Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM
AK Member

Modern radio with the best reception.

Which modern radio has the best am reception, and does anyone know of a good internet site with information. My dad's birthday!

Tom
Juicy Music Peach, McIntosh MX-117
1954 and 1956 Khorns
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 AM
speedfreak jive

I've been pleased with my Tivoli Model One in the bathroom. I may purchase another for the kitchen.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuisis View Post
does anyone know of a good internet site with information.
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

Second on the Tivoli. I don't listen to much radio, but a Model One pulls duty in my main rig as a tuner, when needed.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

A good AM radio is problematical, as most tuners consider it a poor-relation afterthought, as do most hi-end SW receivers.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 AM
AK Member

You do not define the term "best reception" so hard to answer. Does it mean best sounding, best to pull in far off stations, dx'er, or other? Also, portable or not and with or without external AM antenna connection?

As you do mention modern so discussing things like good am radios from the golden tube days that are 1st class receivers or later units. You also mention radio so tuners are out.

I found one that is sensitive, sounds good, and pulls well. Also, has a good FM section and output for stereo through the headphone jack and has stereo line outputs. Also, has SW. It is portable and can use either D or AA cell batteries and the batteries last a long time. Tuning is easy as it is an analog tuner so not lots of buttons to deal with while it does have a digital readout so easy to dial into a specific frequency. There were originally in the $200 range but now can be bought in the $60 range.as they've been out a few years and early on had some QC issues. It is the Eton S350DL also marketed as the Grudig S350DL.

I work in an office that is on the interior of a steel and cement facility with 12 floors of computer company and next to me 2 server rooms. Talk about a tough test for AM. It is the only radio I've tried that can pull in any AM stations and it doe so rather well. No, not noiseless but, good enough for listening while the others I've and others have tried will not even pick up a hint of an AM station. A number of others in the facility have likewise picked them up for their offices.

The unit has a decent sized speaker and separate bass and treble controls that are effective.

I've now got 2 of them with the other a bedside radio sitting on my Hallicrafters SW tube radio.
Audiokarma
Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
AK Member

I guess I could have been more specific. I meant clear signal, not so much the best sounding. Thanks for the advice so far. I also should have said stand alone radio, not a tuner.

Tom
Juicy Music Peach, McIntosh MX-117
1954 and 1956 Khorns
Old 10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
AK Member

Tom, AM is not like FM in that a clear signal is more a function of the atmospheric conditions in addition to signal strength as AM like SW skips. Some days you'll find it difficult to get a station without noise of sufficient quality to listen to and another time or day it will be as good as a signal originating 10 miles away that would sound good on a crystal radio. I think I understand what you are asking and still suggest you look at the Eton. Also, check out the C.C. Crane, as they have both radios and antennas you may want to consider if he is looking to pick up stations quite distant. The Eton from Toronto picks up Boston, Chicago, LA, and Atlanta without an external antenna.

Unlike the old days, there are stations that at night own a frequency basically coast to coast where during the day local stations also will occupy the frequency, think that's how it works.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

GE's Superradio series of a few years back were supposed to be The Business when it came to AM reception.....I had one, & really wasn't all THAT impressed w/it. But when you've got what I'VE got, most of the modern stuff looks pretty lame...
Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
AK Member

There apparently are several version of the GE Super Radio and it depends on the version from what I've read. I tried one not knowing anything about it and was not impressed but did not have it long enough to seriously put it through its paces. I do remember that it sounded like a typical portable radio. You could listen but the sonic quality was not a priority in its development.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

Consider A Sony hd radio, Very nice tuner and it receives the HD service
Audiokarma
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Hi,

I would go with an old Zenith table radio for better long distance AM reception quality. Those old Zeniths were the business on AM. Their FM is good too.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

The GE SupeRadio is excellent. I have several and use them often for listening to AM broadcast band DX. They are discontinued now so they may be a bit scarce but I suspect they are still available with a little hunting.

Here are a few helpful links for information about them and other related items:

GE Superadio info:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r.../gesr_faq.html
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...gesr_tech.html

Excellent source of radios and information about them:
http://www.ccrane.com/
Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
markdi

One of the radio's I have is the c crane cc radio.

seems like a very nice radio to me

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/index.aspx
Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

As one who loves radio and listens to AM and shortwave almost exclusively, I can say the best signal performance in a non tube radio i.e. transistor portable is definitely found in the shortwave portables. They have the RF performance characteristics not found in your typical Walmart portable radio. A notable exception would be the Tivoli units. I have the iPAL and it is very sensitive on AM. For serious listening I use either my 1937 Philco tombstone, Hallicrafters S-53A or one of my shortwave transistor portables. I have three, Sony 7600GR, Eton E-10 and Kaito 1102.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 PM
AK Member

I have my Eton sitting on a Hallicrafters SW500 (S-120) tube radio and at night I listen to it on a set of magnetic headphones when listening to Theatre of the Mind, music from the 30s, 40s and 50s and SWL. I prefer tubes on AM, just brings me back closer to my childhood experiences. But the OP was asking about a modern radio. The thing I like about the Eton is that it is an analog radio though it has a digital readout. I've not ever really enjoyed the sound of any digital tuner nor like the control systems.
Audiokarma