Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 PM
For the Love of the Music

Radio Info on Zenith Transoceanic 3000 and Inneroceanics

Hello Doug (drh4683) and everybody:

I started collecting big multiband radios. Anyone have any more background info on the Zenith TA 3000 and the Inneroceanics. They are US built, a rarity these days After my audio systems these radios are a lot of fun. A good hobby. Any help on these and the Montgomery Ward multiband radio posted here would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old 11-11-2004, 03:27 PM

The Zenith TOs are definitely killer ass radios Ive always been partial
to the 7000 series. Heres a link that will give you some info on
the 3000.

http://antiqueradio.org/zen25.htm

Last edited by glen65; 11-11-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:42 PM

Talking Zenith Radios

Thanks. That was a good read. I was listening to the Zenith Inneroceanic tonight and the Wards radio beats it on AM but not on FM. Would like to know who built the Wards GEN 1479A. I live in southeast NY and listen to Wkbr in Buffalo, an oldies station and Radio 740 Cwho in Toronto. Getting ready to send off the Zenith 3000 to Terry to take a look under the hood.

Eric
Old 11-12-2004, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

With many of the Wards sets you can id the maker by the model number; older ones made by Belmont will have a "BR" in the #, Wells-Gardner supplied for them from the 30s (and maybe earlier) on up into the 80s, and they will have something like "WG" or "WGC" in the #. But I've never figured out the "GEN". General Electric comes to mind but some of the sets I've seen just don't look like GE sets. I think only a couple companies were still making radios like this in the US by the 60s.

I just went back and looked at the pic you posted in the other thread, and noted that it is a Japanese set. That looks like a well-built radio. One way to id a maker would be to open it up and look for clues on the chassis. Sometimes they would put their insignia on the circuit board, usually along the edge somewhere. You might also be able to tell from the names on the components, if many/most are one make you could guess that would be the company that assembled it.

Last edited by bgadow; 11-12-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

bgadow is correct, by checking the chassis for a company logo or name on parts will tell who makes it.
I have a few late 60s-early 70's airline portables, all made by sanyo.
Audiokarma
Old 12-04-2004, 06:44 PM

Talking Sanyo--Sounds right!!!

Always liked Sanyo stuff. Fairly decent TV's and receivers in the mid 70's. This big portable is a nice set. I am listeneing to AM 740 and 1520 from Tornto and Buffalo. It pulls it sweetly and WCBS 88 AM. FM is OK. Could probably stand an alignment I suppose. Given me a lot of pleasure.. A real keeper.

Eric
Old 12-09-2004, 01:12 AM
<----Zenith C845

I had a 1951 Zenith TO about 20 years ago, but got rid of it when older tubes (especially 1- and three-volt tubes for battery-powered and 3-way-power portable sets) started getting expensive and hard to find. My TO was an excellent set, as are all Zeniths, working very well even on shortwave with its built-in antenna. Should have kept it; it would definitely be an antique today. Oh well; maybe one of these days I'll find another tube-type or SS TO on ebay (I like Zenith's newer solid-state TOs, especially the model with the rotating drum dial--Heathkit also sold a version of that radio when the company was associated with Zenith in the '80s).

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.