Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:47 PM
I love old stuff

Any one uses fountain pens or collect them?

I bought me one (after 19-20 years of not using one) just for ocasional purposes - my writing is better is an fountain pain, but still the ball pen will remain the base.
But does any one around here uses on base a fountain pen or does some one collects fountain pen. I want me a lever one because I've seen such a pen in "Tom and Jerry".
Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

In keeping with all things old around here I am a fountain pen fan for decades but not a collector...just a fan with a few. I always liked the elegance of the writing style of the pens.

The best and earliest is a Parker 75 Ciselé ($25 in the day) from my high school days. 52 years ago. It is sterling silver with a tight grid pattern cut in to the silver and the lines are filled with black paint. Introduced in 1964...mine is from 1967. I dropped it one day at a gas station and ran over it with my car and squashed it. I sent it to Parker and they replaced it. Pump type cartridge.

Another is a Waterman. The nib says Waterman Paris. Unknown vintage in a plastic blue marble case. Screw type cartridge pump filler which looks very 90's. And a Montblanc slim white case from about 10 years ago. Hard to hold because is is so slim. The last is a local woodworker turning out cases on a lathe and using a generic pen/nib. Case is curly maple.

And don't forget disposable fountain pens. Bic made them for a while but they are out of the business. Pilot still makes them and are available on Amazon. $2-3 each. Now I have to clean them and reload.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:09 PM
David Thomas

I use the Pilot "Varsity" throw-away fountain pens. I think they seem to last longer than the cartridge pens, and they don't clog up.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:23 PM
M is for Memory

I was probably 11 when I last used one...It was more for art than writing.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-05-2019, 02:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

There wasn't a whole lot to do around our small town when I was a kid, but a 10 minute bicycle ride took me to the freight salvage store operated by a local trucking company. They always seemed to have some of those cheap fountain pens that used a replaceable cartridge. I can't recall the brand, but I bought several over the course of a couple years. Mostly I just made a terrible mess with them. I suspect I used too much pressure. Somewhere I have one or two older pens, rather stylish. It's tempting to try and do something with them.