Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Looking For Time

15GP22 Testing

I am in need of assistance in testing 15GP22 CRTs. I need to ship some one a tester for two CRTs to ensure they are in working order. I'll need the tester, as well as very simple instructions on how to perform the test for the non-mechanically inclined.

Can any one help? PM if you'd like.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Resident Lunatic

I've used a Sencore CR-70 with the little clip lead adapter to test a 15GP22; each gun is tested individually. The 15GP22 is even listed right in the book. Is the individual with the 15G even remotely familiar with vintage sets? If so, using the Sencore makes testing a 15G no harder than testing a 10BP4...

A quick word of caution though: a tube may appear to be very strong on a tester but be gassy enough to be unusable. The only true test for a 15GP22 is a working chassis.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
Bob Galanter

Idealy, you can use a specially made adapter and test a 15GP22 using the same crt tester settings as any 21" roundie color tube, like testing a 21AXP22 or 21FJP22.

I made my own 15GP22 test adapter and generally use my Beltron as the tester.

However, it is true that if the tube is just slightly gassy, it can test good but not produce a picture. So in addition to using a tester, it is also useful to have a hand held tesla coil to see of you get a purple glow in the neck of the tube indicating a gassy condition.

I would first ask the person who has the tubes if the getters are still shiny silver/black? or are they milky white? If the getters are white, then there is no need to waste anybody's time to do any further testing. Send them photos of what good and bad getters look like.

Where are these tubes located?

I am not inclined to loan out my gear to people that I have never met with, or that I have no personal knowledge of. I think that's good advise to anyone reading this post. If I was to allow my equipment to be used, I would need to have first hand contact with the party needing assistance and be compensated for any costs incurred.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 01-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Looking For Time

Of course any costs would be compensated and shipping to and from would be covered. Comtact with the party doing the test would actually be preferable so the process could be thoroughly explained. Honestly I would be willing to just outright purchase a CRT tester from someone as long as it's in known working order and can test a 15G.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Resident Lunatic

I had forgotten about the Beltron, having since replaced mine in favour of the Sencore, but the Beltron is probably the most simplistic tester out there. It would give some indication as to the condition of the cathodes with minimal fuss, and allows you to gently clean the cathodes if necessary. I'd probably follow Bob's recommendation and use the Beltron with an adapter. If I remember correctly, Steve McVoy was kind enough to lend me the adapter.
Audiokarma
Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
Of course any costs would be compensated and shipping to and from would be covered. Comtact with the party doing the test would actually be preferable so the process could be thoroughly explained. Honestly I would be willing to just outright purchase a CRT tester from someone as long as it's in known working order and can test a 15G.

PM sent.
Bob

Old 01-12-2016, 09:00 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

It's always tricky trying to figure out if those tiny 15G getters are any good, but they look exactly like the ones in my tube and it's fine.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just disable those buttons on the Beltron that turn cathodes red hot in Restore Mode, or punch a big hole in it.

John H.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagstar View Post
Just disable those buttons on the Beltron that turn cathodes red hot in Restore Mode, or punch a big hole in it.

John H.
The 15G's have been tested. Both were good. I have never damaged any crt with the Beltron and I have tested at least 20 or more 15G's and probably a couple hundred other CRT's with it.

I am afraid I can't say the same for my B&K 465 which wiped out a couple of 10BP4's before I stopped using it. I also have a CR70 but prefer using the Beltron.