Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thumbs up Using the Russian P416A's in my Trans-Oceanic Royal 1000

I used a couple of the Russian P416A's to replace the weak and leaky 1st, and 2nd IF transistors in my ZTO Royal 1000. Other then being a royal PIA to install because the lead outs are different from the US transistors, which would have been a whole lot harder had I not had hemostats. They are working very well, the noise floor of the ZTO was considerably reduced and the alignment was not affected. I am very pleased.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

One observation about these Russian Germanium transistors. Compared to the Originals in My Royal 1000, which seem to be RCA's, The Russian ones are built like a a T-55 Tank.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:01 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Like in the AVIS car-rental ads, you try harder when you're number two. I'm watching some nostalgic ones on eBay right now, since they have a gray paint-job like the 2N1265 gray Sylvanias Dad bought me back in '63 (now made with pure Unobtanium)...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251779384352...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Einar72; 01-17-2015 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added link which I am in no way connected with...
Old 02-15-2015, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

I purchased my Germanium transistors from SOVCOM.

http://stores.ebay.com/SOVCOM/Transi...=p4634.c0.m322

They have a great selection of various silicon and Germanium transistors. You will find the data sheets for each transistor listed so you can compare the spec's of the OEM Germanium transistor you need with the Russian transistor and pick out one that matches. It is very important that you have a good transistor tester. You are not necessarily looking for bad transistors, I didn't have any, but for the spec's of each transistor. People saying that Russian Germanium transistor are no good are making a blanket statement that is not true. They are very good transistors which, I understand, where in production into the early 1980's. The problem is finding the ones that will work. Which can be very difficult. I don't know if there is any good Russian replacements for the transistors in the FM tuner on a ZTO Royal 3000. Fortunately they are not usually a problem. But if you don't have a transistor tester you are shooting in the dark.

I have a couple of the cheap ($15.00 Dollar) Chinese semiconductor tester and they do a fairly good job. My go to tester is the Peak Atlas DCA55. Below is the UK site. the DCA55 is available at a much better price on Amazon. I am seriously thinking of upgrading to the DCA75 it does a whole bunch more and has a computer interface.
http://www.peakelec.co.uk/content/products.html
Old 07-22-2015, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Shango066 on YouTube has a good video on this subject, have a look for it, it answers all the questions posed above.
Audiokarma