Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagosaga View Post
Hi Steve,

the purity on the photos still looks good. There are some minor tinted spots in the corners, but IMHO they are acceptable with such a special set.

I had shadow mask troubles with the early A63-11X. One tube had a bended mask, and it was impossible to get a good purity. If the left part of the screen was clean, the right part of the screen had changed colors and so on.

The GE Porta-color crackles inside the CRT when the shadow mask is warming up.

IMHO your observed fault depends on the mounting brackets of the shadow mask inside the CRT. The CRT was not used for decades. With a rigid restraint of the shadow mask, it is not possible to get a good purity all the time. Mounting brackets and shadow mask need some compliance, otherwise the shadow mask will be tilted with warming up. IMHO the interaction of the mask and the mounting brackets is not well balanced. This could be due to the long time of quiet. I suggest tests with further operating of the tube with low beam current for 15 minutes, with normal beam current for ten minutes, and if you do not get significant results, with high current for five minutes. What are the results? Perhaps these data might more isolate the problems.

This is the procedure which I run for CRTs with bad purity.

Question to the others: is this a suitable way of testing or is there a chance of an irreparable damage of the CRT?

Kind regards,
Eckhard
I have five porta color set's and all of them make a weird metal moving noise inside the crt when the high voltage comes up. It is vary strange, But there is no problem with the purity.
Ed
Old 11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
Wayne:

I bypass the neutralization coil and it has no effect.

Ed:

I was just playing with it and if I turn the contrast all the way down it is OK (but not perfect). Just increasing it a little throws off purity. I still have the problem with yoke position however. My screen settings should be OK. I will check HV again but it is not easy with the chassis sitting flat on the bench. The odd thing is is that I didn't have these problems originally and I don't know what I could have done to mess it up. What a piece of junk ;-)

Steve
I don't think you did anything to mess it up, It is just a old tv with problems.
Could something be wrong with the yoke other than the position of it?

Last edited by roundscreen; 11-09-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:13 PM
On Land

Steve, perhaps the issues you are experiencing are some of the very same ones that Westinghouse faced when they decided to pull these sets from the sales floors so many years ago. Too bad we can't go back in time as flies on the wall to see exactly what the Westinghouse engineers were scratching their heads about.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

When jr tech gets his done maybe we will learn more? Seems like if it was a big problem back when they were new, somewhere it would be documented.

I remember our early 70s GE color console TV when I was a kid would pop and bang all the time; I guessed the grounding spring or maybe the crt shield. I don't think I ever heard another set make such mechanical noises-never noticed a purity problem, though I was pretty young.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 PM
On Land

This will likely sound a bit far-fetched, but it's just a thought and could be worth something...

This 22" CRT you're dealing with... is the gun assembly in any way similar to a roundie? If so, would it be possible to remove the tube and stick a 21FBP in there (of course it won't mount on the chassis... perhaps make something like a test jig) to produce a picture? If it would, it's safe to assume you wouldn't be able to get a good picture, but if you could get anything at all, you could run it for a while and monitor whether or not there are any sudden changes. If while running a round tube, there's a sudden change in the color or purity (and naturally it's assumed you wouldn't get perfect purity with a roundie to begin with), the sudden changes on a round tube would probably reassure that your issue is on the chassis itself instead of the 22" CRT. If there aren't any sudden changes as you've described before, then you could lean more towards the 22" CRT being the problem.

Like I said... kinda far fetched... but ya never know without asking.

Audiokarma
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Charlie:

I like your idea. The guns are the same as a 21 inch round tube. The problem is that I really do not want to risk pulling the CRT out. It is not my set and if I break the CRT I am in big trouble! If it were mine I would definitely try that. Unfortunately I can not just pull the deflection and convergence yokes (to put on another tube) either as they are soldered in.

Steve
Old 11-09-2009, 10:20 PM
On Land

Quote:
Charlie:

I Unfortunately I can not just pull the deflection and convergence yokes (to put on another tube) either as they are soldered in.
Ahhh... well... just a thought. Maybe after some more thought, someone can come up with a way to pull this off without taking a chance on having an "oops" on our hands.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
When jr tech gets his done maybe we will learn more? Seems like if it was a big problem back when they were new, somewhere it would be documented.
Well, mine does not "pop" and change purity and never has... but when I got it in the early 80s it was pretty dim (and it is not getting any better with age ), so the beam current is probably nowhere close to what you are getting. The only thing noted by the original owner was the need to tweek the convergence as the set warmed up. He usually just turned it on a half hour or so before he wanted to watch it.

Is the HV stable on your set?

jr
Old 11-10-2009, 12:14 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
It is not my set and if I break the CRT I am in big trouble!

Steve
Crack-HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

(I won't even joke)....

Seriously, how about a set of extend-O-cables? I probably have them, including the anode lead. Is the yoke removable without removing the tube? I can't remember.

Charles
Old 11-11-2009, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Any old test jig, even rectangular, should work to a degree, right? Sometimes I wish I kept intact my roundie test jig, but of course it took up as much space as a typical set. Better to just use the cables.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Any test jig would work but the problem is that all the wires to the yoke and convergence yoke are hardwired in, they do not plug in. I do not want to try to unsolder everything especially on the convergence panel which is very hart to get to in the first place.

Steve
Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

that could be a real pain, to unsolder all the yoke and convergence wires.... some nice set though!

About the portacolor noises....i just switched mine on and couldn't hear this. Strange. My favorite is the crackle of the yoke absorbing all the static from the neck when a crt is switched off.....oh and BTW, "This Tube Employs INTEGRAL Implosion Protection....Do Not Adjust Your Set!"
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well I think that I am going to call it a day with this set. I have an OK picture. Still some purity issues but the convergence is good. I put it back together and took the following pictures. Some of the pictures have curvy lines that are from the camera and not on the screen.

The sad thing now is that I have to return it to its owner.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5screen.jpg (60.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 1screen.jpg (66.7 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg 2screen.jpg (75.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 3screen.jpg (76.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 4screen.jpg (68.5 KB, 164 views)
Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Steve,

I think current owner should be very proud to show off this TV, and extremely pleased with your work. I think you have done a fantastic job on the set. And its little purity issues can be looked on as features! Too bad it cannot stay at you house.

Maybe current owner will let you work on one of the many other interesting sets he has.....
Old 11-14-2009, 12:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 01:38 PM.
Audiokarma