Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Working CTC-5

Rebuilt CRT 'n all. No affiliation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/180684679452?ru=...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Phil Nelson
Old 06-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Waaaaaaahh...Its in New-effin-Hampshire...Might as well be on the dark side of the Moon, even if I could afford it in the 1st place....There must have been a LAW that they couldn't sell color TVs in the South til about '64 or so...
Old 06-19-2011, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

The second to last picture is amazing. That women is epic ugly and her eyes are going in different directions, 24-29 fps and you had to pick that one.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Other than being mahogany, that is the same model as the one I just finished restoring. Interestingly that one has the word "Color" on the bottom of the safety glass whereas mine did not.

Steve
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

There was a 5 at the ETF this year (well, a chassis and cabinet) that also has 'COLOR' silk screened onto the glass, I wonder how common that was for these sets? The earlier ones never had it, and the later ones had 'COLOR' right on the CRT plastic mask. Wonder if the words being printed onto the glass was an in-between thing?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Never saw any like that in the St. Louis area. That had to be expensive.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
TubeType Sets

Wow, she's a beauty!

Mumbling in background: "It's only 1,002 miles from Starlight to Salem. Do we know anyone who lives lives up that way?"

Caretaker: RCA CT-100
Terry's Tube-Type Sets
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Waaaaaaahh...Its in New-effin-Hampshire...Might as well be on the dark side of the Moon, even if I could afford it in the 1st place....There must have been a LAW that they couldn't sell color TVs in the South til about '64 or so...
Not quite so- I recall seeing color sets (probably RCA or RCA chassis Philco) on the floor at Broadstreet Furniture in Kingsport back in the fifties. The CTC numbers and my age were still in the single digits then. I have had a CTC5 (looked like the one listed) and a CTC9 that have since passed through my hands. I still have a CTC4 that I bought in 1966 from a gentleman that bought it new in Ohio and hauled it back in his truck. I installed a RCA 21AXP22 from Radio Electric Supply here in town- first CRT replacement of many that I performed. It has been in storage since 1970- think the caps are still good?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw37663 View Post
It has been in storage since 1970- think the caps are still good?
Mark recently restarted his CTC-4, and it still works on all original parts. Mine sure didn't though, it was run into the ground by the PO who had owned it since new. It sat in her home in Indy being repaired whenever it broke up until 1976!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
There was a 5 at the ETF this year (well, a chassis and cabinet) that also has 'COLOR' silk screened onto the glass, I wonder how common that was for these sets? The earlier ones never had it, and the later ones had 'COLOR' right on the CRT plastic mask. Wonder if the words being printed onto the glass was an in-between thing?
I have a story about that glass. I bought a CTC-5 back in 1960 and fixed it up for my own use. Once, when removing the glass for cleaning, I chipped it. I called the RCA distributor and in spite of the set's being fairly young at that time, it was no longer available. It was slightly tinted, but I settled for a piece of laminated glass sized for me by a glass shop. That's how it went for years.
One night I went to the RCA distributor's place in Portland Maine (Commercial Distributors) for a color TV servicing seminar.
On a desktop was the glass I wanted, complete with the "COLOR" logo. It turned out that nearly every desktop in the building had a CTC-5's safety glass on it! When I tried to buy one, one was gifted to me.
To this day, the clear laminate replacement I had cut is on top of my living room TV's cabinet being used as a protector.
Audiokarma
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw37663 View Post
Not quite so- I recall seeing color sets (probably RCA or RCA chassis Philco) on the floor at Broadstreet Furniture in Kingsport back in the fifties. The CTC numbers and my age were still in the single digits then. I have had a CTC5 (looked like the one listed) and a CTC9 that have since passed through my hands. I still have a CTC4 that I bought in 1966 from a gentleman that bought it new in Ohio and hauled it back in his truck. I installed a RCA 21AXP22 from Radio Electric Supply here in town- first CRT replacement of many that I performed. It has been in storage since 1970- think the caps are still good?
Yeah, just bein' facetious-My cousin Johnny Harrison-Owned Harrison's Bootery-had a light green colored metal-cased roundie color set when I was a kid-I can remember coming up to see it-Color was still a BIG deal then-& my grandad bought a woodgrain metal Zenith roundie about '65 or so-I have that set now. Its currently inoperative.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Nick,

You are correct that the early CTC-5 models did not have "COLOR" on the safety glass. A later production run change, until the end of CTC-5 production, had "COLOR" on the glass. Other than that change, the mask on the CTC-5 was the same for its entire run with the exception of the CTC-5 " entry level "Special" series "Aldrich" model
deleted the black painted surround in the mask. The word "COLOR" embedded into the mask, I believe, was first seen on the Mark Series CTC-7 models.

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 06-22-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Actually, I was referring to the later CTC models but that's interesting. My CTC-7 has the plastic mask with 'COLOR' on it, where the only earlier model I've seen with it on the glass was CTC-5.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:37 AM
sampson159

beautiful set with near perfect convergence.as good as i ve ever seen.!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Workin' Late Again

I'm curious. What would be causing the wave in the vertical color bars and crosshatch lines?
Audiokarma