Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

6bu5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
Maybe it's just my eyes, but those look like some GIANT selenium rectifiers!

Is that 6BU5 octal?

Cory

Here is a link to the 6BU5 datasheet:

http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube?tube=6BU5
Old 01-21-2005, 10:05 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

In the mid '70s, I had a conversation with a former VP of Howard W Sams about his participation in the setting up of the Photofact production line, as he referred to it. Although I do not recall specifically discussing the disposition of the voluminous pieces of equipment that flowed through that process with him, their disposition procedure was probably similar to that of magazines when equipment was loaned by manufacturers for magazine test labs, article illustration, and cover shots. Basically, you had a streamlined procedure to return the items to the manufacturer or advertising agency who supplied them. Usually, they were all too happy to 'lend' them to us for further evaluation and use with the hope of gaining more free editorial exposure for their products.

There were some interesting exceptions: anything Heathkit provided was not expected to be, or did they want to have it, returned. Virtually all Heathkits had to be built, which was a time-consuming pain. One editor I knew actually talked his postman into building a piece of audio gear. The guy couldn't make it work, so we sent it to Heath for repair. The string of wiring errors was a joke. Heath spent so much time on it that Earl, the advertising guy, was on the verge of chewing out the editor who orchestrated the whole thing. (I still actively use an AR-2020 to drive the rear channels of a 7.1 HT; I had talked my ex into building it back in '74.)

Some manufacturer’s expected their equipment back but would allow an interested staff member to buy at 40 percent or more off retail. Nakamichi, the then-high-end cassette deck manufacturer, was one such example. I spoke to Nakacichi and asked to by the unit they sent to the test lab. I wanted to use it as a gift. I knew it had great specs. He almost panicked. No, we send you another one.

Remember CB? Remember Browning? Golden Eagle? They virtually always expected their equipment back.

To sum up, receiving and shipping all that equipment was a part of the business that was no particular fun. It virtually all got sent back.

Pete
Old 01-21-2005, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pete, thanks for your insight into Sams' procedures. I was just looking at a photofact folder a few days ago from 1950 where the company extended an invitation for photofact users to see their production line.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Pete,

Welcome to AudioKarma! Deksnis, I'm sure I've seen your name somewhere connected with early color tv. Now if I could just remember.......
Old 01-22-2005, 08:45 AM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Thanks Steve. It’s both a pleasure and honor to be able to participate.

Now if I could only remember where we stashed those 6BU5's thirty years ago...
Audiokarma
Old 01-22-2005, 11:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Pete,

If there are 6BU5's stashed out there, the guys on this forum will find them. I hope John Folsom receives a tube caddy filled wth them. He along with Steve McVoy continue to amaze me with vintage color collections the rest of us can only dream about. But that's another thread.

Steve
Old 01-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Deksnis ? Deksnis? Yeah, don't you have some sort of old, funky off-brand color set? Weeeeeeeeelllll, Y'oughta take it to the Dump & gitchoo one them there now fancy-pants flat screen Apexes at yr friendly neighborhood WallyWorld !! <grin>-Seriously, Welcome to AK ! Fair number of old TV guys here - I just wish I knew half of what you've forgot about TVs. -Sandy G.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:46 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Appreciate the kind words. But don’t forget, it’s McVoy, Folsom, Azzilena, Johnson, Kissinger, et al., who are the true artisans. It is they who get so many of the damn things to glow again! Thanks to all of you b&w guys too, who now participate in the preservation and restoration of vintage color television.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

i will keep a lookout for a 6bu5
if i have one its yours.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just a note to say thanks for all the respnoses. Keep an ey out for he elusive 6BU5, and please, if anyone has an idea what thet escutcheon plate looks like, let me know.
Pete Deksnis could probably use a 6M3 and a 6AV5 for his Phiclo 123, if anyone has one.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

looks like the 6AV5 is pretty common? I see AES has them for just a few dollars; I've got several NOS. I could spare one if needed.