Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned

I think/believe you will find that the tv/television in the original posters link (Miniman82) is an RCA from the 1990's. Apparently what happened was, this TV/television is (unless it was purchased and relocated) in Merrill, IA (Iowa) which is near Souix City, Iowa. I do not think (nor assume) that the listing was intentionally worded/phrased in such a way as to deceive/trick potential buyers into thinking this was in fact RCA's very first (1st) color TV/television, known as the "Merrill" (aka CT-100). I would doubt even if the original seller/owner of the TV in the aforementioned ad (link) is aware that RCA made a TV/television that had an advertising name of "Merrill". This was most likely and merely a coincidence that an RCA TV/television was advertised as such. I think it would be of benefit to the seller/owner to be advised the phrasing of his/her ad can be potentially misleading as we (typically those associated with vintage/classic electronic equipment) have witnessed with Miniman82's post/link. If the object of the post/link was merely an attempt in which to imply a joke as to strike shock/excitement into the readers/viewers, then it apparently did what it (the thread title) was intended, but if such action(s) is/are repeated, others may soon disrespect the relevance of the original posters threads as some do not necessarily enjoy such joke(s)/humor.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
I appreciate the latitude offered by this site to crack wise on occasion, some 'other' sites would not be so kind. Gonna miss you guys this convention, I'll be there in spirit.
Sorry you won't be there Nick, but we'll all have an extra drink and raise our glasses to you.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another Merrill, after whom the CT-100 was most likely named, as he was a close friend of Sarnoff. Anyone have any definitive info on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robert_Merrill-2.jpg (22.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

My keyboard was smokin' clicking on that Craig's List offering. Good one Nick. Like you, I won't be attending the ETF convention this year. Gonna miss that banana cream pie. Oh, and all my ETF friends, presentations, auction ect. as well!

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:34 PM
sampson159

robert merrill was a famous vocalist of that era
Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
I won't be attending the ETF convention this year. Gonna miss that banana cream pie. Oh, and all my ETF friends, presentations, auction ect. as well!

-Steve D.
Bummer! Both Steves and Nick won't be there this year. We'll have a moment of silence before enjoying the banana cream pie

Pete
Old 03-16-2013, 10:25 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Will miss the Steves and Nick - should we send a photo of pie, or would that be rubbing it in?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
robert merrill was a famous vocalist of that era
My second cousin sang opera with Robert Merrill. Her name is Mary Costa.

I'm another one that likes the laid-back attitude of this website. We try to keep stuff on-topic, but if it veers off, its not a true problem, unless it never gets back....

Bruce
Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Will miss the Steves and Nick - should we send a photo of pie, or would that be rubbing it in?
Actually we had to drive through Hilliard on the way here during the move, we ate at Max & Erma's for dinner and grabbed breakfast at Bob Evans on the way out. Of course, no amount of food tastes as good without good company.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01 View Post
My second cousin sang opera with Robert Merrill. Her name is Mary Costa.

I'm another one that likes the laid-back attitude of this website. We try to keep stuff on-topic, but if it veers off, its not a true problem, unless it never gets back....Bruce
Mary Costa also sang the part of Princess Aurora in the Disney animated film
'Sleeping Beauty' and has a very beautiful voice.

This is one of my favorite films because of the story, and the multiplane color animation, 6 channel stereophonic sound, Technicolor and the film process Super Technirama 70 were combined in an animated film.
Also it was the last Disney animated film to use all hand painted art 'cells'.

In the final tally, it was Mary Costa's voice that gave the film it's brilliance, beauty and appeal to all movie audiences.
Audiokarma
Old 03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbenham View Post
Mary Costa also sang the part of Princess Aurora in the Disney animated film
'Sleeping Beauty' and has a very beautiful voice.

This is one of my favorite films because of the story, and the multiplane color animation, 6 channel stereophonic sound, Technicolor and the film process Super Technirama 70 were combined in an animated film.
Also it was the last Disney animated film to use all hand painted art 'cells'.

In the final tally, it was Mary Costa's voice that gave the film it's brilliance, beauty and appeal to all movie audiences.
That's Mary! I've got several of her recordings, and a couple of movies she was in on 35mm film.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nick,

I think you all got us on that one!

I also might not be able to attend the ETF this year, I just started a new job and will not have vacation time built up or enough bills paid off after 11 months of being unemployed...

I did manage to get the TK-86 that I purchased at last year's ETF working good.

If I make it for 2014, I am taking a day to go to Mason and take a tour of the VOA site out there along with a tour of the WLW transmitter site, which happens to be within site of my buddy's Chiropractic clinic.
Matt
Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Mark

Wow, a lot of folks aren't coming this year, bummer. Hopefully I can make it there (possibility I won't either ). It sucks that most the guys I was looking forward to seeing won't be there. There's always next year I suppose.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26