Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Procrastination Expert

New Member, new-to-me set, new adventures!

Hi all,

I found this forum doing some searches related to a 1957 RCA B&W set I just picked up at a garage sale, model 21-S-7447. I'll be getting it to my place tomorrow! This will be my first vintage electronics restoration. I've worked with modern electrics though so I don't think I'm totally in over my head

According to the seller the set hasn't been powered up in over 10 years. When last powered up it supposedly worked. Looking inside all the bits seem to be there, though the wires for the power / channel lamp are disconnected. Don't worry, I'm not going to power it on until the capacitors have been replaced and the frayed line cord is replaced.

I've tried to find service information for this set but have come up empty handed. Any tips on where to look?

Reading through the threads here it seems there's quite a few members from Michigan here. I guess one more won't hurt

Thanks!

-Jason

EDIT: I accidentally posted this in the color forum. Oops, could a moderator move this to the B&W section?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv model.jpg (71.8 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by compu_85; 09-11-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hi Jason, welcome to VK!

I moved it to the B&W Forum for you.

I would try to power it up before starting the recap.
It'll probably work in some fashion and it's good to know what you have before you start so if something is wrong after you'll know if it's a new problem or an old one.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Gizmo Nut

Welcome!
Old 09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool! And welcome. do you have a front view?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Procrastination Expert

I didn't take a picture of the front, I should have. I'll be sure to share with the rest of the class when I get the set to my place tomorrow.

-J
Audiokarma
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome to AK!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jason,
I emailed you the Sams Folder in .pdf format.
Jim
Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
RCA 741PCS

Welcome to VK. I like that "Panoramic Speaker System" label.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had one that same age, similiar story. The guy who gave it to me hadn't tried it in about 10 years, in which time at least one of the filters had gone bad. (as I learned when I tried to power it up) But it was a fairly straightforward repair and the set worked well. I later sold it to another collector. Mine had the vertical chassis that wraps around the crt neck.

Oh, and welcome! If you need anything, just ask...tubes, knobs, etc, somebody here probably has it!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Procrastination Expert

Got the set home.

Seems it was downgraded from a "Delux" model to just a "elux" It has 3 speakers in the bottom of the cabinet, a larger one pointing straight ahead and a smaller one on each side mounted on an angle.

Anyway, there's a little funny business going on inside. Looks like the picture tube was replaced at some point around 1964. One of the mounting nuts for it is missing The tube connector looks like it was glued on, and not meat to come off. On a first look it seemed loose and broken, I was worried the nipple on the end of the tube may have been damaged. As I prodded the connector it started to come apart. I've never see an picture tube with a "permanent" connector on the end. Is this normal? Also the HV lead does not have a rubber cup on the end.

-J
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1320.jpg (110.7 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_1319.jpg (64.1 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_1328.jpg (49.7 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_1324.jpg (78.3 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_1329.jpg (61.7 KB, 357 views)
Audiokarma
Old 09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
RCA 741PCS

Ugh. That's the CRT base that's come off. It's definitely suppose to be bonded to the glass with that resin you can see the remains of. The socket that is meant to come off is the half-moon with 5 wires going to it. You're going to need to resolder and glue a base back on that CRT. I hope none of the wires have broken off.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, that socket on the end of the CRT is normal. Just like an octal tube, but with 12 pins (or at least 12 positions for pins). Starting a few years later, this type of socket was no longer used on CRTs, and the socket pins came right out of the glass, like a miniature tube.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
Anyway, there's a little funny business going on inside. Looks like the picture tube was replaced at some point around 1964. One of the mounting nuts for it is missing The tube connector looks like it was glued on, and not meat to come off. On a first look it seemed loose and broken, I was worried the nipple on the end of the tube may have been damaged. As I prodded the connector it started to come apart. I've never see an picture tube with a "permanent" connector on the end. Is this normal? Also the HV lead does not have a rubber cup on the end.
-J
OOPS! The CRT base cap, which is cemented to the tube neck came off, rather than the CRT connector.
Sometimes the connectors are corroded, and are stuck to the CRT base cap, but with a little WD-40 and careful prying the half-round connector with the wires attached should come loose from the CRT base cap.
You should be able to solder the wires back to the base cap and repair the CRT, if the wires are not broken off flush with the glass.

Many sets do not use a rubber bootie around the HV connector.
jr
Old 09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
RCA 741PCS

You might find this thread on repairing a damaged base useful: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...=248393&page=2
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's a nice blond. Hopefully you can save the CRT and it test's good. I have a Beltron tester and it's one of the best to use. If it tests bad up the filament voltage up to 8 volts and let it cook for a couple hours. then retest and do the clean function.
I'm not sure what crt you have in there. the label in your picture is not the one with the Tube number. More than likely it is a number something like 21XXP4. the XX are actually numbers. It might say on the tube diagram on the inside of the cabinet. I have a couple of good 21" tubes that may or may not work. But I live way north in Escanaba.
Audiokarma