. Either that, or it's coming from that little thing next to the carb hole.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

your building up pressure in your engine and its shooting/sucking oil into your cleaner. Try putting a vented cap in place of the oil fill cap and see if that stops it. Im betting it will.

I once blew head gaskets out by not having a vented cap. It can happen. Your engine needs to breathe a little more. If you already have a vented cap I cant see then make sure it isnt plugged.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmeplease View Post
I once blew head gaskets out by not having a vented cap. It can happen.
How?
Old 04-07-2019, 05:08 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

For whatever reason. I just found this thread. MY experience w/AMC cars goes back to 1974, when my dad bought me a stripper Gremlin w/the small 6-IIRC, it was a Vroom, Vroom motor w232 cubic inches.. About 6 months later I came home from school & there was a LOADED Gremlin X w/Levi's interior, flipper rear windows, A/C AM/FM, the whole 9 yards, along w/a 258 CID BIG Vrooom, Vroom mill.. The problem w/both of these cars was in their basically ABYSSIMAL build quality. In the snazzier one, the dashboard must have had no less than 378 pieces, which all 752 squeaked, beeped & rattled. The later car would routinely overheat if you ran it w/the AC, but the Levi's seats were pretty comfortable & wore well. The Driver's Door, the weld that held the window-top part- broke from the lower part of the door, & while it never came off, I was always worried about it, or just having it fall off going down the road. Gremlins weren't much longer in wheelbase length than they were wide, you could spin one easy peasy-And not even have to TRY hard. The back seat area was a sick joke, you could only sit back there if you had NO legs. You COULD fold the back seat down & it'd hold 2 kegs, which was all I cared about then... I hope AMC learnt a few lessons on build quality thru the years on yr Eagle..
Old 04-07-2019, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixmeplease View Post
your building up pressure in your engine and its shooting/sucking oil into your cleaner. Try putting a vented cap in place of the oil fill cap and see if that stops it. Im betting it will.
The Eagle uses a PCV breather system and cannot use a vented cap. That orange thing at the top of the photo is the inlet cleaner. It's a FRAM part but the element pulls out easily and and can be repacked with cushion foam.

I was having major issues with oil coughing back up and into the filter and into the air cleaner but after I redid the valve cover seal it seemed to go away. The AMC Forum has recommended just replacing the old air cleaner element as at this point the oil is likely coming from the contaminated filter and not the PCV anymore. I just was not aware those filters could hold so much oil.

Anyways, today was Fuel and Oil day. New oil and filter, plus all the filters and rubber lines on the fuel system were replaced. The rigid lines were also bent back into shape as the previous owner apparently mangled them a little when he installed the aftermarket valve cover. Careful routing and maintenance of the fuel system is essential since the exhaust manifold directly below makes these cars notorious for fires.

Note the silver marked vacuum lines. Those were scheduled to all be replaced today however I only got as far as the vacuum lines for the Air Cleaner before I had enough of the gas fumes.

Last edited by MIPS; 04-07-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 04-07-2019, 07:04 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
For whatever reason. I just found this thread. MY experience w/AMC cars goes back to 1974, when my dad bought me a stripper Gremlin w/the small 6-IIRC, it was a Vroom, Vroom motor w232 cubic inches..
Did yer stripper give good lap dances?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

She prolly would have, but the front seat wasn't very big, either, not enuf room for me & her both, dammittall... My Dad got it in Knoxville, it was bright Orange, w/a white hockey stick-like decal on the side-UT's colors. I found it rather revolting... The 2nd one, I gotta admit, even tho it was a total POS, I had a soft spot in my black heart for it.. In '76, I FINALLY got out of the Tinkertoy League, & talked my old man into a Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham, which I kept thru college. In '79, I graduated, & my dad had Got Religion on Diesels, so he made mr trade the '76 on a '79 Cutlass 4.3 liter Diesel. But all that's another story for another time, & it DON'T end well...
Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Folks. I have officially gone into stupid territory with this car.
Last three weeks consisted of the rear end of the drivetrain being rebuilt due to suspicions about its condition and the possibility that I might not get parts later. I am now over $7000CAD into repairs on just the radiator and drivetrain on this car. Nothing else. This is all stuff that I should REALLY be doing at home due to half of that being labour charges but I simply do not stock a garage with tools for pulling gears, seals and bearings due to cost. At least we're done with it now. Everything else is regular garage work.
Anyways it was found that both rear drum brakes had cracked shoes, the rear passenger side bearing was starting to get iffy and the differential pinion bearing and race were junk.

I also got persuaded by my parents to have the radiator reassessed after the discovery of that leak during the flush. As it turned out the radiator failed testing due to the top tank coming loose. That was something I did not detect but man, that could of been bad. A re-core was $750 but a *new* exact replacement was $550, so I went for that.
Now I'm here dismantling and cleaning the switches for the power seats. Initially I thought that just a flush with iso and compressed air would help but it made it worse, so now they need to be removed, dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:06 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
The back seat area was a sick joke, you could only sit back there if you had NO legs.
That would've been ridiculous back in the day, but every new car nowadays is like that. AMC was really far ahead of the curve!
Old 04-26-2019, 08:41 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
That would've been ridiculous back in the day, but every new car nowadays is like that. AMC was really far ahead of the curve!
Honda's are like that with the added bonus of seats as soft and plush as grannite... When I was a teen and the folks were between houses in FL and Wi we took many 2-3 day trips between the two, and let me tell ya if you want to see a kid get out of a car and walk like a half crippled octogenarian for 20 min give them 4+ hours in the back seat of a second gen CR-V!

Maybe I'm to harsh saying that you need to have no legs to sit in the back.... you could get leg room if the person in the seat in front of you had no legs/was really short and need the seat about as far forward as it would go to reach the peadals or rest their feet on the firewall.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma