Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:13 PM
<--1956 300B

New find CTC 15

Got this today from a local repair shop. It is missing the knobs, tuner, and yoke. Does anybody out there have those items? I would like to put this set back together. I would have to mention it was FREE! The dust and grime came with it also.

polaraman
Old 04-05-2004, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a yoke I pulled out of a set I parted, I'm pretty sure that was a 15. Do you know if they are all the same? I have another set thats been in storage which had been unidentified and I just found out it is a 15, so I could try and compare the two. Should be good 'cause the set it came out of had a raster.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 PM
<--1956 300B

I would greatly appreciate your efforts.

polaraman
Old 04-06-2004, 06:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'll send you a PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:51 PM
On Land

I may have a CTC-15 tuner that will help, although it will not have the correct channel indicator drum assembly. The cabinet you have shows the channel number thru the tinted window just above the selector knob. This tuner will use a knob that has the channel numbers on it. It should mount just fine in your cabinet.

I don't know the condition of the tuner, but at least it will be a start. If it turns out that the tuner fails to function properly, it could be rebuilt. IIRC, Eric had a tuner rebuilt by a guy here in Texas for a very reasonable price.

There's no connector for the tuner wires, so I guess they just cut your wires. Did they leave you much to work with? Although I haven't looked yet, it seems the colors on the insulation always fades.

I suppose the only difference between the tuners for these sets would be the indicator assemblies. I would think that they are the same electronically. Does anyone here think differently?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 04-12-2004, 08:24 PM
<--1956 300B

Charlie,

I am actually not going to use that cabinet. I got this really nice Cherry wood cabinet that I aim to use. (cabinet on the botton) It will have the slot for the numbered drum. It is in much better shape than the other cabinet. All I had to do with this cabinet is clean it off. I have the chassis already sitting in it. I appreciate your effort. Quality Tuner Repair does a great job at a reasonable price. I will send it to them upon recipt. The wires on my set were cut with a little length. I should be able to reconnect them. Again, Thank You!

polaraman

Last edited by polaraman; 04-12-2004 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:48 PM
On Land

Ahhh... I see now. Your tinted window is gone! Is that a little window above your tuner knob hole? It usually is not exposed like that. Either it would have a tinted piece of plastic there like the photo I'm showing below, or it would have a silver looking insert. I would guess that your wood cabinet had the tinted plastic earlier in it's life.

In any case, this tuner should work for you. I will dig it out tomorrow and find a box for it. It probably works, but as I mentioned earlier, it can be rebuilt for a very reasonable price.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:50 PM
On Land

I think this is what yours used to look like....

Old 04-13-2004, 03:55 PM
On Land

Polar,

Do you already have a schematic for this set? I am working on pulling and marking the wires on the tuner. I can put together a Sams as well if you need one.

Charlie

Old 04-13-2004, 05:34 PM
<--1956 300B

Charlie,

I sent your parts out today. They should be there by Friday. I bought an RCA field service guide that covers all color sets from 1955-1966.

polaraman
Audiokarma
Old 04-14-2004, 10:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question tuner plastic strips

I have a theatrical lighting gel swatch book and it has many different neutral gels in it, if you are looking for something to project the channel on one of the darker ones would work.
Richard