Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mock TV studio in film "Something In The Wind"

G'day all.

I might of posted this a long time back but thought I'd post it again. In my transferring of beta tapes I came across an old B&W movie from 1947 entitled "Something In The Wind" and at the end of the film there was a mock television studio setup with completely abstract design TV cameras and control room monitors. Seeing this movie can now be viewed on YouTube, here is a link to the final segment of the film featuring the studio setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruJ83Y6hglA

I like how the fake cameras were designed, they certainly have been made with style!!! In a sense they kind of look like medical vidicon cameras that would be mounted from the ceiling to film operations like in this image http://uv201.com/Photo%20Pages/Photo.../rca_lab_3.jpg . And the monitors look pretty cool too even though they are props with pictures superimposed or keyed onto them. Whoever designed the set had a pretty cool imagination!!!

Last edited by Aussie Bloke; 12-14-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Administrator

Whoever designed it must have seen Metropolis! Cool indeed.

The set at 1:15 is real, looks like an RCA console with a 630 chassis but I can't pin down the model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sitwtv.jpg (13.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Large rectangular screens in 1947??? Television was so new then that no one knew what a camera would look like so they tried to make them into a Buck Rogers looking scene as that was exciting then. Too bad that prop doesn't exist today as I would like to examine that camera and the dentist's chair. It's easy to see why that style never became a norm in the TV industry! You had to hold onto any angle you made and dollying the camera? Who came up with that idea??

Last edited by julianburke; 12-22-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Those cameras were stylish but very impractical - the camera operator had no view of what might be entering the picture from outside the frame.