Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:18 PM
AK Member

little panasonic unit!

So I stumbled on to this little portable panisonic radio unit with a switch that reads "Instant Weather". Don't know the model but the wood cabinet is plywood not PB. That little radio sounds better than any portable I've heard. Wondering...... You know they always put the crappiest speaker in there, but this unit, the little panisonic unit that could, really pumps the bass and volume! I swear someone added a mini amp in there. So what if I were to put in a better speaker. You know, maybe one that cost $12 instead of the $3. Would that fly? Would I get even better bass, so loud and defined from the more effecient speaker, that the next door neighbors would be complaining about the noise? Or am I smoking crack? Oh here we go! The 5 dollar panasonic unit with a pissed off 6 inch JBL monitor! Of course I would need to beef up the transistors and install a heavier power cord, possibly a couple heat sinks. Now, of course if I did all that, I'd obviously need to stoutin' up the cabinet with maybe some solid hemlock or alder or something. could be interesting! But seriously, If I were to plug in a speaker of the same size and impedance, but of a better quality and effeciency, would the difference in sound be appreciable?

Last edited by Marantz7t15; 04-13-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you connect its headphone jack to a hifi speaker of similar impedance as the internal speaker, it should sound very good, and it won't work its amp any harder. If that works well, then you could change the internal speaker for a better sounding one of the same impedance.