Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

1976 Panasonic RF-596

^Here's a neat AM/FM portable with a few quirks outside of following the Panasonic tradition of losing its' carrying handle...

The band switch lost traction to the point of being immovable without being pressed from its' base. Some white lithium grease cleared that up.

The green (audio output?) transformer had one of its' leads floating against its' solder joint, resulting in intermittent audio. Re-seating the transformer and adding new solder yielded solid output.

^Here's an after (left) and before (right) shot of the flat-side battery terminals. It's amazing what a screwdriver, contact cleaner, cotton swabs, and steel wool can do.

Loading the line cord into its' storage bay is an act worthy of a cheap magician. Just add "the great" to your name, gather a meager audience, and tell them they're about to "see an AC line cord tediously disappear". Your career in "magic" will be very short, of course. So will your patience with the small storage bay and long AC cord.

Magnavox 19C315-CC, Emerson ECT-1300A (TM0110E), Sears 401.50300900

Last edited by colectorad; 01-24-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Panny Radio

Ha Ha!

I love your "cord magician" description/rant!

I use a paste of baking soda and water to clean battery terminals that have been damaged (got the idea from doing the same thing to car battery compartments). The abrasive action of the soda really cleans, and it also neutralizes the acid from the batteries. Some careful rinsing helps with a wet swab. I go through a lot of swabs with that approach, but I really like the results.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colectorad View Post

^Here's a neat AM/FM portable with a few quirks outside of following the Panasonic tradition of losing its' carrying handle...

The band switch lost traction to the point of being immovable without being pressed from its' base. Some white lithium grease cleared that up.

The green (audio output?) transformer had one of its' leads floating against its' solder joint, resulting in intermittent audio. Re-seating the transformer and adding new solder yielded solid output.

^Here's an after (left) and before (right) shot of the flat-side battery terminals. It's amazing what a screwdriver, contact cleaner, cotton swabs, and steel wool can do.

Loading the line cord into its' storage bay is an act worthy of a cheap magician. Just add "the great" to your name, gather a meager audience, and tell them they're about to "see an AC line cord tediously disappear". Your career in "magic" will be very short, of course. So will your patience with the small storage bay and long AC cord.
The newer radios use those stiff, double insulated cords. Try stuffing those in a small place. Twenty pounds of dirt in a five pound bag.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

**Update**:

Due to unforeseen server gremlins, the pics have been re-uploaded. Also, this unit was actually made in 1976: the first digit on the second row of the audio output transformer is the last digit of the year.

Audiokarma
Old 01-24-2020, 03:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

You need those service manuals. Why ?? Have you posted the problems yet ?
May be able to fix them without a manual.

73 Zeno
LFOD !