Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Workin' Late Again

Watching black and white TV may even help kids to enjoy spending more quality time away from the tube. All to often young minds have difficulty distinguishing between reality and the make believe that they see so much of. There's also that correlation to reading a book, in that the black and white programming can actually help to spark the imagination into thinking at a higher level. Possibly that's why so many people reject black and white programming in today's world - because their mental imaging was never challenged to develop at a young age. So we end up believing that we need to rely on the latest and greatest technology to enjoy our lives. In other words, as a society we're becoming more and more commercially dependent.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 12-07-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Learning as I go

Most kids im my school have never even see a tube radio and when they see some of my they almost always invaribly want to turn it into a gituar amp or plug am ipod into it because there are no pop am stations here only talk gospel classic country and a few oldies stations that I can pick up on a good night.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

My son is 11 and watches 3-stooges and I Love Lucy daily on my 53 Zenith. Kids think my radios and old tvs are neat.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think we have lost the OP...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

That Muntz is a looker, definitely keep it intact! You won't regret it.
Audiokarma
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Learning as I go

I bet alot of people would live to have that set espacially beginners because muntz tv's are generally designed on the principal less is more. also meaning that there is less to go wrong wiht one than a more extravagent set.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Picture!

Well, I got the picture working on the Muntz. It's not pretty, but it's a start. The Muntz even tuned-in channels 2, 3, and 5 through the Cable using the tuning knob.

The picture is skewed on the screen at about a 15 degree angle, and the corners of the screen are cut off.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/a...5354043518.jpg

My kids: "Why is it black and white?"
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Learning as I go

I believe your picture is tulted Brause your Yoke is slightly off kilter all you have to do is listen it and turn it the corrected direction untill the picture is oriented correctly
Note I'm talking about the coil thing around the neck of the picture tube bit not the rings that you can turn on it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:51 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Now theres a set that shows PROMISE

But god forbid, IF you should wanna gut it, for heavens sake.... SAVE THE GIBBLETS!!

SR
Old 12-12-2012, 08:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

yep thats definate a loose yoke there ,it looks like it slid back and has falling down thats why you see the rounded corners at the top.
Audiokarma
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

Going by that picture indicates that all the circuitry within is functioning pretty well considering the age of it. The yoke needs to be adjusted and pushed forward to cure the tilt. Don't wreck it dude

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenz75 View Post
The yoke needs to be adjusted and pushed forward to cure the tilt.
DO be careful, as there are high voltage pulses on bare solder terminals on the yoke. With the set off, loosen the strap that holds the yoke on the CRT neck, and gently push it toward the front of the set sliding it on the neck. And try to tilt the yoke in the direction and angle so as to cancel the tilt in the video image. tighten loosely the strap, and turn the set on to see how well you got it corrected. It may take a few iterations to get it correct. Once you got it good, finger tighten the yoke strap. Not tighter than that, as it is a glass tube it's squeezing.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

agree with care, yokes can bite you real hard, best to adj a bit with the set off and then try again.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
DO be careful, as there are high voltage pulses on bare solder terminals on the yoke. With the set off, loosen the strap that holds the yoke on the CRT neck, and gently push it toward the front of the set sliding it on the neck. And try to tilt the yoke in the direction and angle so as to cancel the tilt in the video image. tighten loosely the strap, and turn the set on to see how well you got it corrected. It may take a few iterations to get it correct. Once you got it good, finger tighten the yoke strap. Not tighter than that, as it is a glass tube it's squeezing.
Thanks for the details. Is the Yoke the white ring in the photo below? Sorry to be such a noob.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

The entire thing, white and green thing, with the coil in the middle.

Be careful though, you can get a shock.
Audiokarma