Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Broken Zenith 10S690 Flywheel Tuning Shaft

Hello everyone, the other day I was trying to replace the belt on my Zenith 10S690 tuning drive mechanism and when I went to put the new belt on the knurled bakelite shaft broke off of the flywheel assembly where the belt would attach, and I tried gluing it back together but no luck.

Does anyone here have any experience with repairing this issue, or have a way to fix this?

I tried looking on everyone's favorite auction site but nothing came up.

any help with this issue would be appreciated.

See pictures below.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

The flywheel is clearly a potmetal casting. How far does the shaft extend inside the casting? Does it go past the level of those two bolts? If not, you could maybe use JB Weld to build up the area formally occupied by the broken collar. Keeping the shaft perfectly aligned would be a challenge though.

Last edited by old_coot88; 06-10-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 03:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
The flywheel is clearly a potmetal casting. How far does the shaft extend inside the casting? Does it go past the level of those two bolts? If not, you could maybe use JB Weld to build up the area formally occupied by the broken collar. Keeping the shaft perfectly aligned would be a challenge though.
If you are referring to the brass shaft in the middle of the flywheel assembly, then yes the brass shaft goes through to the other side of the flywheel.

It's a hollow shaft because the shaft that connects to the power switch goes through there.

https://www.jbweld.com/product/steel...xy-putty-stick

Would the JB Weld Product linked to in the link above be a good product to use in this application?
Old 06-10-2020, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not familair with the 'Stik' version of JB Weld. A 'quick setting' product has little time to wick into the microstructure of the joined surfaces, resulting in a poor bond. I've used original (slow setting) JB weld extensively over the years. I mix it about 55% hardener, 45% resin rather than the recommended 50/50 mix. It sets up harder that way.

This guy scientifically tests some other products' performance -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XObmZIbHOzY

Last edited by old_coot88; 06-10-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

A little update, I did manage to fix the flywheel tuning shaft with a rubber grommet slipped over the flywheel shaft and then used an old VCR Square Belt that was the right size to go between the flywheel shaft and the tuning capacitor drive pulley.

See Picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith10S690 Flywheel Tuner Belt Repair.jpg (58.6 KB, 14 views)
Audiokarma