Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sencore va62 modified eprom help?

Hello Everyone. I am a recent unknowing buyer of a SENCORE VA62, unknowing in the sense that I wasn't aware of its limitations for use in the restoration of vintage TVs (its lower IF frequency limit is 35 MHz, and the old TVs use 20s). I understand that Zenith6S321 created and made available a modified EPROM kit which fixed the problem, but he has been unresponsive to requests for this kit, although apparently still active here and on ARF.

I know others are in need of his EPROM also, and for me personally, the loss of this investment in the VA62 is rather devastating. I can't afford another one, or the almost $300 cost of a newer version.

Does anyone either know of how to get in touch with Zenith6S321, have one of his EPROMS to sell, or else know of another work-around to update the VA62?

Thanks!

James
Old 02-13-2022, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

I really wish people would try the search function near the top of the pages in this forum when they have a question.
Makes people seem somewhat lazy or uninformed.

http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...highlight=VA62

That being said, make sure the VA62 is functioning as it should before bothering with the EPROM change. The EPROM will not make it work better. I have found problems that my VA62, like the 3.58MHz and 30Hz Servo outputs are blown (the board and parts are actually burnt).
I have had to fix certain other functions also.
I tried the EPROM and I discovered a possible problem with the frequency accuracy and stability. I noticed in videos made by others that when they use another instrument to measure the IF frequency that it looks unstable also. There may be a problem with the PLL circuit in the VA62 when trying to get it to output a frequency outside its normal range. When I get the necessary equipment I plan to investigate the problem.

Last edited by Notimetolooz; 02-13-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Honestly, if you were not aware of the limitations of the VA62, you have no business being in the back of a TV.