Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

1966 Zenith HV /focus issue

Hi Everybody,

I have been running a 66' Zenith roundie origional capacitor daily watcher for over 3 years now. Only had to replace a damper tube.

My question. As the TV is turned on and the HV powers up the picture gets perfect focus and convergance and then continues past that point to not perfect focus or convergance. This happens on the inital HV power up, and happens super fast.

I have already replaced the focus resistors and the focus control has good range. There is a point in the 3/4 range of adjustment where the picture appears in good focus. But not great like on the initial power up.

Is this a case of exessive high voltage? I based my assumptions on the fact that during the HV power up that the voltage doesn't instantly begin at 23 to 24 thousand. I know the voltage starts low and rises(duh) and therefore if the the picture gets in focus before the picture stablizes at full HV than I am running over voltage.

I have a HV probe with a meter but I don't know where to put the tip. Under the rubber HV connector on the CRT, or somehow under the cap of the regulator?

Does adjusting the HV affect the cathode current to the Horizontal output tube? I just want to make sure that if I lower the HV it won't cause my 6JS6 to draw excessive current. Its expensive and I also don't want to replace the flyback.

I know I wrote too much but thats how I am.
Thank you for all your help,
Matt Davala