Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pocket AM/FM radio from the USSR

Waiting for parts to arrive for all the projects I am currently working on, reading the thread about the 7 transistor radio kit and having nothing needing to be done around the house, I decided to give this little radio a little attention.

I picked this up on a trip to Russia (I can't help but seek out vintage electronics no matter where I go, and iron curtain stuff is appealing to me because it's just so different). It has a couple of features which make it a little different from the typical pocket radio. First, two of the two integrated circuits are a pretty unusual design, the third is a normal DIP package.

The other thing, is the frequency bands it covers. Note: none of them are active here (Canada), at all. When I got it home and turned it on I got nothing but noise, and some strange beeping sounds from poorly shielded power supplies and other equipment in my house.

Yesterday I decided to have a little fun with the radio, and make it work on the 88-108 MHz FM broadcast band. First step was tracking down a schematic. Then I looked up data on all the chips, and set out to figure out how the radio works. Once I knew enough to be dangerous, I had a plan. A lot of people modify the tuning range of FM radios by messing with the coils, but I wanted to leave mine alone and instead change some fixed capacitors. My reasoning is I can easily put the old capacitors back, but once the coil is modified it's a one way change.

Given the values of the capacitors marked on the schematic, and the frequency band covered, I figured out the inductance of the tuning coil, and calculated new values for the capacitors to shift it up to 88 - 108 MHz. I calculated 16 pf and 33pf, and installed 10 and 33. I didn't have anything closer to 16 than 10 in my capacitor drawer. If I increase the 10uF to 16, it will remove some usless band coverage above the FM broadcast, but it's not a big deal.

Anyway, the modification was effective, and the radio has been entertaining me on and off all day. It could be a bit more sensitive (some radios using this IC employed a single transistor RF preamp), but for what it is I can't complain. It does tend to drift a bit, and I think that is partly down to design, and partly down to my modifications using really super cheap ceramic caps I got in a Radio Shack surprise box 20+ years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2003[1].jpg (72.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2007[1].jpg (69.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2008[1].jpg (64.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2004[1].jpg (88.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2001[1].jpg (75.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by maxhifi; 04-10-2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Max:
I have a 15 peek in stock if you want.

Gregb
Old 04-11-2015, 12:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one of these.
I remember having to replace the audio output circuit, think I hacked in an LM386 chip on that daughterboard at the bottom of the set (been years ago I did it). Back before we went all digital TV, I could get one or two analog TV sound carriers on the FM.

Thanks for posting the schematic, saved a copy.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey cool a second one! I am surprised how well the single chip FM tuner works. If you wanted a new power amp IC I could probably track one down for you, sometimes I order tubes and other components from Russia.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
.. If you wanted a new power amp IC I could probably track one down for you, sometimes I order tubes and other components from Russia.
Thanks, but it will be a long while before I can find my radio, it's in storage in one of a hundred boxes...
Old 04-17-2015, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Thanks, but it will be a long while before I can find my radio, it's in storage in one of a hundred boxes...
I saw one of the same radios at the last swap-meet in Milwaukee. This one had all the legends in Cyrillic. The frequency coverage was the same.