Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2011, 09:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice that you're writing a novel that is of interest to us VK'ers. However, way to much technical detail for the average reader to comprehend or even care about. I know your main character is a TV repairman circa 1961, but keep it simple and moving. Ie: Damn, It was an older model RCA color set. He'd worked on his share of these hulking beasts. "I just know this is gonna be a bench job" he muttered, as he started to remove the giant set's back to check the tubes. Sure enough, the acrid scent of burnt electronics invaded his nose. "No simple tube swap here." Guess I'll give her the bad news that I have to pull the chassis and take it to the shop." Then you can get into the woman's reply, how much she paid for the set and there's no damn color shows most of the time. Ect. I'll leave the dialogue to you. If you get into all the details of deguassing the set or changing specific tubes your reader's eyes will glaze over. Have the woman complain and discribe the symptons and your experienced hero TV repair guy do a quick diagnosis, explain the problem, what ever you come up with, and pull the chassis. Hell, it could be the "fringe area localizer switch" for all the woman knows. She just wants it fixed and he wants out of that house.

-Steve D.