Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Dumping the Muntz

I recently picked-up an old Muntz console that includes a working B&W 26" TV, a tuner, amp, and a pair of speakers. I'm keeping the tuner and amp, but plan to remove the TV components.

A few questions:
1) Are any of the TV parts worth keeping? Is there anything else fun I could make from the components?
2) How do I pull the hardware out without killing myself?

Here are some pics: http://tinyurl.com/bl4cne8

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Administrator

A Muntz is a classic set, why would you want to tear it apart? Especially if it's working?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by areaglew View Post
2) How do I pull the hardware out without killing myself?
Thanks.
Maybe you shouldn't tell anyone in this forum about it and you should remain safe.

Seriously, why would you want to do such a thing?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

you could just put it up for sale , it looks like a nice set there's no need to destroy it, flip it make alittle extra money.

Last edited by snelson903; 12-07-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Where are you located?
Audiokarma
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Workin' Late Again

A good 23DVP4 CRT can't be that easy to come by. That's actually a decent looking combo. Folks here are a little touchy about parting these out.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello junking out this set is commiting a mortal sin to the tv gods of the world besides it is murder think before you take action... Timothy
Old 12-07-2012, 07:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oops...

So, my mistake. I apologize.

I came here looking for advice from experts in analog video equipment... what I found was experts in analog video equipment with a love and passion for the machinery. My fault. No sarcasm here... I appreciate your passion.

So, let me ask a different set of questions that might be better suited to this group:
1) Let's suppose I kept the console intact and tried to restore it to original condition (knowing that I don't really have the skills of a restorer). What would be the best outcome I should shoot for? Would a 1963 B&W TV display a decent picture from cable or satellite? Would my kids' video games display on the screen? What other hardware would I need to retrofit a cable, satellite, or video game signal into this little bubble screen?

2) Suppose I decide that #1 is not an option, and that I need to remove the TV from the console so I can use the shelf space for the kids' xbox/wii/whatever. How would I remove the TV components from the console in such a way that I could preserve them for someone who might want to restore the unit at a later time?

Here's the thing: I love, love, love the console. It perfectly fits the retro-style basement design that I'm building for my kids to enjoy. I currently don't see how a B&W TV would fit into that plan, but if you have ideas, please share your passion with me so I can have a better picture of what is possible with this equipment. Any visionaries out there that can tell me how this unit could be fun or intriguing for a bunch of 8-12 year olds?

I'm located just south of Atlanta, by the way, for the one who asked.

Thanks again. And sorry.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

a simple RF modulator will allow the tv to work with most video devices. It will output to channel 3 or 4, and you feed it a audio signal and a composite video signal for the input.

As far as value from a kids perspective, I use my old tvs as learning tools for a generation that would otherwise have no clue about the history of manufacturing in the US. There is something about old tube sets that is captivating, when my kid friends would come over they were all fascinated by glowing tubes. Beside there is a LOT of good programing that is in BW for the kids (and adults) to watch, there is more to life that video games.

My DD has gone on to study electrical engineering, and I would like to think that the early introduction to old tv tech may have spurred that interest.

TCM has loads of programming in BW as does the Military Channel

I would keep the set intact, and just get a cheap flat screen to set on top for the video stuff anyway. Save the CRT for those special occasions like viewing Casablanca or The Fountain Head or maybe Sargent York.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

you could make it a project for both you and your kids ,everyone can learn and spend time together even if its only 1 hour a night or week ends .get some manauls and a schematic for it ,theres plenty of videos on youtube about restoring tv's / radios ,it would be like restoring a old car together but cheaper you never know it might spark an interest in your kids to learn more about electronics ,anything that will get your kids away from the video games and to learn for there future is aways a plus. and there are plenty of people here that are more than happy to help you if you get stuck .
Audiokarma
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

And don't forget to read up on the colorful career of Earl "Madman" Muntz - an American innovator way too forgotten!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its not a common tv set so you might keep that in mind before ripping it appart , some videogames would look interesting in black and white , also theres popeye , 3 stooges , laurel and hardy , the little rascals , all things that are black and white and kids would enjoy watching them on a true black and white tv , so i agree if need be get a cheap flat screen and put it on the wall above the muntz or on top of the muntz , and yes it would display a decent picture if working properly from cable / satelite ,and dvd

mike
Old 12-07-2012, 04:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have friends who have difficulty watching black and white, that's true. On the other hand, my kids grew up with an antique black and white TV in the family room along with a color set. The kids would watch vintage black and white movies and cartoons. I earlier bought the complete early Fleischer Popeye cartoons from the '30's and the kids were mesmerised by them and remained glued on the black and white image. They are older now and like Groucho Marx in "You Bet your Life". There remains a lot of old black and white programming on DVD which fits well on an old TV set.

I suppose that all of us now suffer media overload from all sides and having the time portal to a different time when things may have been a bit simpler, has provided our family an extra perspective on life.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello before my daughter died she was raised on black and white tv we use to watch tv land when they had retromercials along with the alfred hitchcock hour and honey west and leave it to beaver just to name a few she was only 11 when she passed away I think that wonderful memory of us watching these old sets is what keeps me going from day to day it is a wonderful feeling to see your kids watching tv the way we use to...Timothy
Old 12-07-2012, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by areaglew View Post
Here's the thing: I love, love, love the console. It perfectly fits the retro-style basement design that I'm building for my kids to enjoy. I currently don't see how a B&W TV would fit into that plan, but if you have ideas, please share your passion with me so I can have a better picture of what is possible with this equipment. Any visionaries out there that can tell me how this unit could be fun or intriguing for a bunch of 8-12 year olds?
You might want to look at this thread:
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=256421
jr
Audiokarma